Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Dry January

8,381 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ChiveOn
Geriatric Punk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who all is in?

I did this last year. It was great. Lost a little weight and had more energy. Just a good way to start the year.
always gig em
AG
Also trying to do this. At least until the super bowl.

AggieOO
Nope. Have a birthday this month.

Good luck to those cutting it out. I'll probably do a month later in the year.
toofbrush
Hoosegow
I'm in.
bushytailed
AG
I was planning to do "mostly sober" January. For me that means no drinking during the work week and limited drinking on the weekends.

Good luck to those cutting it out completely!
GIGEMeh
In for more than just January. Potentially all of 2017.

I've slowly increased my drinking while decreasing my workouts. Drinking makes me way less likely to work out the next day, so I'm recogning it as a detriment to my goals.
bigtruckguy3500
Sooner Born
Good luck! I have cut back significantly but still love great beer and great cocktails too much to go without.
wcb
AG
Soda is more my vice (one blue Monster daily). Nothing but water starting tomorrow (with the exception of hard / long workouts which will include electrolytes + calories).

Finally overhauling my nutrition for the first time in a while. Hoping to see my lowest weight in 20 years by March 31.
backintexas2013
AG
I am in
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Same here. And February as well.
jetch17
AG
I'm dry til the 27th (my bday)
OaklandAg06
AG
I'm in as well, and going for a dry 2017 as well, maybe even beyond.

I have a decent amount of weight to lose, and can only work out in mornings due to commute. Drinking at night means no AM workout usually.

My sister is also cutting it out and I want to support her.

1st child is due in March (don't worry I'm the father!) midnight feedings and diaper changes are easier when sober I imagine.

Good luck to everyone else who is going dry in 2017!
AZAG08
AG
Im in. Have been since August
Blanco Ag
AG
I'm in. Not only is drinking a huge headwind against my fitness goals, but I am also trying to save money. Much less alcohol and diet sodas will hopefully charge up my cardio and workout routines and keep a lot more money in my pocket each month.
toofbrush
Geriatric Punk
AG
OaklandAg06 said:

I'm in as well, and going for a dry 2017 as well, maybe even beyond.

I have a decent amount of weight to lose, and can only work out in mornings due to commute. Drinking at night means no AM workout usually.

My sister is also cutting it out and I want to support her.

1st child is due in March (don't worry I'm the father!) midnight feedings and diaper changes are easier when sober I imagine.

Good luck to everyone else who is going dry in 2017!

Congrats. Had my first in September. The last thing you want to do is change your baby at 3:00 am with a booze headache. Not worth it. That's one of my motivators for sure.

Really, though, sometimes it is just nice to remember what life was like before intentionally ingesting a poison became a regular part of it.
drewbie08
AG
In as well.
Aggietaco
AG
I've noticed that I drink considerably less after Aggie football wraps up for the year, which makes a dry January pretty easy.
RedlineAg08
I'm on board. Hoping to parley a dry January into a dry February/March.

That'll be the longest period of not drinking for me since I was probably 15.
swc93
AG
Have a jug of Jameson's in my office; will be resisting for the next 30 days.
Bunk Moreland
Started today since it's first day back from the holiday.

I'm in through the Super Bowl at least.
K Bo
AG
Going at least 90 days here. Good luck to all!
Hoosegow
It's when I stop that I realize I drink because I'm bored.
P.U.T.U
AG
Oh I thought you were talking about another kind of dry

RedlineAg08
100% true for me.
Goldie Wilson
I'm in for a mostly dry January. The Cowboys being in the playoffs prevents me from going all in
Discovery77
AG
I am in M-F, but the weekends have some parties and such on the weekends. Plan on keeping this pattern till NIOSA for those of us in SA.
wxguy95
AG
I very rarely drink, so I'm in.
Endo Ag
AG
Hoosegow
I thought this was interesting:

Think you drink a lot?

They conclude:
But the consequences of the Pareto Law are different when it comes to industries like alcohol, tobacco, and now marijuana. If you consume 10+ drinks per day, for instance, you almost certainly have a drinking problem. But the beverage industry is heavily dependent on you for their profits.

"One consequence is that the heaviest drinkers are of greatly disproportionate importance to the sales and profitability of the alcoholic-beverage industry," he writes writes. "If the top decile somehow could be induced to curb their consumption level to that of the next lower group (the ninth decile), then total ethanol sales would fall by 60 percent."

I do wonder how size affects the data. According to an online calculator, if I drink 10 drinks over 3 hours, my BAC is 0.091. If a more average man of 175 pounds does the same, he is at .179. So do my theoretical 10 drinks a night the same as the 175 lbs guy when it comes to - does hoose have a problem. When I was at my heaviest/strongest my BAC would be only .067. And if I was a 150 lb woman that would be a BAC of .258!

Regardless - I'm on day 4. I wake up in the morning feeling just as miserable as if I had had my normal amount.
AggieOO
Hoosegow said:

Regardless - I'm on day 4. I wake up in the morning feeling just as miserable as if I had had my normal amount.
Hoosegow
One week in...
always gig em
AG
8 days in, normally a huge beer guy. Not craving it surprisingly. Still focused until the super bowl.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.