Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Training for half-marathon - 2 months enough?

646 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SJEAg
SJEAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've recently started jogging in an effort to lose some weight, and was thinking about maybe setting a goal of a half-marathon. Is 2 months enough to train for this as a novice? I don't care about my speed, but I would like to finish without having to walk any of it.

6'0, 183lb (down from 198 in 2 mos thanks to the exercise and low carb/calorie eating), almost 40YO.

Right now I can jog like 4-5 miles. At the end I am tired and achy in the legs, but not like I am going to die (could probably push further if needed). I feel recovered and can go again the next day. This is up from a month ago where I was pretty much only able to alternate a quarter mile jogging/walking. I feel like I've made nice progress in a short time, but not sure that improvement is sustainable going forward. I hope to lose another 5-8lbs over the next few months as well if that potentially helps my endurance.

Anyway, I have time and do train almost every day...probably for only more than 2 hours on the weekend though. Currently, I am jogging probably 4-5 times a week at night/weekends, walking at work as a 2nd instance 2-3 times a week, and lifting weights (mostly core and arms) twice a week.

Reason for the rush is there is an event in my community at the end of January that looks like a good newbie race. Figured I need to sign up soon if I want to do it, but the last thing I want is to fail once I get there. Plus if I do well and stay motivated, I could potentially set a goal to do the full marathon at the same event next year. Thanks for the advice!
wcb
AG
Take a look at Hal Higdon's novice race plan. Line it up with your calendar and see if you can pick it up 8 weeks out.
Matsui
AG
Yes

You need to do 2 shorter runs during the week and 1 long run on the weekend

Follow a Hal Higdon plan online.
crowag
AG
The main issue will be if your body can hold up to the increase in mileage over a short time period. I trained quickly for my fist half and ended up with severe knee pain (IT Band) which is common when you ramp up your mileage too quickly. I would recommend strengthening your core and your hips in conjunction with your running/training. Good luck!
91AggieLawyer
AG
I think you're going to run into injury issues by doing too much too fast. Keep in mind that most of the plans were written by runners and if runners, or those with some conditioning (like bike riders), follow these plans, things often work well. Its when runners put together plans for non-runners, or those just starting, that things often go wrong.

I've never ran a half, but based on my own actual research (myself and one other person), I believe a non-runner (especially an older one -- 30 and older) needs roughly 25 weeks to build up to a full running 5K level. Now, thats talking about someone either getting off the couch or even someone who's fit but not a runner and includes about a month of walking only.

I think you need advice from some people who went from a couch to a half successfully and see what time frame they recommend. You're in a different place than someone who's been running 20-25 miles a week for a long time.
SJEAg
AG
Today I did 9 miles....7.35 of that running as my long run. I was tired and achy at the end...probably not much running left in me, but OK. No weird or isolated pains that would indicate injury.

I plan to go by the referred Higdon's plan through this month and see where I stand at the end of this month. If things don't look like I am set up for success, I'll delay. Looks like there is another potential 13.1 near me in March, I'll go for that as my backup.

Thanks all!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.