Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Prostate Biopsy question?

785 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JW
WC94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DRE+ and my psa is 3. I'm 44 with no cancer on either side of the family. No erection or urination problems (I get up once a night to piss for as long as I can remember) Urologist wants to do a 12 core biopsy and I'm nervous about a false negative and more concerned messing with my prostate will have some life long consequences.

Can anybody recommend an alternative?
OregonAggie
AG
Are they doing the biopsy solely based on the age and PSA of 3 or did the doc feel something abnormal on the DRE as well?

ED issues have been reported by men but they seem to go away. Urinary problems do seem to increase after biopsies though. There's a couple studies out there that can give you data if you look them up.
Spore Ag
Get a second opinion. Wife scheduled for pancreatic surgery, decided to go to MD Anderson and with comparison CR scans decision was made that risk of surgery outweighed the benign aspect of the tumor.
One hell of a relief.
WC94
AG
OregonAggie,

My GP felt something abnormal, referred me to a urologist where he confirmed an abnormality and ordered a biopsy. I just don't want them to go in blind taking 12 samples of my prostate. In fact them just poking on it, messed with me fully relieving myself for about a week. What happens when the cut pieces out?

I'd rather pay a premium for a non invasive test if possible.

The_Thinker
If you have an abnormal prostate the biopsy is a good idea. Risks are low but not zero.
JW
AG
Could look into prostate MRI as a noninvasive compromise.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.