Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Anyone done the Decker Challenge Half Marathon in Austin before?

1,002 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ReloadAg
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's this coming Sunday and I'm signed up for what will be my first half marathon on my way to running the Austin full marathon in February. I ran 12 miles last night so I think I should be ready for Sunday.

For anyone that may have done the Decker Challenge before, how hilly is it and how crowded is it as far as participants? How is the crowd support along the way?
LeftyHound
AG
I haven't run the race before, but the elevation gain doesn't look crazy if you're used to running on rolling hills.

https://austinrunners.org/events/decker-challenge/course/
Frozen Concoction
I've run this race several times. IIRC, there are typically around 800-1000 runners, but that may include the 5k. Parking is plentiful at the expo center and there is ample space to wait inside if it's cold and windy - which it usually is. There is no crowd support as the run is on two lane county roads around the lake. Save something for the hills starting around mile 9 - the grind up along the 130 service road is just the beginning of your suffering.
It's a classic local race. If you run 3M in January, you can expect to subtract about 5-6 minutes off your decker time.
ReloadAg
AG
Thanks for the info!
The InTIMidator
AG
I registered for it this week. I had targeted the February 13.1 race but a friend told me about Decker so I decided to run it just of the fun of it. I've raced a sprint tri and Longhorn 70.3 (the old running route with the hill) out there. I run my hilly neighborhood (Grand Mesa at Crystal Falls) from home once each week, so I get some run training with climbs.
AgSoccer2007
AG
ReloadAg
AG
Didn't realize my buddy'a account was still logged in when I tried to respond with the last post.

finished in just over 2 hours which is good for me. You're right about some of the hills though. I didn't have any trouble with the hill going up 130 but there was one around mile 11 that kicked my butt and left me grinding out the last couple of miles to the finish.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.