Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Those with bad and/or arthritic knees, need suggestions

877 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DallasAg2
P.U.T.U
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have arthritis in both knees and have always felt okay as long as I stayed active. I started doing workouts with weights they have been killing me. I took it easy by slowly increasing the weight and making sure my form was good on squats but lately every time I have done squats my knees pretty much killed me. I have been doing what does not hurt them (dumbbell lunges, goblet squats, dead lifts, etc). I am curious what leg workouts the people that have bad knees tend to prefer.

I have gained 35 pounds since I stopped triathlons with most being muscle and I rarely run as I swim for cardio. I know gaining the weight does not help the knees but I have carried more weight before so it is nothing new. Well except me being old.
Aggietaco
AG
I'm young-ish, but I have some minor arthritis in both knees that bothers me sometimes, typically when I do a large amount of squats or lunges of any type. I've found that the rehband type neoprene sleeves that crossfit folks use have helped, especially when it's cold to help keep my joints warm and lose. I have a few from WOD Nation on Amazon that I rotate on and off as needed. Regular running also seems to keep the knee monsters away, though that does start to introduce some ITB similar pains on the long runs.
RedlineAg08
Like Aggietaco said, use knee sleeves. Rehband is good, but there are cheaper options that work just as well. Get some 5mm or 7mm.

I have arthritis in my right knee from several injuries/surgeries. Form is imperative on squats, of course. If your knees are tracking incorrectly, then your knees are going to start feeling it. But secondly, you need to be sure your stretching your hamstrings a lot. Tight hamstrings cause alot of knee pain.
P.U.T.U
AG
I haven't read up on knee supports, what is the reason?

I am going to take a step back with my legs and focus on getting them balanced. This ole 32 year old is feeling it and it will be a slow build up to get strong again, at least in the legs.
Aggietaco
AG
Compression, warmth of the joint, and some moderate control of the patella.
aggiederelict
Compression knee braces are more mental than anything. But if it feels good to have the support then use them.
Gordon Bombay
AG
I replaced my foam roller with a 4 inch PVC pipe and I do the same type of rolling I would do with the foam roller. Really seems to get in there and help iron stuff out. Helps reduce my pain and maintain a little flexibility.
SteveA
AG
I have Swiss cheese cartilage in both of my knees. Had one scoped last year after a hunk of something started floating around after a soccer game. Ortho said not to do squats or lunges, as the force in the back of the kneecap speeds up deterioration. I rides lots of bikes, though.
02skiag
AG
Plyometrics seemed to help me when I had a knee that was constantly achy after working out or running.
DallasAg2
AG
I have been riding one of those Spin Bikes and my knee has even started hurting. I am researching to make sure the bike is set up properly for me. My knees are not going too far forward. I figures all biking was good and better than running.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.