Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Running in the Dark

5,779 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Aggietaco
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is that time of year, soon the sun will fade before most of us get home from work.

What safety features do you wear to remain visible and to also make it easier for you to see?
Matsui
AG
clipable blinkers/flashers
hope your gear has some sort of reflector
zip04
AG
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00S6V9X8A/ref=sxts1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477673890&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

They can be clipped to clothing or you can use the rubber straps to fix them to your bike.
AggieOO
these things are great! cars slow way down and give you a wide berth b/c they are so confused. plus, gives you enough light that you don't step in potholes or trip over uneven sidewalks. Not enough light for trail use, but they are great for road running.

http://nightrunner270.com/
Aggietaco
AG
I generally just run at night with a high viz vest strapped on over my shirt/jacket. I don't run sidewalks though and the streets around me are paved well enough that I know where the few root bumps are.

I can attest to the confusion caused by those night runner style lights that OO posted. I watched 2 women run down my street a few weeks ago with something similar strapped to their feet and it wasn't until I could see them with my front porch light that I knew what the heck I was looking at.
Ragoo
AG
are they pretty secure, i mean they don't bounce around, right?
sills2010
AG
I run with my dog in the morning, and got a LED dog leash. I run in the road (no sidewalk in my neighborhood) and it really gets the attention of drivers and they slow down.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F21Y8UO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
AggieOO
Ragoo said:

are they pretty secure, i mean they don't bounce around, right?
no bouncing and you don't even notice them. you can even adjust the angle of the light.
AggieOO
Might not apply to most on here, but those shoe lights are also GREAT for ultras in the dark. They won't last all night, but the wife and i both have pairs, so i can grab the second pair when the first one dies. You still need a headlamp, but they help you see the topographical relief of the trail much better. And an added bonus is that my wife always knows when I'm rolling into the aid station instead of trying to pick out runners in the dark.
Rudyjax
AG
I don't use lights. I used to but I found that cars blind you with their high beams. I use my reflective clothing.
wangus12
AG
I'm super pale so I just run shirtless
ommama
I wear a headlamp.
tamuags08
AG
Headlamp + blinkie
AgPediRPh
AG
$5 cap light to spot snakes and skunks. And a Noxgear LED vest. Kind of pricey at $50 but I am VERY visible to drivers.
The Pilot
AG
I usually don't do anything different but I think I'm going to give the lights OO posted a try.
easttexasaggie04
AG
In the dark I always wear a headlamp and try to wear a bright colored shirt (when I have a clean one).

This is the headlamp I use, it is VERY bright...

Petzle RXP (now called Reactik)
Ragoo
AG
Bump

Just got my nightrumner270 last night. Hoping to use them in the morning.

Any gear recs for cooler weather running? I have a couple of long sleeve shirts that work well but what about pants?
Rudyjax
AG
Ragoo said:

Bump

Just got my nightrumner270 last night. Hoping to use them in the morning.

Any gear recs for cooler weather running? I have a couple of long sleeve shirts that work well but what about pants?

You don't need pants unless your running in well below 30 degrees.
Rudyjax
AG
Wait. Male or female?
The Pilot
AG
I have a couple of Nike tights I wear when the wind chill is below 30. Tolerance for different weather conditions varies quite a bit by runner.

I find in general I need:

Gloves <50
Long sleeve <45
Ear protection <40
Tights <30
Below 20 I'm probably not running.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

I have a couple of Nike tights I wear when the wind chill is below 30. Tolerance for different weather conditions varies quite a bit by runner.
Yep. I think its funny that I can go climb in 0 degree whether and not be cold, but I was cold as all get out yesterday morning at 45 degrees.

I will wear a long sleeve shirt and some lightweight tights if I feel cold.
Ragoo
AG
Unthought Known said:

Wait. Male or female?
male.
Ragoo
AG
The Pilot said:

I find in general I need:

Gloves <50
Long sleeve <45
Ear protection <40
Tights <30
Below 20 I'm probably not running.

i hate the cold. I don't mind being warm while running. It is that first mile or so that I think some pants would be beneficial.

Suggestions?
The Pilot
AG
I think most of mine are from Nike. I don't know that they are anything specific except for men's running tights.
Sooner Born
I wear tights in the 40s. My knees don't like the cold and I find my muscles warm up quicker and I get into rhythm sooner if I wear tights.

Sooner Born
For tights suggestions, I have a few pairs of nikes, a pair from REI and a pair from Running Room. None are better than the other.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I usually wear the Nike tights in the low 40's and a super light jacket. Everybody is different. That first mile really sucks when it's cold. I don't mind shedding layers.
ReloadAg
AG
Does anyone have any more recommendations for a really bright head lamp?
frorge
AG
Black diamond storm:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Equipment-Storm-Headlamp/dp/B004AJLTK2

I've worn this for two 24 hour obstacle races. Mud, dirt, submerged under about 15 ft of water. Ran it on brightest setting 12+ hours and still has charge.

Can't beat it.

There is a newer version that is slighter brighter, and more expensive. I haven't used it.
frorge
AG
Also, for strobes you can't beat this:

https://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Lights-Guardian-Dog-Light/dp/B005UZMOEA

Just clip it to the headlight strap and you are good to go.

Also completely water proof and bright. Been using the same battery for 2+ years. I do pretty much all my running at night, so this and my storm headlamp get a lot of use.
AggieOO
not sure i'd consider 100 lumens "really bright."

its bright enough to get the job done. I ran my first 100 miler on a 90 lumen headlamp, but it left a little to be desired. I like at least 120. A lot of people are running with stuff in the 200 range.
frorge
AG
True.

I guess I should phrase it as, if you are looking for a tough as nails headlamp that is pretty bright that will last a long time and not fail on you, I would suggest it.
The Pilot
AG
Overly bright lights, nothing like blinding the crap out of oncoming people.
wangus12
AG
I use the storm for climbing. Its a beast
AggieOO
The Pilot said:

Overly bright lights, nothing like blinding the crap out of oncoming people.
not sure about you, but my light is pointed down to the ground so i can see where i'm going, not straight ahead.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.