Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Anyone used 23&me ?

2,150 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by P.U.T.U
Muy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not expecting it to tell me what I'm going to die from , more interested in where my bloodline has immigrated from, since I'm adopted.

Anyone used the service before, and have any thoughts?

Thanks!
ChiveOn
AG
i got to do it for free as part of a study of IBD, it was pretty neat to show the breakdown
Tailgate88
AG
I did it. I'm adopted and was always told my biological mother was Irish. Turns out there is no Irish on my mom's side, but there is some on my dad's.

It's pretty cool, and worth the money IMHO.
dlp3719
AG
I did it to find out what I was. Easy to do. Got an interesting report. Worth $99.

chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Supposed to be pretty accurate?
Absolute
AG
Might try that. Adopted as well and kind of curious.
dave99ag
AG
I wonder how young you can send in a sample? Would like to know a little more about our kiddo.
Tailgate88
AG
dave99ag said:

I wonder how young you can send in a sample? Would like to know a little more about our kiddo.

As long as they are old enough to fill a test tube half way with spit you should be able to send it in.
dave99ag
AG
Tailgate88 said:

dave99ag said:

As long as they are old enough to fill a test tube half way with spit you should be able to send it in.

He's about to start teething, so might be worth a shot.
dave99ag
AG
Doesn't look like it'll work until he can spit.
Quote:

Note that children's drool (found outside the mouth) does not contain sufficient amounts of DNA for analysis; only saliva (found inside the mouth) can be used.
Aggie_95
AG
P.U.T.U
AG
I am thinking about trying it since I have one jacked up family tree. But if they say I have more French blood in me than I think I am burning the results.
Big Cat `93
AG
Really thinking about doing this just to finally see how strong my Native American heritage is. I've heard lots of stories but nothing definitive.

I already know about my French background, PUTU. One of my great grandmothers was the first in that line of the family who could speak a language other than French. You won't hear me complain, though. My mom's Cajun cooking is out of sight.
P.U.T.U
AG
Big.Cat-93 said:

Really thinking about doing this just to finally see how strong my Native American heritage is. I've heard lots of stories but nothing definitive.

Yeah I had a friend who always thought they had a good portion of native American in them, turns out they had none. They did have some African in them though.

Ancestory has DNA testing for $69 right now
Big Cat `93
AG
Got my AncestryDNA results yesterday. I'm about as white as a person can be.

70% Great Britain
12% Ireland
6% Finland/NW Russia
5% Western Europe (has to be France via Canada and Louisiana)
4% Iberian Peninsula
1% Eastern Europe
1% Scandinavia
1% Western Asia (Caucasus)
P.U.T.U
AG
Me too, had more Scandinavian and less Irish than I thought. But like I thought I am a mutt.

41% Western European

24% Scandinavian

10% Irish

23% Trace (Eastern European, Iberian, Jewish European, Great Britain, Italy/Greece, Finland/Russian)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.