Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Airrosti Thoughts?

21,769 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AggieOO
Aggietaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, I've had off and on issues with my knees for the last 10-12 years or so mainly due to being out of shape and busting ass on skis, snowboards and motorcycles. I'm at a point where I've been working out regularly with a group for the past 14 months and since the beginning (with the exception of one dirt bike layover that led to aspiration of one of my knees and a month off of working out), have had minimal issues with my knees.

Last night at the tail end of a workout, coming up from a squat, I almost fell over due to a shooting pain in my left knee on the outside of my patella. Immediately called it quits and limped around the track to try and stretch and cool down. After icing it down when I got home, I woke up with some pains in the middle of the night and soreness this morning, being careful not to stress it too much. Today, I'm looking to finally go talk to someone, hopefully in depth, about my knees and if there are any real issues with my joints or if I'm just a clumsy thrill seeker with bad exercise form.

The guys I work out with (Camp Gladiator) were pimping Airrosti a while back and I'm not quite sold enough to make an appointment. Has anyone had any experiences (good, bad or indifferent) with an airrosti and specifically with joint pain? Honestly, I've have very limited interaction with orthopedists lately, but I would classify all of my visits as neutral or negative, so I'm looking for something a bit different. And I really don't want to be sent to an MRI right off the bat to pay for imaging on both of my knees. The airrosti sales pitch just sounds too good to be true.
AggieOO
where are you located?

from what i've heard/seen from arrosti, they are pretty legit. If they can't treat you, they refer you elsewhere. The won't treat tears, and only work on soft tissue. They are big into KT tape for post treatment/recovery, but i'm not sure how much i buy into that portion.

Apart from an indirect personal connection to the company, i also know several co-workers who've been treated there and swear by it. I was VERY skeptical of it in the beginning.
russaggie
AG
I went for an initial consult with them once. I never went back because they submit everything to insurance in a way that makes the insurance not cover the visit. They basically double bill it as a physical therapy AND chiropractic services. Insurances won't pay for two treatments in one visit. And it was pretty pricey to pay out of pocket.

I am not sure where you're located but you may want to also look into a chiropractor that does Active Release Techniques. Very similar to Airrosti without the bruising from them jamming their thumb into the soft tissue that is bothering you (this is a big part of their "treatment". The resulting bruises is one of the reasons they use so much of the KT tape. Active Release is a lot like physical therapy and help with range of motion as well as sprains and strains.

AggieOO
the bruising has nothing to do with the KT tape.

but yes, you are correct. airrosti most likely won't be covered by insurance. their goal is to have you done in 3 treatments.
russaggie
AG
I didn't mean that the bruising was caused by the tape. I meant that one of their uses for the tape is to help reduce/heal the bruising after the treatment.
AggieOO
partially correct. its also to increase blood flow to the injured area. again, not sure how much i buy into that.
aggiederelict
If you claim to make a big change in 3 visits you have to be very aggressive. It works well for acute injuries not for underlying causes for chronic injuries.
AggieOO
not sure that i've seen anywhere that they claim to change those underlying conditions, but doesn't mean they didn't.

sorry, not defending or trying to promote airrosti, but its a company/treatment that I know a decent amount about. I don't work for them, but let's just say i've been to their christmas party.
Aggietaco
AG
I'm in North Austin, AggieOO.
Aggietaco
AG
quote:
I went for an initial consult with them once. I never went back because they submit everything to insurance in a way that makes the insurance not cover the visit. They basically double bill it as a physical therapy AND chiropractic services. Insurances won't pay for two treatments in one visit. And it was pretty pricey to pay out of pocket.

Not that it's a deal breaker, but of course their website would lead you to believe otherwise:

quote:
Do you accept insurance?
Absolutely! In fact, Airrosti participates in most major health care plans, and more and more carriers are adding us to their network of providers. Your treatment at Airrosti is often a direct benefit (meaning you can visit an Airrosti provider without a referral from a physician). In many cases, you will only pay a copayment, and several large employers are beginning to cover the services at Airrosti at 100%.
When you call to request your your next appointment at Airrosti, our Client Relations Team will verify your coverage specifics and let you know any upfront treatment costs you can expect prior to your visit. We help eliminate any surprises and work to ensure your experience at Airrosti is convenient, pleasant, and hassle-free.
AggieOO
If you are looking to talk to someone, I can put you in touch with someone. They are in North Austin, out by 4 points. If that's too far, they can probably refer you to someone closer.
Aggietaco
AG
More West than North, but I had an acquaintance visit Dr. Eledge at Vik if that's who you're referring. I was either going to contact them or the office at the end of my street if I go forward.
AggieOO
that's who I was going to send you to, though not directly. Though he's taking a new position within airrosti and a new doc is coming in to that location starting in march, i believe.

if you have questions about airrosti and want someone there to answer them, I can still put you in touch with the CRS at Vik.
Aggietaco
AG
Sure, shoot me an email at [removed]. Thanks.
bam02
AG
Taco,

I have gone to Airrosti for a few different things and have been amazed. I was very skeptical but went after not seeing any progress with traditional PT.

I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of basic human physiology and it still doesn't make total sense to me how it works. That said, it has worked for me for three different issues and I have asked several physicians about it and they all said it actually makes sense.

Also, I've aleays had it covered by insurance and paid ~$40 per visit x3-4 visits per injury.
Max06
AG
I posted about it a couple weeks ago. My surgeon suggested that I wait to try it (although he did say that he has nothing against it at all).

http://texags.com/forums/48/topics/2593878/replies
AggieOO
taco - you should have an incoming email.
Lee91
AG
There is one in Round Rock. My daughter had a bad case of Sever's disease and they took care of it in a couple of visits (and this had gone on for years before).
DCC99
AG
My wife just got "released" from having her arm treated. We still don't know what she did to hurt it, but after 5 or so visits, she says it is much better. I have no idea how or why it's supposed to work. No idea on the cost/insurance. I'll see when I get the bill.
Quinn
AG
Like I said on the other thread, it worked for my shoulder when I had it done in HS, and I thought it felt awesome, too.
Aggietaco
AG
My knee is feeling better after a day of complete rest, but there is still a slight weakness and hint of pain when I tried a few unweighted squats after lunch. AggieOO, I responded to your lady friend about my situation to get her input. I'm interested in giving it a try if it's worthwhile over going to an ortho.
AggieOO
hopefully you get it worked out regardless of where you end up.

Obviously she's pro airrosti, but I dont' think she's completely brainwashed.
The InTIMidator
AG
I went to Chiropractor Seth Wagenblast for Active Release Therapy and I was ready to run again after three treatments; and ran the Freescale Austin Half Marathon pain free three weeks later. His office is in old downtown Round Rock.
Aggietaco
AG
Couldn't stay away from workouts last night and this morning but managed to avoid most leg exercises. Not much pain left in my knee except for near the end of the 1.5 hour commute to work, so I've got an appointment scheduled for Monday morning with Airrosti. I'll update after the appointment with my thoughts.
AggieOO
go easy on your opinion of the CRS if you don't like her.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.