Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Type 1 Diabetes Treatment/Discussion

12,977 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by RightWingConspirator
culdeus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RightWingConspirator said:

Still waiting on my insurance to approve the G6, but I suspect that will happen any day now. Are any of you checking periodically just to ensure the G6 is accurate? Not having to calibrate periodically could be a nice little perk, but I'm wondering how the G6 is as far as accuracy if you don't have to calibrate?

Nails start to finish. Almost creepy

Biggest issue is the tape sucks. Gotta find an aftermarket solution that works. Currently using the sugarpatch because the one Dex offer for free is hot Garbage.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Are the adhesives for the Dexcom G6 sensors the same as they had for the G5 sensors? If so, I can wear those for up to two weeks without any lifting problem at all. It stays put the entire time even after showers, etc.

Where is everyone wearing their sensors? I used to wear them in my stomach, but I now fine I prefer to wear them in my side quad. I don't feel it at all and it stays put for the entire session.
culdeus
AG

Are the adhesives for the Dexcom G6 sensors the same as they had for the G5 sensors? If so, I can wear those for up to two weeks without any lifting problem at all. It stays put the entire time even after showers, etc.

Where is everyone wearing their sensors? I used to wear them in my stomach, but I now fine I prefer to wear them in my side quad. I don't feel it at all and it stays put for the entire session.
It's similar to the Gen2 G5 stickers. They swapped adhesive at some point after carrying over the G4 sticker to the G5. The G4 sticker was better imo.
380Ag
AG
RWC-- Is your endo ok with your A1C that low? If my sugars ran as low as yours do, I would pass out.

My diabetes story:
Going on 39 years. Diagnosed at 3...

I just switched from the G5 to the G6. Biggest issue I have is with the sensors. About 1 in 4 don't sync with my phone. Just a quick call to Dexcom and they rush replacements right out.

I no longer wear a pump. Fiasp and Tresiba for me.

And if you want a good endo in Dallas, check out Dr. Brian Welch.
RightWingConspirator
AG
380, I realize that everyone runs their diabetes differently, so please don't take what I'm going to write as gospel for everyone with diabetes. This is how I choose to run my diabetes.

Simplistically put, if I want to have a non-diabetic's lifespan, I need to keep my sugars at non-diabetic levels. An A1C of 4.8 equates (according to Bernstein's methodology) to an average blood sugar of 92. That is close to non-diabetic levels. This is where I feel best. In fact, I try and keep my sugars pegged in the 70s, but that's not always easy. On a day-to-day basis, my blood sugars fluctuate between 40 and 105, but mostly hover in the 60-80 range. I'm good with this. As far as my endo, I don't know what he thinks. If I'm honest, I don't much care what he thinks. I've had T1 now for 35 years and I've had numerous Endo doctors advising me over the years. I cannot say that any of them ever had anything worthwhile to say as far as guidance and direction. They all leaned on conventional wisdom and patting me on the back for my terrible A1Cs uttering words like the following: "That's good for a diabetic." Why should the standard for diabetics be different than for a non-diabetic? I want to live as long as they do. I don't want to have any complications. I believe this is achieved by keeping the highs to a minimum, and by minimum I mean very rare occurrences. Over the last 13 years, I've seen blood sugars north of 200 maybe 8x?? I'm still working on the lows, but I feel the lows are manageable for me.

It wasn't until I took control of my own disease - with the help of the Bernstein book - that I was able to achieve these results. I'm pleased with where I'm at. I very seldom see blood sugars above 110 and I'm in perfect health with no detectable diabetes damage. I thank God and Dr. Bernstein for that.

I never knew how to achieve these results until I read the book. Surely no doctor gave me any advice on how to achieve these results.
Quinn
AG

Can't compare to G5, but I've had no issues with the G6 staying on. I wear mine all across my abdomen, but I'm sure I'll give my quad a shot sometime soon.
culdeus
AG
Quote:

Simplistically put, if I want to have a non-diabetic's lifespan, I need to keep my sugars at non-diabetic levels. An A1C of 4.8 equates (according to Bernstein's methodology) to an average blood sugar of 92.
I think you are the same guy that basically tries to run in that range.

There is no observational study that supports this, yet you continue to quote that causation/correlation stuff as if it is science. It's dangerous. If you can survive like that, great. More power to you. But that lifestyle comes with dramatic risks too that need to always be stated.

If someone ever was able to do a longitudinal observational study, my hypothesis is T1D with AIC in the <5.5 would have similar reduced lifespan to those >7.5 for the elevated risk factors of bed death and car fatalities. Of course it's just a guess, like yours that is just backed in anecdotal evidence and logic. <5.5 could equate to >10 maybe >12 but we don't know.

APC systems should go a long way to reducing bed death and those other risks. So there's that. This whole thing will go implantable in the next decade. At that point it's just a robo pancreas and a refill appointment.
Quinn
AG
APC?
RightWingConspirator
AG
Culdeus, respectfully, I'm not quoting any scientific evidence one way or the other, I'm simply leaning on my own logic and I believe I stated in my post that this how I manage my diabetes and that people should not take it as gospel.

It matters not a whit to me how others manage their diabetes. That's their business. I ran my diabetes for many years with significantly higher A1Cs which was all well and good until my body started breaking down. Anecdotal? Sure, but it is the most relevant piece of support that I have.

Bernstein's book cites many examples of folks whose complications turned around once they got their blood sugars in a "non-diabetic" range. That is good enough for me. In fact, Bernstein himself is 90 plus years old and last I heard still practicing medicine. He's been a T1 almost his entire life. This piece of anecdotal evidence is good enough for me. If you need more evidence than that, by all means, find the support you need to run your diabetes in the best way you see fit. Once again, I have found this is best for me and believe I wrote as much in my post.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.