Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ironman Texas 2011 - Race Report

9,693 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by drewbie08
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
100 degree 70.3
cjo03
cjo03
cjo03
AggieOO
Don't be scared I'm in. My gf is in. Scriffer is in. Hell, my brother-in-law who has yet to do a tri is in...

Then again, you are probably busy doing a Sprint...or maybe a 5K.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Great report, I can relate to the commute. Have had a 2hr + commute for years and it makes it a mess trying to train for anything.
Jerzzy
I can relate to the work commute too since I drive ti hospitals all over houston. And more days than not I don't know when my day will exactly end bc my schedule constantly changes, I would usually just keep my gym bash in my car and hope for the best
jdaerr
I bet that Thursday morning commute was rough after the 3:00 a.m. long run. Impressive.

My brother has a similar commute, but in the opposite direction. West Loop to Woodlands.

cjo03
AG
his average speed is probably faster than mine.. although there have been mornings when i've seen northbound lanes backed up as well.

after most of those runs, i would take a quick shower at the ymca and then jump on the woodlands express.. the 3 steps off the bus were scary after sitting with legs bent for 45+ minutes post long run.
drewbie08
AG
CJO, very awesome race report. I enjoyed reading that and hearing your insight and thoughts during the race. I am very impressed of your training schedule and balancing time between your cute kiddos and Britt, work and your awful commute. Truly impressive. 3:30am long runs is up there with the "crazy" crowd.

I'm sorry I was on the back half of the run course where you thought you could walk, haha. We strategically chose that spot so we could stand out from the masses around the market street area. You looked strong and were in good spirits each time, which is more than I can say for 50% of the people out there.

For those who haven't done an IM yet or are signed up for one soon, reading a race report like this should spur you to sign up for one or get even more excited. There are many highs and lows in each portion of the race. Doing a split faster than you thought is awesome, while going slower is a bit deflating. But the high crossing that finish line after a 6 month or longer journey is something you'll remember for the rest of your life.

And damn, CJO, you ate a LOT of food in the 24 hours following your race.

pinkdog
Impressive time. I can't imagine doing it in 90 degree heat. I love the twins! They are gorgeous.

cjo03
AG
thanks drewbie and pink.

drewbie, i do remember you guys out on panther creek.. you're lying if you said i looked strong on the 3rd lap

actually, i think it was dark by the 3rd lap and not sure y'all were still out there.. first lap was a good surprise and 2nd lap was awkward because y'all were all half naked by the time i came back around.

too bad you didn't get your fish camp counselor into the sport back in '04.. maybe he'd be a better athlete by now.
drewbie08
AG
It was hot out! You guys were half naked, so we wanted to be too. And I think it was just twice we saw you. Spectating an IM is exhausting. Long day.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.