Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Blood cord banking

854 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by planoaggie123
JBLHAG03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I guess this is the best forum for this topic....does anyone have opinions on cord blood banking for your kids? We didn't with our first, but second it dues next month, and I can't decide. Initial cost is around $2,000 plus annual storage fees every year. Title should probably be Cord Blood banking!

[This message has been edited by slschultz02 (edited 10/31/2011 3:52p).]
Bassmaster
AG
We did it for my son who was just born in July. If it were left up to me, I would not have done it. I think they play on the fears of parents and that the science is too uncertain right now to justify spending the money. However, my wife works at MD Anderson and she has seen success stories using cord blood, so she overruled me. If money is no object, then by all means, it is a nice insurance policy. I definitely wouldn't put my family in a bind in order to do it.
Kjodie
We thought about it, but both kids were born on the weekend and the "bank" wasn't open on weekends. Weird.
cjo03
AG
agree with bassmaster but we didn't do it for our preemie twins.
KidDoc
AG
It is a gamble really. In theory there could be amazing therapies and having their own stem cells to fix their autoimmune or bone marrow type problems would be pretty nifty.

However I think it is a pretty bad gamble. If you can swing the cash with no worries go for it. Personally I wouldn't spend $2000 on it if I had a newborn coming. Most stem cell type therapies use such primitive cells that it really won't matter if they are yours or someone elses (in theory!).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Deadbq95
AG
(full disclosure - I am very good friends with one of the principals involved with this venture)

You can bank dental stem cells http://www.store-a-tooth.com/index. I don't know the pricing but it definitly extends the time available to you if you 'missed the window' for cord blood banking.
Sq16Aggie2006
my wife and i did it, it was expensive, but it was one of those where the risk reward was off the charts. I probably would have paid $100K+, because if you need it, no cost is too high.
planoaggie123
AG
Big time bump!

I just paid annual fees for both our kids...again....ugh.

Curious if anyone has any more / new information. From what I have read....we are largely wasting money.

If our kids have issues, they would likely not even use their own as their own stem cells contain the same issue trying to resolve? Is that correct?

Kids are 6 and 8. Lots of money has been tossed at this and while it was a decent little investment at the front end I am almost more annoyed at the smaller, annual charges and ready to make them stop unless there is convincing evidence of the benefit. I have a year to decide at this point but figured I would ask why i am looking at the annual charge on my credit card....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.