89 F150 Starting problem

967 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Spoony Love
Spoony Love
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bluey (inline 6. 4 spd manual 4x4) needs a little encouragement to get started and he surges while idling.

What should I do if I am needing to floor the gas to start it? Fuel filter, throttle sensor, etc?

Also, he surges while idling and it will sometimes die (rarely). My thought was the map sensor?

Any body with this problem before and fixed it?
TexAg1987
Vacuum leak?
Fuel pressure issue?
IAC valve?
Throttle position sensor?

Spoony Love
AG
I really hope that's not the issue in the video.

I think the idling problem could be solved with a map sensor replace.

Starting it full throttle is where I'm stuck. This morning it felt like it was flooding the engine and wouldn't fire off. It's not a starter. That thing is running like a peach.

Maybe it's the injectors?
txyaloo
AG
Quote:

I really hope that's not the issue in the video.

I think the idling problem could be solved with a map sensor replace.

Starting it full throttle is where I'm stuck. This morning it felt like it was flooding the engine and wouldn't fire off. It's not a starter. That thing is running like a peach.

Maybe it's the injectors?
When you start that generation Ford full throttle, you engage clear flood mode which causes the injectors to not fire. It shouldn't ever start like that unless there's fuel in the cylinders already. That would mean you might have a few leaky injectors. You can do a fuel pressure drop test pretty easily. Testing individual injectors really isn't possible with them still in the truck

Do you hear the fuel pump prime for 1-3 seconds after you turn the key on? Does the pump keep running or does it turn off after 3 sec? Those ECUs are bad for having caps leak and ruin the boards.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Has it been sitting for a long time. Bad gas?
Spoony Love
AG
I do hear the pump engage when the key turns. I'll pay attention to see if it turns off or not.

Thanks for the ideas.
Spoony Love
AG
I've been running it 3 days a week for a few months now.

It has 99k on it and I haven't had to do anything major to it since driving it.
Spoony Love
AG
So this ended up being an injector issue, likely coupled with a fuel pressure regulator going out.

I was elbows deep in this truck last night. Upper intake manifold off, fuel rail out, all injectors replaced along with fuel pressure regulator. Changed the valve cover gasket while I was in since it was losing oil (put in 6qts and drained only 2 at last oil change). Put everything back together, with no leftover pieces.

Bluey started right up and coughed up all the stuff that came loose during the work. But gave him a few minutes, took him on the road for just a couple miles and he straightened out. I wasn't brave enough to drive him to work this morning but will get him out on the road this evening.

First time being this deep in an engine and I'm afraid I might be hooked on it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.