Considering older 4runner

1,834 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by zooguy96
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Considering an older 4Runner as a 2nd car. Currently have an '08 Taco Access cab 4wd with 200k miles on it and a 2016 Mustang DD.

I'm going to have some body work done on the Taco (trailer hit it while in a parking lot - just cosmetic damage) and then maybe sell it.

It has an issue where it randomly "jolts" (feels
like spark plug is missing) for no apparent reason (replaced plugs and boots, had the injectors cleaned, ran fuel treatment through it). Have had a code reader attached - throws no codes - happens either a couple of times in 1 drive or not at all for months. Mechanic can't figure it out either.

Should I sell it to:
A) Carmax
B) individual (I'd tell them about the issue).
C) keep it since it's paid off.

With proceeds from the truck sale, I'd either pay off the mustang and get a nicer 4Runner or pay cash for an older 4 runner.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
JB
AG
I'd post it for sale here.
zooguy96
JB said:

I'd post it for sale here.

I'm in TN, so probably will just post it locally.
txags92
AG
I would sell it private party and disclose the issue. When you replaced the plugs did you replace the plug wires? My guess is either a random intermittent short in one of those wires or something in the ignition module. But I would expect anything in the ignition module would be throwing a code.

Regarding the 4runners, you really can't go wrong with the older or newer ones. My wife had a 2000, a 2008, and now a 2022. All were great, but do beware that the late 90s/early 2000s did have an issue with oil gelling and causing them to throw rods if you went too long between oil changes. So if you go older, maybe go 2004 or newer. The 2022 we just bought has a lot of great tech upgrades from the previous models that made it worth it to us to buy new in November 2021. It just passed through 10k miles and we love it. I sold the 2008 to a user here on Texags, and as far as I know, his wife is still driving it.
zooguy96
txags92 said:

I would sell it private party and disclose the issue. When you replaced the plugs did you replace the plug wires? My guess is either a random intermittent short in one of those wires or something in the ignition module. But I would expect anything in the ignition module would be throwing a code.

Regarding the 4runners, you really can't go wrong with the older or newer ones. My wife had a 2000, a 2008, and now a 2022. All were great, but do beware that the late 90s/early 2000s did have an issue with oil gelling and causing them to throw rods if you went too long between oil changes. So if you go older, maybe go 2004 or newer. The 2022 we just bought has a lot of great tech upgrades from the previous models that made it worth it to us to buy new in November 2021. It just passed through 10k miles and we love it. I sold the 2008 to a user here on Texags, and as far as I know, his wife is still driving it.

I did replace the plug wires, which is why it is so odd.

I'll probably sell private party.

I was planning for around a '06-'10.
91AggieLawyer
AG
nm
SteveA
AG
4Runner's are pretty much the same since 2010, so find one with decent miles, a good price and 4wd and get it done.
Capt.Clay
AG
I have a white 2015 4x4. Just under 100k miles. Bought it new and planned on keeping it forever but my expanding family needs more room. Never wrecked, non smoker, all maintenance completed and kept very clean. I just started the car shopping process. I need to get high $20's for it, or I'm better off trading it in. Let me know if you're interested and I'll text you the details and pictures. Will make a great rig for someone for years to come.
zooguy96
Capt.Clay said:

I have a white 2015 4x4. Just under 100k miles. Bought it new and planned on keeping it forever but my expanding family needs more room. Never wrecked, non smoker, all maintenance completed and kept very clean. I just started the car shopping process. I need to get high $20's for it, or I'm better off trading it in. Let me know if you're interested and I'll text you the details and pictures. Will make a great rig for someone for years to come.

Nah, I'm good. I'll be looking more around $15.
jwhitlock3
txags92 said:

My wife is still driving it and we still absolutely love it! We've put over 10k miles on it and we're closing in on 200k total. I spent $1300 replacing rear main seal and oil pan gasket which I consider a maintenance item, otherwise it's had zero issues. We bought it in December when gas prices were low, and with Diesel prices going through the roof (my truck is a 6.7 Ford) we've been taking the Toyota everywhere.

This one was a one owner and obviously you maintained it incredibly well which I'm thankful for! I'd buy another one in this condition in a heartbeat and have zero regrets. I've got a friend who did the same with a 2006 4Runner and he loves his as well.
Chef Elko
AG
Let me know if/when you post it for sale. I know you're in TN but I like dealing with trustworthy Ags and you've been upfront about the issues. I'm in a first gen Tacoma with more miles and would like to upgrade to a 4wd model. Thanks!

txags92
AG
Glad to hear it is still running well for you!
zooguy96
Danwell Home said:

Let me know if/when you post it for sale. I know you're in TN but I like dealing with trustworthy Ags and you've been upfront about the issues. I'm in a first gen Tacoma with more miles and would like to upgrade to a 4wd model. Thanks! Email below

Ok, will do.
zooguy96
Danwell Home said:

Let me know if/when you post it for sale. I know you're in TN but I like dealing with trustworthy Ags and you've been upfront about the issues. I'm in a first gen Tacoma with more miles and would like to upgrade to a 4wd model. Thanks!

I deleted your email from my repost (and for some reason my phone didn't save it), but if I do end up selling it, I will post it here too.
Chef Elko
AG
zooguy96 said:

Danwell Home said:

I deleted your email from my repost (and for some reason my phone didn't save it), but if I do end up selling it, I will post it here too.
No biggie, it's here below. Just didn't want it out there forever for data skimmers.

zooguy96
Danwell Home said:

zooguy96 said:

Danwell Home said:

No biggie, it's here below. Just didn't want it out there forever for data skimmers.

Emailed you.
zooguy96
I'll be posting this up for sale in about a month. I'm getting some damage repaired on the right rear fender and right door where it was hit by a trailer in a parking lot. I also got hit by a rock on the highway (windshield replaced, hood and top of truck repaired) as far as damage it's had while I've had it.

Here are the basics:

2008 Toyota Access cab.
200K miles.
4WD, auto, v-6
17" 4runner rims with Michelin LTX/MS with about 40K miles on them (give or take; tires are in good condition).
Towing package
Flowmaster exhaust (it actually sounds decent).

Full synthetic Mobil 1 - 20,000 mile oil and K&N high performance filter religiously every 5K miles.
I've changed out the plugs and boots and had the injectors cleaned in the last 20k miles.

All 4 bearings have been replaced, and the rear differential has also been replaced with a used one that had about 10 k miles on it.

As mentioned, it has an intermittent "misfire" issue that I or my mechanic cannot track down. It is completely random. Sometimes it will happen 3-4 times a drive, or not for weeks. I've had a computer hooked up during driving, and it doesn't throw a code, so no clue what the issue is.

I'm going to do some research as to how much to ask for it. Kbb or Nada the best? Look at what others have similar trucks listed at?

Basically, I just want to get enough to get an similar year 4runner that is in comparable condition. I know the used truck market is a little cray cray right now, but I'm also reasonable.

But, I also wanted to be completely transparent with respect to the issues the truck has and repairs I've done on it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.