2000-2006 Tundras

1,923 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by texags08
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
looking for a truck for a new driver. Had been looking at domestic, but thinking of early 2000s Tundras.

any thoughts from the board on the longevity, systemic issues, or concerns? wants a manual, but hard to find!

comparison to 90s ford or Chevy?
maroon barchetta
Bought my dad's early 2000's Tundra from him at 189k miles. It is over 263k now. He used Mobil 1 from the first oil change and I have continued that plan.

Engine is solid. I need a new radio/cd/whatever.

Needs a new visor on one side.

Need a seat cover or reupholster on one seat.

Other than that, it's great. It's not flashy. Doesn't have all the creature comforts a bunch of the snowflakes on this board just have to have in a truck.

Doesn't get great mileage but it just keeps going.
ccolley68
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Bought my dad's early 2000's Tundra from him at 189k miles. It is over 263k now. He used Mobil 1 from the first oil change and I have continued that plan.

Other than that, it's great. It's not flashy. Doesn't have all the creature comforts a bunch of the snowflakes on this board just have to have in a truck.

I tend to agree with this sentiment, but my current truck has A/C seats, and let me just say I will never own another vehicle without them. Game changer.
The Dog Lord
AG
Loved my 05. Thought it had a nice balance of interior space vs. bed space. It started having some issues after 150k. Traded it in for something new at that point since it had been 12 years anyway. The only thing I truly needed but didn't have on it was a reverse sensor or camera. Now that I have things like remote start, heated steaming wheel, etc. though, I can't imagine not having them. A/C seats are the only thing I wish I had now.
Aggietaco
AG
I think the dubis still have that gen Tundra, maybe they'll chime in.
Coin
I had an '05 I bought with 120K miles and drove it until 275k miles. It was a rock and that engine will run forever if maintained. Seriously, there are many examples of 500k+ miles. That would be a great 1st truck that is easy to work on, should your young driver be interested in learning to wrench.

I only sold it to buy a 100 series landcruiser.
AgGrad99
AG
ccolley68 said:

maroon barchetta said:

I tend to agree with this sentiment, but my current truck has A/C seats, and let me just say I will never own another vehicle without them. Game changer.
Amen! It is the greatest addition to vehicles (in Texas) since automatic transmission.

I know it's ridiculous creature comfort, but I'd give up a lot of stuff on my truck, before the ventilated seats. And if you asked me if I wanted heated or AC seats...being in Texas, Im choosing AC every day and twice on Sunday.
aggiepaintrain
AG
cavscout96 said:

comparison to 90s ford or Chevy?

Zero comparison, the Tundra will be 10x more reliable.
I would look for an 07/08 they are even better and about the same price, first generations are expensive with decent miles.
Green2Maroon
AG
They are very solid trucks. The '05-15 Tacoma is very similar and very desirable too.
maroon barchetta
Son's buddy has an '05 Tacoma in fantastic condition. Only has 140k miles on it IIRC. I would buy it in a second if he would sell it. But that isn't going to happen.

Oh, and it's got a standard transmission.
Coin
The Tundra's are way bigger on the interior than a Tacoma. Plus, V8
maroon barchetta

shiftyandquick
My 2003 Tundra with 65k miles is still rolling strong. When I roll it.
maroon barchetta
shiftyandquick said:

Rule 1 brochacho!!
maroon barchetta
Also, username doesn't check out.
shiftyandquick
maroon barchetta said:

shiftyandquick said:

Rule 1 brochacho!!
The paint job on my Tundra is terrible. it's been outside it's entire career. It looks like crap. Needs new paint job, but I can't really justify the cost.
maroon barchetta
Wrap it!
Mr. Dubi
Ours has about 80,000 miles on it. We just use it for hardware store and gun range. It has been totally reliable, the only issues were a wiring harness that got chewed by a rodent and a p code (I think it was 1441] that was intermittent in the cold, but has gone away.

It is white, and suffers from the chalky, dull paint. The only time it failed us was a battery. A couple interior lights in the overhead console have burned out too.

We have replaced the tires a couple times due to age, but it still rides and drives well. These are goos trucks.
texags08
AG
ccolley68 said:

maroon barchetta said:

Exactly. Sound like it was written by some who has never enjoyed the finer things.
maroon barchetta
texags08 said:

ccolley68 said:

maroon barchetta said:

Exactly. Sound like it was written by some who has never enjoyed the finer things.

This might surprise you, but we own other vehicles besides my truck and I have ridden in other vehicles besides those!!!

ZOMG!!! I'm so worldly!
texags08
AG
maroon barchetta said:

texags08 said:

ccolley68 said:

maroon barchetta said:

This might surprise you, but we own other vehicles besides my truck and I have ridden in other vehicles besides those!!!

ZOMG!!! I'm so worldly!

Sound very insecure. Sorry guy.
maroon barchetta
Apology accepted.
texags08
AG
Acceptance accepted.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.