Used 18 or 19 Mercedes GLS Questions

1,195 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Orlando Ayala Cant Read
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A few questions here..

1: Anyone see the prices of this type car dropping more?
I'm eyeing the GLS 63 from either 18 or 19 (don't think I can afford newer)

2: Assuming its got around 50k miles (I wouldn't buy one w too many more miles) can I expect any major work between 50k and say 100k ? I usually don't hold cars longer than that.

3: Anyone owned one? Any feedback or comments?
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

A few questions here..

1: Anyone see the prices of this type car dropping more?
I'm eyeing the GLS 63 from either 18 or 19 (don't think I can afford newer)

Previous Gen GLS has dropped as most as anything at this point. Talking 20%+ could drop more but at some point it levels and likely has slowed

2: Assuming its got around 50k miles (I wouldn't buy one w too many more miles) can I expect any major work between 50k and say 100k ? I usually don't hold cars longer than that.

Brakes are 3-4k if you do the full set OEM. Be prepared for suspension work at any point $1-4k. 50-100k it's possible to see cylinder head issues as well. That one isn't a guarantee l, but it's something I see pop up from time to time on the V8s.

3: Anyone owned one? Any feedback or comments?

You really just have to know what you're getting into with the car. You'll never not smile driving it....But it's a heavy over engineered race car masquerading as a luxury family hauler. Buy it CPO and get an extension of the warranty (1-2yr extension) the additional cost will pay for itself. It's not really any worse than anything else German, it's just on the side of the spectrum everything costs more when you need something done on it whether it's normal
Maintenance or not

aggiejumper
AG
Previous poster is pretty much dead on. Tires are $500 each too and you'll blow through them if you drive with any moderate aggression. It's a luxury race SUV kind of like a Raptor R is a luxury race truck; you are paying to play and it's not cheap.

Buy CPO only and get the longest warranty they'll sell, I think it's 5 years from original sell so you could be coming upon that quickly. After 5 years the value of these will drop like a rock due to lack of OEM warranty. Warranty doesn't cover consumables so figure brakes every 15k miles. If you have any mechanical inclination you can do service A/B or take it to a independent shop for much better pricing.

Also, there's still a 6 month plus wait for these the 450's, the 550's and 63's are a little longer. The market will not soften for a while per my salesman simple due to lack of supply.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Thanks guys. I think you've talked me out of it. Had a Range before and these responses just reminded me how expensive upkeep was. Got another couple options I'm kicking around for a 7 seater.
cmiller00
AG
My wife had a 2019 and now a 2021. Great vehicle but yeah maintenance is expensive. Brakes need replacing pretty often.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
cmiller00 said:

My wife had a 2019 and now a 2021. Great vehicle but yeah maintenance is expensive. Brakes need replacing pretty often.

450, 550, or Amg?
cmiller00
AG
AMG

Also has tons of tech that I don't know since I don't drive it every day.
drumboy
AG
Are the brakes harder to change than most cars?
aggiejumper
AG
No. Just need right tools for the inverted torx bolts.
You have to change a sensor if you get pads too thin but is easy too.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
cmiller00 said:

AMG

Also has tons of tech that I don't know since I don't drive it every day.

Man those are gorgeous. No wonder you got the varsity sub!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.