Wix filter factory defect

2,121 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by maroon barchetta
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Two Chevy pickups, bought two filters to change oil on both.

CanyonAg77
AG
Filled one with oil, and could not get it to screw on.

CanyonAg77
AG
Hmmm, the other fits just fine

Aston 91
AG
Well that sucks. Factory errors are generally desirable in baseball cards, but not so much anything else.

Maybe the problem is you were measuring in metric. Switch to standard and see if they match up [/sarcasm].
CanyonAg77
AG
I will admit than in 50+ years of working on engines, this is a first
CanyonAg77
AG
One was 11/16 and the other 3.4, but the numbers were hard to see, so I hoped folks could understand metric
BrazosDog02
AG
Looks like the got a base for one stuck in the hopper for another prior to pressing together. You hit the lotto.
txyaloo
AG
Is one a China Wix and the other a US one?
Silvy
AG
I'd put money on the larger one fitting a Gen IV LS. The within spec fits a Gen III.

51042 vs 51040

ETA imma not be money on that
CanyonAg77
AG
txyaloo said:

Is one a China Wix and the other a US one?

Don't know, already sent filter and box back. They were on the same shelf, one assumes same lot
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Did you check if the stamps on the top plate/threaded plate had the same numbers? I believe those specify diameter/threads? But i agree that they stuck the wrong cap on one filter and you were the lucky one to get it. I wonder if wix is going downhill. A couple years ago i did an oil change and everything felt fine except the way it seated. Started her up and oil poured from around the seal. Not cross threaded, the threads just weren't perpendicular to the face. Only time that has ever happened to me. I still trust wix better than the alternatives
CanyonAg77
AG
I happened to glance at the good one and it was stamped 13/16, but I forgot to check the bad one. It may not have had a stamp. And I already traded it back in.

I was lucky to have needed to change the oil on two pickups, and had picked up two filters. Wife was enjoying her day off, and would have been grumpy about getting a filter and driving it 10 miles out to the barn
fixer
wild. Thanks for sharing.

This will trigger ocd and keep me up at now. thanks.
EskimoJoe
we have had the same issue with some of our CaseIH filters. A certain part number (dont remember which one) has the wrong size thread and would not screw on.

Covid quality strikes again.
Sea Speed
AG
Ooooh look at me, I've got digital calipers
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
A $12 set of centech digital calipers from harbor freight will ruin you. Go buy 3 or 4 asap
File5
AG
Filled one up with oil? I've never heard of this with a new filter...is that a best practice to minimize air in the filter? One of those things you wonder if you've doing it wrong a loooong time....
Sea Speed
AG
You have really never heard of filling it with oil before installing?
File5
AG
Never once! All I do is put some new oil on the gasket and screw it on, which is how my dad taught me. If this is a real thing then I blame the boomers!

ETA I decided to look it up on the web and it seems to be one of those things that some people do or don't with not much backup data either way.

Reminds me of a time when I was out in West Texas and a company man told me he never washed the glass coffee pot carafe with soap because it would lose its "seasoning". He was mad I even considered it!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
It's always a good idea to prefill any oil filter that allows it (i.e. not one that screw in horizontally, of course) Many models of oem filters incorporate a check valve to prevent that lag in oil pressure due to oil having drained back out of the filter so i figure the concern must be valid. Now whether it matters once every 5k vs every startup i don't know, but it's not much extra effort.
Also not washing a glass coffee pot, on the other hand...lol! An old aluminum percolator i can understand
CanyonAg77
AG
As others have said, it's just to shorten the time it takes to get oil pumping into the engine the first start up after the oil change.

Maybe it takes 1 second to pump an empty filter full and get up pressure. Maybe a full filter takes .1 second to get pressure. So every oil change I eliminate maybe 0.9 seconds of engine running with no oil in the top end.

Does that make a difference? I really don't know. But it makes me feel better. And I routinely run vehicles to 200,000 miles and more.
maroon barchetta
Pushing 265,000 on my truck now and it has never had the filter filled before installation.
CanyonAg77
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Pushing 265,000 on my truck now and it has never had the filter filled before installation.

Heresy!

Seriously, it's probably no big deal, especially on these filters that hold maybe a pint of oil. The old ones held a full quart. My tractor filter is more like two quarts. Possibly makes a difference on those.

Or maybe not
MouthBQ98
AG
Might have been a fluke, the transition of a production run change at the factory between two similar types and one part on the line didn't get removed before they fired it back up for the new run.
milkman00
AG
So is Wix still the OB filter of choice, or has something else surpassed it?

How are the Mobil 1 filters?

Need something that will last for 10000 miles with synthetic oil.
maroon barchetta
I use Mobil 1 filters and have for a long time and been happy with them.

There was a video where a guy deconstructed a bunch of filters to show how much media was in each. I don't recall where Mobil 1 fell on that comparison but I think it was pretty good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.