Clutch judder only in 1st when cold

657 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TikkaShooter
ZosoAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a clutch judder on my 84' CJ7 but only from a standstill in 1st when the vehicle is cold. Yet if I take off from a standstill in 2nd gear while it's cold its nice and smooth. Thoughts? My initial instinct was flywheel/clutch assembly issues but the fact that there isn't any issue when starting from second gear gives me pause, could it be a transmission issue?
GrapevineAg
AG
Take a look at the easy things like transmission mounts, transmission fluid, engine mounts, clutch hydraulics and fluid levels, and u-joints. It's odd that it only happens in 1st gear when cold, but that could have to do with the amount of torque involved. If all of the above checks out, it could be the flywheel or clutch assembly.
WSCTR
magnumtmp
AG
Oh man, not good news AT ALL! It's a matter of time before the whole thing falls apart.

Sell it to me before it's too lateā€¦.

BrazosDog02
AG
My 1957 Ferguson tractor does that. The only thing I've found to fix it is just dump the clutch. She'll do a wheelie but it sounds better.
TikkaShooter
I get this on my 86 Bronco in N. I've chosen to ignore it. Ha

But yeah, please route back if you find a solution. Its too far down my list to worry about right now, buy someday.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.