2015 Duramax auto start issues

1,477 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cevans_40
cevans_40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So when it gets cool (under 45) my auto start does not work. The truck barely turns over a couple of times (about 1 second apart) and then nothing.

Has to be the battery, right? So why does it start just fine with the key. And why has it does this the past 2 winters without changing the battery?
clarythedrill
When you say auto start, are you meaning remote start? Seems like the remote start is not talking to the glow plugs maybe?
cevans_40
AG
clarythedrill said:

When you say auto start, are you meaning remote start? Seems like the remote start is not talking to the glow plugs maybe?

Yes, I am talking about the remote start. Glow plugs shouldn't even matter at 45 degrees and supposedly the remote start cycles the glow plugs just like normal. But if you are correct, how would I go about checking that?
clarythedrill
cevans_40 said:

clarythedrill said:

Yes, I am talking about the remote start. Glow plugs shouldn't even matter at 45 degrees and supposedly the remote start cycles the glow plugs just like normal. But if you are correct, how would I go about checking that?
The glow plugs will come on at 45 degrees if the computer deems it necessary. I will say that when I had my 6.6 and remotely started it, it would attempt to start as soon as I hit the button, and that was up in Chicago in the winter. It was like the remote function would make it turn over immediately. When I would get in and hit the push to start button, it would take several seconds for the glow plug light to go out and then the engine would start.

I have absolutely no idea how to check the system.
cevans_40
AG
clarythedrill said:

cevans_40 said:

clarythedrill said:

The glow plugs will come on at 45 degrees if the computer deems it necessary. I will say that when I had my 6.6 and remotely started it, it would attempt to start as soon as I hit the button, and that was up in Chicago in the winter. It was like the remote function would make it turn over immediately. When I would get in and hit the push to start button, it would take several seconds for the glow plug light to go out and then the engine would start.

I have absolutely no idea how to check the system.

The longest the light says on via the key is 1 second max. Remote start waits while I hold the start button for like 3-4 seconds. I have no way of knowing if the glow plugs are coming on via remote start but everything I have read has said they should cycle normally. Meaning, of they work via the kia they should work via remote. I am at loss. Next step will be testing the batteries but I just don't see how I could have a bad battery for over a year and never notice any ill effects.
EskimoJoe
The ecu reads the ohms resistance on the 8 glow plug circuits. A bad glow plug will have a ohm reading out of range, and throw a check engine light. Ive changed all 8 of mine and and probably 1 or 2 again.

The aftermarket remote start system I installed has a 20 second delay to allow the glow plugs to cycle. A duramax should start in the teens without glowplugs. Not ideal, but Ive done it. (manually turning the key without waiting on glow plugs) Ive remote started mine in -20 weather.

Do you have a check engine light on? Sometimes a remote stater won't function with codes stored.

cevans_40
AG
EskimoJoe said:

The ecu reads the ohms resistance on the 8 glow plug circuits. A bad glow plug will have a ohm reading out of range, and throw a check engine light. Ive changed all 8 of mine and and probably 1 or 2 again.

The aftermarket remote start system I installed has a 20 second delay to allow the glow plugs to cycle. A duramax should start in the teens without glowplugs. Not ideal, but Ive done it. (manually turning the key without waiting on glow plugs) Ive remote started mine in -20 weather.

Do you have a check engine light on? Sometimes a remote stater won't function with codes stored.

No check engine light and this is the factory remote start.
cevans_40
AG
So I had the remote start issue happen again the other morning and this time when I went to start with the key, it was a very weak start. So I changed both batteries and now I have no radio or display and the seat belt chime is noticeably louder. I have check fuses and disconnected the batteries but still the same. Any ideas on this?
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

Remote start waits while I hold the start button for like 3-4 seconds. I have no way of knowing if the glow plugs are coming on via remote start but everything I have read has said they should cycle normally.
Sit in the truck and remote start. See if the glow plug light comes on and drops out.
cevans_40
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Remote start waits while I hold the start button for like 3-4 seconds. I have no way of knowing if the glow plugs are coming on via remote start but everything I have read has said they should cycle normally.
Sit in the truck and remote start. See if the glow plug light comes on and drops out.
Good idea
cevans_40
AG
cevans_40 said:

So I had the remote start issue happen again the other morning and this time when I went to start with the key, it was a very weak start. So I changed both batteries and now I have no radio or display and the seat belt chime is noticeably louder. I have check fuses and disconnected the batteries but still the same. Any ideas on this?

Dealer says that the head unit is dead because of the CD player. How does this make any sense?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.