Looking for Input on Wrangler 4xe

7,137 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jh0400
steve00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The front axle is engaged, but all power goes to the rear until it senses loss of traction, then it switches into 4wd automatically, until traction is recovered.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
javajaws
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

I switched back to my 1999 Ford Expedition for road trips to Vegas, Texas, etc.

The Wrangler is great around town and obviously off road but, driving more than 50 miles in one sitting is just a beating.
Its not nearly that bad. I've driven mine to Montana, Utah, and Arkansas and was relatively comfortable. Noise is an issue but that's why I put a good stereo in. My Wrangler seats are actually more comfortable after an hour than my wife's Audi. I do have an aftermarket suspension though with top grade springs and shocks.

Driving in a cross wind however IS a PITA.
jh0400
AG
steve00 said:

The GC Trailhawk is a very nice Jeep.

This is an understatement. I feel like I looked at every 4wd SUV out there, and I'd put it up against any of them. It's the only one that I looked at that I had no complaints about.
aggieforester05
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
I don't know how well it works on the Jeep, but in my Silverado, the auto mode is indistinguishable from AWD. You can definitely feel the drag of the front drive system, but other than that, it engages so seamlessly that it never feels like your rear wheels are even losing traction.
SquanchyAg
HollywoodBQ said:

I switched back to my 1999 Ford Expedition for road trips to Vegas, Texas, etc.

The Wrangler is great around town and obviously off road but, driving more than 50 miles in one sitting is just a beating.
completely disagree. I drove my 2015 Wrangler all over for long trips and to Big Bend and back multiple times. Seats were comfortable and they felt fine after hours in the vehicle. road noise is high, but comfort was never an issue. of course I also had a 6.2L swap in mine so it was super fun to drive...
12law
AG
steve00 said:

jh0400 said:

jh0400 said:

Following since a Grand Cherokee 4xe Trailhawk will most likely be my next vehicle.

In a stunning turn of events, I got the green light to find one and pull the trigger as soon as possible in order to get the tax credit.

Nice. After a long road trip earlier this year in a rental Audi SUV, I was reminded of how quiet and smooth regular SUVs are compared to Wranglers. I spent a month seriously thinking about trading in for a Grand Cherokee 4xe Trailhawk. It is no Audi, but still way more comfortable than a Wrangler, and still very capable off-road.

I ultimately decided to stick with my Wrangler, but I got pretty close to pulling the trigger. The GC Trailhawk is a very nice Jeep.

You should get the summit. It basically has everything except the sway bar disconnect and tow hooks. It's nicer and has the same 4wd. I bought a 4xe Summit about a month ago.
Street Fighter
AG
555-PINF said:

there have been issues with corrosion around the hinges due to contact between dissimilar metals. From the quick peek I just did, there is speculation that this *may* be fixed for 2023, but it has been an issue going back to 2019 (to the point of a recent class action lawsuit). I never saw it on my 2020 JL, but only had it 9 months.

That has been an issue since 2007.
steve00
AG
So today I had the death wobble twice in 5 minutes on the highway during a road trip. It wasn't the normal one where it lasts half a second and just gets your adrenaline going and is over. These two each lasted the entire time it took me to slow down safely from 70 to 30mph.

I ended up leaving it at the nearest dealership and renting a car to continue my trip. I'm thinking this is a good sign that I need to go back to my thought from last year about swapping out to a Grand Cherokee for more comfort. Now it is for more safety too.

I still really like the 4xe platform, and prefer the Trailhawk styling to the other trims. What are the other factors I should consider with the Grand Cherokee?
jh0400
AG
I'm three months and ~3,000 miles into my GC 4xe Trailhawk and have no complaints at all. The only thing I would do differently would be to order one with a sunroof. There were none in stock when I decided to buy mine, and I didn't have time to wait since I wouldn't qualify for the tax credit this year.
Wreighven
AG
What kind of real world electric range do you get on your GC Trailhawk 4xe? Seems like a compelling vehicle…
jh0400
AG
I can get 20+ miles with half of my commute at highway speeds. Closer to 25-26 if I keep it on surface streets. I charge every night at home and get home with battery to spare. I can go around two months on a tank of gas and could go longer if it didn't go into Fuel & Oil Refresh Mode.
steve00
AG
I am seeing the same issue. Zero Trailhawks with a sunroof within 250 miles. It would be a "nice to have" so I'm not sure if it's worth waiting for a special order.

Are the Grand Cherokee 4xe being handled like Wranglers, where you can get a much better deal ordering vs buying off the lot?
jh0400
AG
I got around $5,000 off when I bought in December.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.