Dealership or private party for a used truck?

1,287 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TXAG 05
dbwh21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking to purchase a truck around February, and don't know what is the best way to go about it. I have been surfing facebook market just trying to get a feel for prices put it seems like fb market is flooded with used car dealerships. Paying cash, budget is 15k, want something less than 150k miles. What is my best route here?
barney94
AG
Best route is to buy it off TexAgs. Be patient and reasonable, and chances are something will show up here. I've bought 3 vehicles off here and always been happy with the deal and the vehicle.
JSKolache
AG
Buying dealer with a trade-in would help offset some of the sales tax. May or may not pencil out to a true value savings depending on what you are looking at, just something to raise for visibility.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
I have bought several used cars through "reputable" dealerships and haven't had any issues. Dealerships at least inspect and something that's total crap gets sent to auction. The vehicles you are seeing on FB sold though a non major dealer are likely auction vehicles.
Yesterday
AG
Most dealerships won't sell high mileage cars unless they're diesel. Almost every car that is above 100k miles will go to auction if it's a trade in at a big dealership.

It's honestly a crap shoot. I'd find the one you want at the price you want and get a pre inspection. Check out the carfax etc. there's not a lot of trucks out there sub 15k.
lb sand
AG
higher mileage than what OP wanted, but price is in line.
https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3343852

TXAG 05
AG
Yesterday said:

Most dealerships won't sell high mileage cars unless they're diesel. Almost every car that is above 100k miles will go to auction if it's a trade in at a big dealership.

It's honestly a crap shoot. I'd find the one you want at the price you want and get a pre inspection. Check out the carfax etc. there's not a lot of trucks out there sub 15k.

That may have been the way it used to be, but no more. I've been looking for a new used truck for a while, and while prices are getting better, there are tons of trucks out there with 100k miles for ridiculous prices.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.