Best overall car to buy now...

5,961 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HECUBUS
The Wonderer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dubi said:

nortex97 said:

I've just never seen a 5 or 10 year old Kia/Hyundai that looked good.
I sold a 5 year old Hyundai Santa Fe and it looked as good as the day i purchased it.

Because it had like 6000 miles on it.
Flaith
AG
Acura RDX?
rsf0626
bam02 said:

Six cylinder mustang
This is a joke right? they havent made a v6 mustang in like 5-6 years
rsf0626
dubi
AG
The Wonderer said:

dubi said:

nortex97 said:

I sold a 5 year old Hyundai Santa Fe and it looked as good as the day i purchased it.

Because it had like 6000 miles on it.
I think it was 30k miles.
G Martin 87
AG
YouBet said:

tk for tu juan said:

Quote:

Price around 35K-40K
stylish
fun to drive
safe
easily maintained
Miata RF
Always the answer; no one ever acts on it.

Most appreciated / under appreciated car ever.

But, I have to admit that I've been really enjoying my 2021 WRX.

Lavender Gooms
AG
I think the Sorento turbo is new this year.

We have a 2011 Sorento AWD (4-cylinder). Bought it in 2016 with 60k miles on it. Just went over 160k miles the last month or so. Has been an extremely reliable car.

Maintenance - minimal. Oil changes every 7500 miles or so. Admittedly I'm not the most meticulous about these changes and have probably had 1 or 2 where we went 10k miles. Air filter and cabin air filter with every or every other oil change. Basic stuff with our local mechanic (brakes, struts/shocks, etc)

Driving experience - gets us from point A to point B. 4-cylinder is definitely a bit underpowered, especially when we're loaded down for camping trips. Don't know about the 6-cylinder or the turbo.

Longevity - we've put 100k on it with essentially no major issues. Only thing that comes to mind that was unexpected was a starter failure around 140k miles I think.

Paint still in really good shape - a few knicks on the front of the hood. Top of the car starting to show some wear on the paint. Up until about a month ago, it's never been garage kept, and we live in the west with lots of intense sun.

We don't take it too extreme with going off the pavement, but it gets its fair share of rocky and dirt roads. AWD and dedicated snow tires allow for plenty of fun winter driving in the mountains and when we lived in Pittsburgh.

LMCane
nortex97 said:

I've posted this elsewhere but the next/new Mazda's next year will have longitudinal I-6 (2 and 3 row), with a RWD chassis (in AWD). CX-70 and -90 I think. The ones in Europe are a little narrower, and reviews are out on those. I'd be hesitant on the current ones as the next ones will be a lot better, imho, but you have to wait 6+ months so not really by the OP's criteria…
well 6 months could work..

sell the BMW back to the dealer in April, then buy a new Mazda when I return in September.

good advice- which one of the Mazdas would you go for?

I would like a more powerful engine than the base models.
LMCane
first off thanks for the excellent advice here

good news- the BMW dealer is offering $5K more than I still owe if I sell it to them. Will check with Carvana and Carmax next week.

on the other hand, the bad news is to RENT a car around here is at least $1000 a month! insanity. so that's 400 more than my current car payment each month for four months.

I really like the Kia Sorrento, Mazdas and the Lexus smaller SUVs.

jwright4288
AG
2017 - 2019 Buick lacrosse.
Teslag
AG
Tesla Model 3 RWD checks all your boxes
nortex97
AG
LMCane said:

nortex97 said:

I've posted this elsewhere but the next/new Mazda's next year will have longitudinal I-6 (2 and 3 row), with a RWD chassis (in AWD). CX-70 and -90 I think. The ones in Europe are a little narrower, and reviews are out on those. I'd be hesitant on the current ones as the next ones will be a lot better, imho, but you have to wait 6+ months so not really by the OP's criteria…

sell the BMW back to the dealer in April, then buy a new Mazda when I return in September.

I'm going to just wait and see what happens. For me, I just want the 2 row version, basically like this. They will offer a hybrid version too (with either a 4 or a 6 cylinder) but I just want the I-6.

My goal is to own/drive cars a long time (in years, compared to the average). Our Audi is a 2013 (with under 80K miles) with a supercharged V6 and all wheel drive that...unfortunately I don't see being replaced by something with more fun driving dynamics, but I at least want similar acceleration.
Teslag
AG
I know something that could satisfy for your need for acceleration
C ROC N
Toyota rav4 Prime XSE ,fast, small suv, tax break if they're still under the threshold. 2023 edition with the new updated nav/entertainment system.
LMCane
I have been seeing these Lexus small SUVs that look pretty sharp.

are there any performance improvements from a Lexus versus a Kia or Mazda?
LMCane
nortex97 said:

LMCane said:

nortex97 said:

I'm going to just wait and see what happens. For me, I just want the 2 row version, basically like this. They will offer a hybrid version too (with either a 4 or a 6 cylinder) but I just want the I-6.

My goal is to own/drive cars a long time (in years, compared to the average). Our Audi is a 2013 (with under 80K miles) with a supercharged V6 and all wheel drive that...unfortunately I don't see being replaced by something with more fun driving dynamics, but I at least want similar acceleration.
that's alot like the Mazda I had overseas for a year

I just don't like the wheel rims on the link you posted. I am finicky about liking to cover the entire inner wheel

this is my current car (this particular is 2021 and mine is 2020) dealer just offered $26K to sell it to them

Grown Pear
AG
Subaru Outback Wilderness? More rugged looking with turbocharged engine.

nortex97
AG
Merc and BMW I am scared of as an owner (had a mercedes that was a repair shop queen 15 years ago). If I were buying a sedan I really have no idea but I am partial to the IS350 if for no other reason than it is probably the last one available with a CD player (haven't checked out the italians, though, as I prefer not to wonder about what dash light will come on today, every day).

Grown Pear, Subaru's have intrigued me for a while but I will also never own a CVT and I have heard/read that to replace one of theirs is in the $5K range. I've always also kind of wanted a boxer engine.
crowman2010
AG
nortex97 said:

I have a 2013 Sonata in phenomenal condition. Looks almost brand new.
crowman2010
AG
Teslag said:

Tesla Model 3 RWD checks all your boxes
username checks out
HECUBUS
AG
We just shopped for a small suv for the second kid's first car. Toyota RAV4 finished first, Mazda CX-5 second, and Honda CRV third. We ended up getting the CX-5 because the Toyota dealer came up with over $6k of fluff charges over advertised MSRP. Mazda was advertised MSRP + destination. Plus for Mazda is powered, heated leatherette seats and bigger engine. Minus was back seat leg room and storage. That was not an issue for us. First kid got a Honda CRV we were initially leaning Honda.

The top three models (with equal safety features) we considered:
2023 Mazda CX-5 2.5 S Select - best features, engine, and price
2023 Toyota Rav4 XLE - best overall if price was as advertised
2023 Honda CRV XE - best backseat room and ride
drumboy
AG
Grown Pear said:

Subaru Outback Wilderness? More rugged looking with turbocharged engine.

LandCruiser on a Camry budget. I'd rock it all day.
HECUBUS
AG
Outback is very nice. They finished 4th for us due to price.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.