Subaru outback

3,114 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MikesFamousJava
jaggiemaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In-laws are looking at the 22-23 Subaru Outback. I know people say the engine is underpowered but they are going from a Honda Accord and could care less. Anyone bought one recently ? Is the CVt still problematic ?
Flaith
AG
Was their CVT problematic? I've only ever heard of Nissan CVT issues in the early generations.

Subarus are much more likely to blow head gaskets or spin rod bearings.

Everyone I know who has an Outback has had no issues and likes them.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Cvts were a problem. Not sure what the latest is.
Flaith
AG
Looks like they had enough issues from 2010-2018 that they extended warranties on the CVT to 10yr/100k miles. I think the newer models have the standard 5yr/60k mile warranty, so that should correlate to better reliability... I think?
RVAg02
AG
Wife has one. Hers is the V6 from 2016. She loves it. I try to find things I don't like, but have trouble doing so.
drumboy
AG
Get the XT with the turbo. Better yet, just get the Wilderness

bam02
AG
I would drive one.
TSW2012
AG
We have had 2, a 2020 and a 2022. No issues with either. The 2020 had some bad software for the infotainment but the software update fixed that. The Subaru eyesight is very good driver assistance compared to many other manufacturers.

Especially at sea level the 4cyl has enough power but won't win any races.
BQ2001
AG
We have a 2018 4cy, it's not fast but gets the job done in CO in snow and mountains just fine. Pretty good gas milage and can fit all our luggage on road trips.
Mookie
AG
I think I'm getting a wilderness when my bronco lease is up in June.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Suburus are good vehicles for 100-120K miles. After that, they're hit and miss in general. I don't think they're up to the quality of the other good Japanese brands long term. With that said, they have the best designed AWD on the market and do drive well.

If you will get rid of the vehicle within 5-7 years, I'd say its a good choice. If you want to keep it for 8+ years, I'd look elsewhere. I personally wouldn't buy one.
drumboy
AG
Not disagreeing. I had an 04wrx wagon that started using oil around 125k miles and sold it around 175k miles.

Still want an sti wagon.
MikesFamousJava
AG
Consumer Reports thinks very highly of them wrt quality and reliability…I'm pretty sure they were tops or 2nd in the CR ratings last time I checked, and above Honda. My wife drives one…a 2020 with the turbo. Things I like: seating position of a SUV/crossover but easy to load stuff on roof due to lower roof height and trick rails; plenty of power; great AWD system (probably the best in industry); ground clearance; fuel economy; value. Things I don't like: CVT (it's not terrible though, and helps with fuel economy); infotainment screen/system (I'd prefer more physical buttons for climate controls and it is sometimes glitchy); rear view mirror is too low (due to low roofline) and feels obtrusive to my forward field of view (this is minor and doesn't bother my wife, but I like my seat higher…the 2023 Touring is supposed to have a camera based mirror and I'd guess it will be set higher which would fix that issue). Overall we've been very happy with it.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Lesbians like things that are sturdy and durable
Lesbians like Subaru Outbacks

Just sayin' ...
Macarthur
RVAg02 said:

Wife has one. Hers is the V6 from 2016. She loves it. I try to find things I don't like, but have trouble doing so.

My in laws have the V6 2015. It's a damn nice vehicle.

LOL. They don't drive much...I think they've only put 30k miles on it.
Flaith
AG

It's not a V6.... it's a Flat 6
beatlesphan
AG
Not an outback but I have a 2011 Forester with the turbo and now with 150k miles. It's not the sexiest/coolest car but it has given me zero problems and has handled everything I've thrown at it. In-laws have 2 outbacks (2011, 2015) and they share this experience.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggieforester05
AG
My mother has a 2015 that she bought new. She's very proactive with the maintenance and I think it's been fairly reliable. No problems with the CVT. When they say the 2.5L is underpowered, it's really hard describe until you drive it. The 2.5L is just too small of an engine for such a large vehicle. She had a 4 cylinder accord years ago and it was a rocket ship relative to the Outback. It should be fine for an elderly couple, just don't expect to ever pass anyone on a 2 lane highway.
'03ag
Flaith said:

Actually . . . It's a boxer
drumboy
AG
'03ag said:

Flaith said:

What's the difference? I remember my Subies and Beem bikes weren't really "flat" do flat engines even flatter?

Edit: all boxers are flat but not all flats are boxers.
'03ag
drumboy said:

'03ag said:

Flaith said:

What's the difference? I remember my Subies and Beem bikes weren't really "flat" do flat engines even flatter?

Edit: all boxers are flat but not all flats are boxers.

Yeah. In case that pic doesn't illustrate well enough it has to do with piston movement.

In a flat opposing pistons share a crank journal. So they move the same direction across the plane.

In a boxer opposing pistons have crank journals 180 apart, so the pistons come together at the bottom of their stroke, then move apart again. Resembling boxing gloves hitting each other.
nortex97
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Suburus are good vehicles for 100-120K miles. After that, they're hit and miss in general. I don't think they're up to the quality of the other good Japanese brands long term. With that said, they have the best designed AWD on the market and do drive well.

If you will get rid of the vehicle within 5-7 years, I'd say its a good choice. If you want to keep it for 8+ years, I'd look elsewhere. I personally wouldn't buy one.
Totally agree with this. I think the CVT replacement cost is still something around $5K and it's very likely to fail between 100-200K.
Grown Pear
AG
Are there any recommendations on Subaru Dealerships in Houston-College Station-Austin area … good ones or those to avoid?

Looking like we'll be purchasing an Outback next month.
Tim Weaver
No real issues from 2012 and newer Subaru's. They (mostly) fixed the oil leaks and they got rid of the timing belt and went to a chain.

Anything with a 2.5i (the "i" is the important bit) and the 3.6 are good cars whether manual or automatic. The 3.6 has decent power, where the 2.5i is kinda slow but the 2.5i gets incredible MPG for such a big car.
drumboy
AG
Grown Pear said:

Are there any recommendations on Subaru Dealerships in Houston-College Station-Austin area … good ones or those to avoid?

Chris Gillman (son of founder but runs it a bit I think ) is a wife-beating *****. Well he came off as a ***** the one time I hung out with him and found out later he beat his GF, which was a friend of a friend there.

So I'd avoid Gillman Subaru
TSW2012
AG
Grown Pear said:

We bought our last 2 Outback's from Mikael at Superior Subaru in Houston. We had a bad experience at Gilman both sales and service. Service was so bad Subaru corporate sent us a $250 gift card.
Grown Pear
AG
Thanks for that heads up - will avoid there for sure.
Grown Pear
AG
Awesome to hear. They are actually closest to me so this is good news.

Strike 2 on Gillman too, very interesting.
Grown Pear
AG
Looking like we're going to pull the trigger on an Outback soon. Should I be expecting the ability to negotiate down off MSRP or is MSRP likely it? Maybe work on a higher trade-in value?
vansprinkle
AG
Glad I saw this. I was thinking of buying a Subaru from Gilman.
mm98
AG
We bought an Ascent from Gillman North. Was not a great experience but it had the only model my wife wanted and you know how that goes.

If we get another Subaru I'll try to keep the business with West Houston. Prob the best overall service and honesty, but just no inventory at the time
Grown Pear
AG
Update for others interested in Subaru. Traded in one vehicle for a new Outback for the Mrs. Went to Superior Subaru of Houston on 290 @ Beltway. Phenomenal experience and I would highly recommend them.

If curious, I paid full MSRP for it which I was fine with ($39k), and I got more trade in value on my car than what Carmax appraised it for just an hour earlier.

Very impressed with the Outback. Great mixture of being a solid and simple car yet has a ton of good tech. Not exaggerating here, the adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist is just as good as the Tesla I used to have.
mm98
AG
Rules man. Rules.

And congrats. What trim and engine?
Grown Pear
AG
I know! The wife left the next day on a trip so I don't have it for a pic.

Limited trim with the one package option they have. Really good sweet spot between all it has and the price.

Edit: Actually here's a pic of it from when I went to initially scout them out.

Lobster Twins
AG
We have a black one...wife's company car since they went woke.

It's really not a bad driving car I suppose but there are some major annoyances with it...and these things annoy you on a daily basis. I'll spare you my dislike for the wagon look itself as that's just preference.

The auto engine shutoff thing sucks. It doesn't work as well as Chevys and is very jerky when the car starts back up. Just seems more unpredictable. Not being able to disable it permanently is ridiculous.

As previously mentioned the 'infotainment' screen is awful. It's somewhat slow to respond to input and too complicated to mess with unless you're parked or at a light so doing climate or radio while you're driving can get dangerous. For all the safety features they cram down your throat this thing seems like it will kill people.

It does have a rear backup camera but no distance sensor that beeps. ??? Awful.

The auto collision control is a cool concept but it just doesn't work right sometimes. It grinds the brakes on me half the time when I pull into the driveway behind my truck. Sometimes (often actually) while you're driving and someone is taking a right in front of you it often grinds the brakes as it pleases.

Automatic door handles are slow to respond and I find myself yanking them several times very often. Lots of little things like that don't seem to work well. The hatchback door does the same.

Most of these things are really Subaru related I guess and not the Outback specific. I was really just hoping that despite my dislike of the way it looks that it would be a fun modern updated thing to drive and it just misses the mark big time for me.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.