Best way to price a vehicle I am going to sell

1,659 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Roger350
2wealfth Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife's father passed recently; he had a 2002 3/4 ton Suburban we are trying to sell (8.1 L Vortec, 496 cu in.). How would I best determine a reasonable market value for this vehicle?
a07nathanb
AG
Post more details here. Miles, 2wd or 4wd, LS or LT

For what it's worth my sister in law sold a 4x4 8.1 Suburban 2 years ago with 200k for 7500 in about 30 minutes on Facebook.

mosdefn14
AG
Post details here. Possibly interested in DFW.
Yesterday
AG
2wealfth Man said:

My wife's father passed recently; he had a 2002 3/4 ton Suburban we are trying to sell (8.1 L Vortec, 496 cu in.). How would I best determine a reasonable market value for this vehicle?

Post the vin here or message me. I'll see what it sells for at auction and give you a good idea of what you can sell it for. I'm not interested in it fyi but happy to help.
2wealfth Man
AG
It is an LS. VIN is 3GNGC26G12G146483. 112K miles 2WD

It has rear cargo doors. Engine and chasis in great shape. New tires. It has been outside, so body is in fair condition (hail damage on hood and dent+plus scratch on passenger rear quarter panel. I put it there myself).

Has mostly been used for hauling supplies (I have been rehabing a few houses) and pulling flatbed a trailer (riding mowers, jobsite trash haul way, etc.). It is a workhorse. Sounds cool when that big ol' V-8 cranks up.

Father in-law ordered it new back in the day.

Located centrally in DFW (North Irving/Coppell)
Yesterday
AG
2wealfth Man said:

It has rear cargo doors. Engine and chasis in great shape. New tires. It has been outside, so body is in fair condition (hail damage on hood and dent+plus scratch on passenger rear quarter panel. I put it there myself).

Has mostly been used for hauling supplies (I have been rehabing a few houses) and pulling flatbed a trailer (riding mowers, jobsite trash haul way, etc.). It is a workhorse. Sounds cool when that big ol' V-8 cranks up.

Well I was afraid that this being an odd ball vehicle there wouldn't be any auction info and I was right. Did some digging and it's a tough one to price. If I had to guess though I think you're at $7-10k when considering the body damage.

It's a vehicle that will be priced truly on who wants it and how bad. Also depends on how fast you want to sell it. I'd start at $11k and see where it goes.
2wealfth Man
AG
Yesterday said:

2wealfth Man said:

Well I was afraid that this being an odd ball vehicle there wouldn't be any auction info and I was right. Did some digging and it's a tough one to price. If I had to guess though I think you're at $7-10k when considering the body damage.

It's a vehicle that will be priced truly on who wants it and how bad. Also depends on how fast you want to sell it. I'd start at $11k and see where it goes.
thanks so much for the information
Roger350
AG
What is the payload rating on the sticker on the door jamb for this truck? Might be interested as a tow rig.
2wealfth Man
AG
Roger350 said:

What is the payload rating on the sticker on the door jamb for this truck? Might be interested as a tow rig.
rated towing capacity is 12,000 lbs.
Roger350
AG
Thanks, the payload rating will dictate if you can really pull 12k though, because at least 1200 lbs should be on the tongue if you are pulling 12k. Many half ton pickups are actually payload limited, 3/4 tons have higher payload ratings, but a big 3 row suburban probably doesn't have as high a payload rating as a 3/4 ton pickup.
2wealfth Man
AG
door sticker
hurricanejake02
AG
If it was just 4WD...
Roger350
AG
Thanks for the picture. There should be another sticker on the body side of the door jamb in the same basic spot that shows the payload rating. Usually it's a white and yellow sticker and has the tire pressures on it as well as the number of passengers and the max payload rating. On my 2007 Tahoe the sticker you posted would line up perfectly with the "Tire and Loading" sticker, so with the door closed the two stickers would be facing each other. From research it appears the payload rating should fall somewhere between 2500 and 3153 lbs, depending on the weight of all the options. The sticker you posted is very important info for trailer loading too, but to use the info you have to put the truck on scales. The payload number is a more general indication of how much stuff you can put in the truck, including trailer tongue weight. If you happen to know the rear axle gear ratio, 3.73 or 4.10 that would be great info too.

As for your original question, some of the on line car buyers like give me the vin and even CarMax can help you put a value on it, and could even buy it from you with very little hassle. I've sold 2 or 3 older high mile vehicles to CarMax because I didn't want to mess with private party sales. Being a 2002 some of those places may say it is too old, but since it has low miles for that year they may still make an offer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.