I sold my truck two years ago and NTTA just sent...

4,994 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by txyaloo
theJonatron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
...a $710 bill for unpaid toll fees on a third notice basis.

To protect myself from NTTA I submitted Vehicle Transfer Notification Confirmation to Texas DMV upon the sale of my old truck. I removed the truck from my NTTA account. All of this happened within 30 days of selling the vehicle.

I did not receive a first or second notice for said fees. I received this third notice with an impound threatening letter.

I texted the individual about this and I called him. No responses. To make this extra ****ty he's an Aggie that I sold to on classifieds.

NTTA said the license plate is still under my name. I called DMV and they shared the title and registration is not under my name. WTF?

DMV emailed me evidence of the Vehicle Transfer Notification Confirmation and shared if I take that to NTTA it will remove the bill from my name and they will stop sending threats. I have to fill out a form and go to the DMV and pay $3.30 to get an official document that NTTA will accept.

Is NTTA just using predatory tactics to get their money?

Any other ideas?
Picard
AG
We're all going to search so I'll just save everyone else the trouble.

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3134515

theJonatron
AG
hah. I don't know if he posted or not. he did text me. have his address, name, phone number already.
Tim Weaver
Typical "not my job" bureaucracy in motion.

Keep calling and talking to people. At some point they will drop it. They know you didn't do it, but it takes the rare combination of someone having a brain, giving a sht, and doing their actual job and putting in the work.

I've had to go through this twice. I now take my plates off the vehicles I sell.
rme
AG
It's really easy to add and remove cars from your account at NTTA.org. You can even temporarily add rental cars.
BrazosDog02
AG
If the name and registration is not under your name, I'd tell them to pound sand. Actually, I would, and have, just thrown the notices in the trash. Once I've notified the owner and the toll folks, it's their problem. I will only do 20% of someone else's job one time.
Stat Monitor Repairman
If you sell your car; take the plates.
Furlock Bones
AG
this. always, always take the plates.
aggiepaintrain
AG
theJonatron said:

hah. I don't know if he posted or not. he did text me. have his address, name, phone number already.

I've always wanted 1ags contact info
EMY92
AG
The guy you sold it to probably has a toll tag and has been paying properly. However, they're probably going after you to double dip.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I received this third notice with an impound threatening letter.
Tell them to f off and go ahead and impound it.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Your old tags are probably on the back of an 04 Impala with spinners.

txags92
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I received this third notice with an impound threatening letter.
Tell them to f off and go ahead and impound it.
This. Tell them to come to your house and tow it away. Let them waste the time of a bunch of repo tow truck drivers trying to come get it. The waitresses at your local Hooters will appreciate the break.
Mas89
AG
Always take both Liscense plates off when you sell a vehicle. And the toll tag. Even if you sell to your knuckle head cousin.
ETA Burn the plates after removing.
robertcope
Take the plates, toll tag, AND fill out the transfer form with the state: https://webdealer.txdmv.gov/title/publicVehicleTransfer.do
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
robertcope said:

Take the plates, toll tag, AND fill out the transfer form with the state: https://webdealer.txdmv.gov/title/publicVehicleTransfer.do

This. All day.
GiveUsRoom94
Or Chrysler 300
aggiedata
AG
I read some old posts if yours. This was your tag line at one point.

It's fun to do bad things.

Karma.
theJonatron
AG
thanks for the replies everyone. the current owner texted me a couple of hours after this post and took care of the fines and apologized. NTTA didn't allow him to open an account on the truck and he never got any bills. seems like another screw up and predatory practices that not surprisingly our governments allow.

as for aggiedata...its from Latarian Milton. comical video unless your humor is on the dryer side.

take care everyone
Towns03
AG
I sold a truck once to a guy who paid cash. He left with the only copy of the Bill of Sale and never bothered to register it.

He ran red light cameras and drove through toll booths for months. I had to appeal over and over and eventually had to show up in person somewhere in downtown Houston to present my case. I ended up having to pay all the fines.

Take the plates. No matter what.
The Wonderer
AG
Towns03 said:

I sold a truck once to a guy who paid cash. He left with the only copy of the Bill of Sale and never bothered to register it.

He ran red light cameras and drove through toll booths for months. I had to appeal over and over and eventually had to show up in person somewhere in downtown Houston to present my case. I ended up having to pay all the fines.

Take the plates. No matter what.
Towns03
AG
Yep. I wish I could say that was the dumbest thing I've done...
malenurse
AG
Mas89 said:

Always take both Liscense plates off when you sell a vehicle. And the toll tag. Even Especially if you sell to your knuckle head cousin.
ETA Burn the plates after removing.
FIFY
Kenneth_2003
AG
The one time I sold a vehicle person to person I drug them to the Tax Office. Handed over the bill of sale and watched their face fall to the floor when they got handed a bill for the sales tax!

I didn't give them the keys or sign the title until the process was finished. Entertainment and the plates weren't my problem!
agracer
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

The one time I sold a vehicle person to person I drug them to the Tax Office. Handed over the bill of sale and watched their face fall to the floor when they got handed a bill for the sales tax!

I didn't give them the keys or sign the title until the process was finished. Entertainment and the plates weren't my problem!
I can't imagine a buyer sitting in the tax office with me for the hours it takes to get to an open booth….?
txyaloo
AG
agracer said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

I can't imagine a buyer sitting in the tax office with me for the hours it takes to get to an open booth….?
Maybe live somewhere that doesn't suck?

I registered/titled an out of state car a few weeks ago. I was in and out of the tax office in 15 minutes. About half that time was them trying to figure out how to deal with a CA title. One of the few perks of registering cars in a small town.
txags92
AG
txyaloo said:

agracer said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

I registered/titled an out of state car a few weeks ago. I was in and out of the tax office in 15 minutes. About half that time was them trying to figure out how to deal with a CA title. One of the few perks of registering cars in a small town.
When I did that in Harris County late last year and early this year, it took 3 visits (with appointments required to be made in advance) over the course of about 3.5 months to get it done.
The Fife
txyaloo said:

agracer said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

This. I've always gone to the tax office in the middle of the morning here in Charleston and have maybe waited 10 minutes. They did have a hard time dealing with the title of my Acura, which my dad just left in my (deceased) brother's name for 6 years but getting a little paperwork sent over took care of that.
txyaloo
AG
txags92 said:

txyaloo said:

agracer said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

When I did that in Harris County late last year and early this year, it took 3 visits (with appointments required to be made in advance) over the course of about 3.5 months to get it done.
The first time I titled an out of state vehicle, it took a few trips. It's pretty straight forward if you have the title, 130u, bill of sale, inspection, and proof of insurance.

Luckily my small tax office usually doesn't have long waits and doesn't require appointments. Though with covid, they're still only allowing 1 person per clerk in the office.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.