A/C oddity

728 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
Dr. Venkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This happens to me maybe once a year. I'll start my truck, drive down the road and realize the A/C is not blowing cold. Today, it wasn't just not cold, it was hot. Come to a stop, cycle the A/C control and can hear the compressor turn on. Still hot. Work the cold/hot dial, does nothing. Trying to think through what it would be.

Get to where I'm going and turn off the truck. Come back and the A/C magically works again. As if a computer needed to be rebooted. What could have caused this?
fooz
This used to happen when I had an 11 F150. I had to change out the blower motor resistor/control module.

eta: sometimes a swift kick under the passenger side dash would get it going again
Dr. Venkman
AG
I change that out once a year too. But I thought that only controls how fast the fan blows, not whether it is hot or cold. Usually the symptom is the fan only works on speed 5.
Sazerac
AG
My Lexus GX has been doing something similar.
Gives a climate control error and blows warm.
Once just turning it off of Auto made it blow cold but usually it takes cycling the car on off. It has been very random. My guess is something to do with the ambient sensor.
MouthBQ98
AG
Blend gate malfunction pushing the air through the heater core instead of the evap core duct.
Brad_97
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Blend gate malfunction pushing the air through the heater core instead of the evap core duct.

This. Tahoe used to do this. A/c on passenger side and pure heat on driver. Would often reset when turning of vehicle before failing totally.
Koko Chingo
AG
The blend gate actuator would be my guess. Hopefully it is accessible.

It should be an inexpensive part with a connector and a couple of mounting holes.

I was able to pop out the glove box and change one. A co-worker had one that was buried under the the dash and was a complete pain.

If you have a library card from most public libraries in Texas you should have online access to the Chiltons manuals and wiring diagrams. It should have the troubleshooting guide. You just need a multimeter and some shade.

Good luck.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
My f150 did this and got stuck blowing hot.
Finally gave up trying to fix it and took it to a shop and told them just to get it stuck on ice cold.
No heater but in south Texas isn't a big deal
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.