Bought a car 45 days ago and now blown head gasket

4,937 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
RebelE91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And of course we didn't get the extended warranty. The car was just out of the OEM warranty when we bought it. We noticed the engine got hot about two weeks after we bought it, but the mechanic didn't find anything other than adding fluid. But it happened again. Took it to another mechanic who just diagnosed it. At least now I know where the coolant went.

The issue didn't show up on the carfax...

Does anybody think I have any recourse against the dealer that sold it to us? Any chance I can get a retroactive extended service warranty? TIA
Complete Idiot
Just a 30 day warranty from the used car dealer? Or zero? I would definitely get with them and see what they say.

If very close to the OEM end you could try to find a nice dealership, I think I've heard sometimes they'll work with you. Check for technical bulletins from the manufacturer to see if this is a big issue for this model and perhaps they extended warranty repairs on the head gasket?

Year/Make/Model/Engine?

Dealership?
RebelE91
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Just a 30 day warranty from the used car dealer? Or zero? I would definitely get with them and see what they say.

If very close to the OEM end you could try to find a nice dealership, I think I've heard sometimes they'll work with you. Check for technical bulletins from the manufacturer to see if this is a big issue for this model and perhaps they extended warranty repairs on the head gasket?

Year/Make/Model/Engine?

Dealership?
2018 Ford Edge 2.0L. 63k miles. Bought from Gillman Mitsubishi in Houston.
The contract says "Unless seller makes a written warranty, or enters into a service contract within 90 days from the date of this contract, the seller makes no warranties expressed or implied....

I have a call into the dealer to discuss this. So I have 90 days to enter into a service contract. But it seems like this would be a "preexisting condition" that likely wouldn't be covered.
lb3
AG
I'm glad it wasn't an '05 G35.
MouthBQ98
AG
That's sketchy crap someone should have noticed at the dealer in my view. It's easy to spot symptoms of boiling coolant.
RebelE91
AG
And I found a TSB from Ford that addresses the exact problem. The solution is to replace the engine. I talked to the local Ford dealer and they say there is no extended warranty for the issue and nothing they can do. Crap.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Call other dealers
Escalate to corporate
EMY92
AG
Ford's warranty costs have skyrocketed due to crappy build quality.

They are not generous in extending warranty on anything currently.
91AggieLawyer
AG
What mechanic didn't find anything wrong other than adding fluid? The original dealer's mechanic?

If so, that's probably what you should focus on.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Thats a long way of saying the sale is as is, no warranty.
RebelE91
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

What mechanic didn't find anything wrong other than adding fluid? The original dealer's mechanic?

No, it was my local mechanic that I trust for most of the routine repairs.
BBRex
AG
I know this kind of thing is rare, but this is the reason why I usually buy new.
aggiedata
AG
Someone probably poured Blue Devil head gasket sealer and got a temporary fix to trade in the car. We got burned on a motorcycle purchase once like this. I wouldn't think the Dealer knew. They don't do much looking around when it's a Ford at a Mitsubishi dealer.

Don't trust Carfax for finding this kind of thing in the future.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Yeah that sounds about right.
aggiedata
AG
Want to hear the crappy part? Buyer Beware is the used car law in Texas. Your only real recourse is to become a seller.
water turkey
Sorry man. That sucks.

I would try my luck at the Corporate level. You never know….
dubi
AG
That sucks, but I doubt you have a recourse.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
91AggieLawyer said:

EDIT: after reading the last couple of posts, it seems that your mechanic and ford likely didn't even know there was an issue if it was temp fixed and topped off. In that case, you're hosed. I wish dealers could be held accountable for everything they sell. I gaurantee if I sold a pistol with a faulty trigger that "I didn't know about" someone would have my ass in a sling in short order.

A 60 day no hassle return would be nice. Ain't no dealership in the state can't eat a bad car occasionally and they should be held to a standard being a dealer.

Maybe they'd be a little more careful.
aggiedata
AG
On the flip side, in Texas, a dealer can take a bad trade and have no recourse either. Buyer beware works that way as well.

Picard
AG
aggiedata said:

On the flip side, in Texas, a dealer can take a bad trade and have no recourse either. Buyer beware works that way as well.

Which dealership was it that someone here was litigating for deceptive trade practices? Sell it to that dealership!

Jack Cheese
AG
Picard said:

aggiedata said:

Which dealership was it that someone here was litigating for deceptive trade practices? Sell it to that dealership!

Reminds me, would be great to get an update on that thread.
10andBOUNCE
AG
BBRex said:

I know this kind of thing is rare, but this is the reason why I usually buy Toyota.

FIFY
TxAggieBand85
AG
Question: If head gasket, why not pull the head, machine the head and do a new gasket? Replacement of engine required? Why?

If just the head gasket service needs to be done, way less than engine replacement.
MouthBQ98
AG
Yeah, a blown head gasket is only fatal if you run it like that long enough for the Jack of cooling or lubrication to damage bearings.

Otherwise, you get the surfaces cleaned and milled if necessary and put on replacement gaskets or headers if necessary, typically.

Expensive, but not crate engine expensive.
agracer
AG
Should be $1500-$2000 tops. Get it fixed and move on knowing you have a now reliable car.
RebelE91
AG
Jack Cheese said:

Picard said:

aggiedata said:

So I took the vehicle to another mechanic and they ran more diagnostics. They say the problem was not a blown head gasket but instead a bad head temperature sensor. I'm about to go pick it up and see how it goes
Jason_InfinityRoofer
aggiedata said:

Yep. This is why I buy brand new. The last used truck I bought was when I turned 15. But also, I only buy trucks and SUV and it has never been a better deal to go used over new so...there's that. That said, I expect a far better assessment of a vehicle from a dealer bringing it in than I do a consumer buying it. Regardless of the law, that dealer should make it right.

I can recall several instances of my old dealer back home covering warranty costs on the used truck I bought from them, even though it was outside of warranty. Sometimes it was completely covered, and sometimes I had to meet them halfway, but they always made an attempt to make it right. That sort of thing is possibly a thing of the past as is most customer service.
Picard
AG
RebelE91 said:

Jack Cheese said:

Picard said:

aggiedata said:

So I took the vehicle to another mechanic and they ran more diagnostics. They say the problem was not a blown head gasket but instead a bad head temperature sensor. I'm about to go pick it up and see how it goes

How does a bad sensor make coolant disappear?

aggiedata
AG
I agree with your premise but I started buying used Toyotas/Lexus and my luck improved. For the same purchase price, I would take a used Lexus GX470/60 out of warranty over a new Buick Enclave, Chevy Traverse, Santa Fe any day. I know of too many instances of a 'disposal' new cars where people buy one to be protected by the warranty. It may not cost you in repairs but they most certainly are a pain and it will cost you to get rid of it. Don't do that for the warranty.

But generally a new car is better absolutely.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Picard said:

RebelE91 said:

Jack Cheese said:

Picard said:

aggiedata said:

How does a bad sensor make coolant disappear?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.