Logistics of selling Travel Trailer - Ppwk/Pmt

727 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexAg1987
Grown Pear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I plan on speaking to my banker and the local tax office tomorrow to make sure I have everything covered logistically, but would love to hear from the TexAgs brain trust to make sure I'm as educated on this as I can be.

It looks like we'll be selling our travel trailer to on out-of-state person, and likely over the weekend (i.e. when the banks and tax offices are closed).

• What documents do I need to make sure to have and sign? (e.g. Bill of Sale, Cert of Title, etc...).
  • What would be the best/most secure form of payment to receive. I would prefer a wire transfer but with bank closed is Cashier's Check most secure?
  • Once paperwork is signed (do I keep originals or copies?) do they leave with paperwork, title, and trailer all together and I keep the cashier's check, and that's it?

Other (potentially) useful information:
  • Sales price is high 5-figures
  • Trailer is paid off, title is in hand
  • I'm in Texas, but Buyer is out-of-state (driving here to get trailer)
  • Likely will take place on the weekend with banks closed
  • Was originally registered during 2020, expired in 2021 and I attempted twice to renew registration online but both times I got notification weeks later it didn't work. It has just been sitting on my property and not on the roadways. Will this being expired be a problem?

Thanks for any help
aggiepaintrain
AG
The safest way is to have wire transfer completed before they come and the money sitting in your account, but the buyer probably does want to do that.

Next safest is cash money which is a pain for everyone.

Last and probably the real option is for the buyer to get a cashiers check printed and send you a picture of it so you can call his bank and verify it is real.

Make up a bill of sale, use internet examples. Sign back of title as seller, get him to fill out back of title as buyer.
Take pictures of all paperwork or make copies and get a pic of his ID and even better to make him get insurance on it and get a copy of that.

Cancel your insurance after it makes it to the final destination
Corps_Ag12
AG
both y'all sign the title but hold it until the check clears the bank. Then mail it to him.
TexAg1987
You can get a temporary one way registration permit to allow him to get it to his destination.

Temporary Vehicle Registration | TxDMV.gov
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.