Invoice vs. MSRP

1,999 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by GrapevineAg
Hungry Ojos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is there a site or a way to figure out what the invoice price is on a vehicle? Helping a buddy out on a $76k MSRP Silverado 2500 (VIN is 2GC1YPEY3N1217705) but want to figure out what the invoice was first. Thanks in advance.
Bronco6G
Can't be of much help on a Chevy. But in general there is a bigger discrepancy between invoice and MSRP on the options versus the base vehicle. Depending on how it is optioned I'd say you could use 5% as the overall difference between invoice and MSRP and be in the ballpark. The base vehicle is probably around a 4% difference, and the options are most likely closer to 6-7%.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Unless things have changed significantly (and they might have) its a heck of a lot more than 5%. More like 12%. But again, those are decades old numbers. However, I doubt they've been cut in half. Plus, they were based on cars costing a fraction of what they do now, less fixed cost, fewer dealers, etc. I'd be shocked if the number is now much less than 10%.

Then you have other variables like holdback and dealer rebates, some of which may have changed in the last few years.

To answer the OPs question, invoice numbers are out there but you'll just have to search. I can't give you a specific site. You may not be able to find exact numbers for each option, but you should be able to get enough to give you a rough percentage.
Bronco6G
The vehicle I bought about 6 months ago (Ford) the difference was about 4%
brownandred
3.5-5% not that it matters
Furlock Bones
AG
Edmunds used to make it very easy to find the invoice pricing. But, they are either owned or completely supported by the auto industry now and they make it much more difficult to find.
Roger350
AG
I'll see if I can plug it into the GM Supplier discount website. If I can, I'm pretty sure I can see the invoice price.
Roger350
AG
Can you give me the dealer name and location (zip would be great) and the particulars on the truck, I'm not seeing a place I can just enter a VIN.
Mookie
AG
Invoice on my bronco was $47+ on a $49k+ window sticker
Roger350
AG
I googled the VIN and got what I needed. GM Supplier Price is 72,595 versus the 76,660. And there is an additional 500 in customer cash. This isn't exactly invoice price but it is +/- 500 from invoice and would be a screaming deal on a vehicle if you haven't ordered it and waited 6 months.
reproag
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

Is there a site or a way to figure out what the invoice price is on a vehicle? Helping a buddy out on a $76k MSRP Silverado 2500 (VIN is 2GC1YPEY3N1217705) but want to figure out what the invoice was first. Thanks in advance.
MSRP $77,660
Invoice $74,193.88
Hungry Ojos
awesome, thank all of you very much. So not much difference between invoice and MSRP anymore it looks like.
Bronco6G
No, the auto industry has figured out that consumer's have figured out the invoice pricing, so they compensate the dealers differently nowadays with bigger rebates, better pricing on parts, etc...
lb3
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Unless things have changed significantly (and they might have) its a heck of a lot more than 5%. More like 12%. But again, those are decades old numbers. However, I doubt they've been cut in half. Plus, they were based on cars costing a fraction of what they do now, less fixed cost, fewer dealers, etc. I'd be shocked if the number is now much less than 10%.

Then you have other variables like holdback and dealer rebates, some of which may have changed in the last few years.

To answer the OPs question, invoice numbers are out there but you'll just have to search. I can't give you a specific site. You may not be able to find exact numbers for each option, but you should be able to get enough to give you a rough percentage.
You're rolling the holdbacks and incentives into the invoice.

20 years ago the invoice was around 6% with another 6% coming back to the dealer sometime after the sale.
Hungry Ojos
Bronco6G said:

No, the auto industry has figured out that consumer's have figured out the invoice pricing, so they compensate the dealers differently nowadays with bigger rebates, better pricing on parts, etc...

So is the "invoice" amount really what the dealer paid for the vehicle? Like in this particular example, is the invoice amount they'll at Repro posted, the actual cost to the dealer?
GrapevineAg
AG
Nope. As mentioned above, the dealerships get a holdback from the manufacturer (used to be 2-3% depending on the manufacturer) and incentives.
WSCTR
tk for tu juan
Base price w/o options:
https://www.car-buying-strategies.com/dealer-invoice/chevrolet-silverado-2500hd-prices.html
Hungry Ojos
Very helpful, thank you sir.

Thank you all!
reproag
AG
GrapevineAg said:

Nope. As mentioned above, the dealerships get a holdback from the manufacturer (used to be 2-3% depending on the manufacturer) and incentives.
Hold back is at 1% now and most vehicles don't have incentives
GrapevineAg
AG
My point still stands - invoice does not equal the true dealer cost.
WSCTR
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.