Tear in Leather Seat - Prevent Further Damage??

646 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BrazosDog02
TheOC16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So this weekend I noticed I've popped a small tear in the leather on the driver's seat of my RAM 1500 (well technically it's some sort of weird faux leather, but they're very nice seats in the Built to Serve Edition).

How do I fix this or at minimum prevent it from getting worse? It is the area probably most susceptible to damage, as the way these seats curve I essentially have to sit directly on the side first and then slide over it every time I get in or out of the truck.

I love and try to baby this truck, and especially now with the market I guess I'll be driving it until it craters (28,000 miles currently).

Useful repair tips wanted! Thanks!

3rdgenAg2010
Could it still be covered under warranty.
TheOC16
AG
3rdgenAg2010 said:

Could it still be covered under warranty.
Doubt it but that is definitely the best place to start. I'll check.
Hungry Ojos
This is one of those opportunities where those BS dealer add ons might work in your favor!
kubiak03
AG
Duct tape
EMY92
AG
Even if it's not warranty, ask the dealer who they send it to for their work.

I had a similar situation on my '06 F150, It was warranty, but not done at the dealer.
AgGrad99
AG
If you're not trying to repair it, and just want to reinforce it so it doesnt tear more...

Cut off a small piece of material...maybe something like denim, and tuck it inside the tear. Work it in there with a toothpick or something similar, to make sure it's laying flat. Make sure to over-lap all around the tear, inside the seat...especially at the corners where the tear would extend.

Use a glue (something like gorilla glue or Loctite), and put it on the new material....gluing the inserted material to the cut leather. All glue is between the new inserted piece, and your seat leather. You can use superglue, but if you arent perfect, it'll be noticeable on the outside, whereas the other two allow you to wipe it off before it dries.

Hold the seam together, so it dries without being open...you can even use some masking tape, or paint tape to hold it overnight while it dries.

This should keep it from tearing worse.
Mookie
AG
A little superglue in that will hold it for the short term
BrazosDog02
AG
Or you could just keep the truck for 100,000 miles until that little tear isn't a big deal anymore.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.