New truck advice

2,918 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lb3
George08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Previous truck '16 Chevy 1500. Was sufficient. Had to replace transmission at 130k. Tow a boat (23' shoal water) once or twice a month.

Would I be happier with the new 10 speed in the new 1500s or is a heavier duty truck gonna be worth it?
TRIDENT
AG
3/4 ton diesel 4x4 Crew is always worth it! Drive em all and pick your favorite. The big 3 are all killing it rn.
SquanchyAg
I wouldn't think twice about buying another 1500 to pull a 23' shoalwater a couple of times a month. that truck will pull that thing perfectly fine. and less maintenance than a diesel. will probably run longer than a diesel. and gas is cheaper.
El_duderino
half ton with the 3.0 duramax.
TikkaShooter
So many good options. I agree that pulling a 23' shoal isn't really 3/4 worthy, but you'll never know its there. Put it that way.
BeastmodeAg
AG
A 1500 would be pointless. Highly recommend a 3/4 ton.
Furlock Bones
AG
a 3/4 ton to pull a 23' shoalwater once a month. come on guys. i know this is Texags where other people's money is no object. but, a standard half ton handles that with ease.
TRIDENT
AG
Dude is pulling an $80,000 bay boat, I think he's good for the 3/4 ton.
MGS
FWIW, the 2022 HDs don't have the refreshed interiors like you get with the 1500.
TikkaShooter
That's right. I forgot the equation. Truck must be 1.5X price of boat.
El_duderino
I missed that part and changed my suggestion
Picard
AG
Furlock Bones said:

a 3/4 ton to pull a 23' shoalwater once a month. come on guys. i know this is Texags where other people's money is no object. but, a standard half ton handles that with ease.

Yeah but once you factor in the beer you're over the max payload

El_duderino
That's just Tundras
SquanchyAg
TikkaShooter said:

That's right. I forgot the equation. Truck must be 1.5X price of boat.
I feel like I'd rather have my boat be 1.5x price of the truck.
SquanchyAg
texags08
AG
George08 said:

Previous truck '16 Chevy 1500. Was sufficient. Had to replace transmission at 130k. Tow a boat (23' shoal water) once or twice a month.

Would I be happier with the new 10 speed in the new 1500s or is a heavier duty truck gonna be worth it?

2020 and up 2500s have the 10 speed as well.

Do you "need" a 2500? No. But it's your money. Whatever you're comfortable with. Be ready to pay more of a premium for a new 2500 than you pay for a new 1500.

Your question is the TexAgs equivalent of "Do I need a 250/2500 to tow my bumper pull camper?"

TexAgs: "if it's over 7,000# you absolutely NEED a 3/4 ton."
AKA the Command Center guy... 0E stacks member…
EMY92
AG
texags08 said:

TexAgs: "if it's over 700# you absolutely NEED a 3/4 ton."
Fixed that for you.
El_duderino
Only diesels. Gas HD trucks still have old faithful 6 speed
texags08
AG
True, I guess I just assumed that if someone was already buying the least purchased of the big three HD trucks they wouldn't also be getting the least purchased engine option of all three as well. Numbers game.

But seriously, the MPG on a gas HD has got to be horrendous while towing. All things equal wit his boat being the main trailer, why would you go gas 3/4 over gas 1/2, in Chevy especially? Honest question, I don't really know Chevy's all that much.
AKA the Command Center guy... 0E stacks member…
El_duderino
I changed my suggestion to just the half ton with the 3.0 duramax since it's only towing 1-2 times a month. Great mpg and has the power when needed.
My 6.6 gasser averaged about 9 towing an Rv. HD gas and 1/2 gas is apples and oranges, not even comparable.
George08
AG
Thanks for the responses. Picked a Sierra 1500 with the new dash. It is pretty sweet.
lb3
AG
This guy has some old truck advice:
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.