Tesla mpg-equivalent taking a hit in Texas?

4,454 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bam02
Ag_of_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Definitely don't disable battery overtemp protections on anything with a lithium battery.

LiFe will pop without a burn, but anybother lithium chemistry goes up in an epic burst of flame and some pretty nasty chemicals in an overheat/discharge. We flog the hell out of them in RC cars and drones( and yeah...They're the same kinds of battery, minus all the cooling ), and it's not uncommon to see an FPV race drone or a speed run car doing mach Jesus burst in to flames.
Cromagnum
AG
Nothing says energy efficiency like a vehicle that has to turn on a bunch of features to consume energy to keep itself from catching on fire.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Cromagnum said:

Nothing says energy efficiency like a vehicle that has to turn on a bunch of features to consume energy to keep itself from catching on fire.

Plenty of reasons to be critical of electric cars but this is a weird one. Pretty sure IC engines have lots of heat management systems as well.
Stat Monitor Repairman
We are not there yet with this.

People are optimistic, but I'm not seeing the technological leap that I should be seeing.

The reality is not lining up with the vision.

We went to the moon and never went back.

The technological leap never materialized.
aggieforester05
AG
Cromagnum said:

Similar to crappy automatic transmissions that have to use torque management to keep a gutless 5.3L V8 from exploding them. Technological advancements may be more comfortable and efficient but not always be as reliable or capable.
EMY92
AG
Cromagnum said:

Wouldn't that be similar to needing an engine block heater and putting anti-gelling compounds in your diesels in cold environments?
555-PINF
EMY92 said:

Cromagnum said:

Wouldn't that be similar to needing an engine block heater and putting anti-gelling compounds in your diesels in cold environments?

Not when it's not "on-board" energy that the vehicle has to use to run. Can't say I've ever walked out to my truck and found that my half a tank is now a quarter of a tank because it had to burn its own fuel supply to keep warm/cool.
double aught
AG
You're right, it's not the same. The Tesla is doing the work for you.
bam02
AG
Does your IC engine cooling system use any power?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.