Tesla mpg-equivalent taking a hit in Texas?

4,500 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bam02
Ciboag96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Learned something new today.

Spoke to a friend who recently bought a used model S. Went on a driving vacation with the fam and took the dinosaur burner given it was a long drive.

Battery was 60% on the Tesla before he left. Got back home and the parked Tesla had only 20 miles left. Couldn't figure it out until he did a Tesla message board search.

If the car gets too hot, then the car cooling system will start so the battery can be cooled. This is what happened, and is still happening. His garage is full and no shade tree in sight, at home and at the work parking lot. So his Tesla runs during the day in the heat. Says he will make room in the garage but work doesn't have an option.

He disabled the cabin temp protection but it is still running a lot during the day.

So, moral of the story, in hot climates you need to garage your Tesla or you'll use up precious energy keeping the batteries cool.
Sims
AG
You lose about 40% of battery life in extreme cold.

You lose battery life when it's extremely hot.

The range isn't high enough for most.

I love the idea of electric cars but it's not the blanket solution, yet, that many proponents make it out to be.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Here all this time I just thought it was F150 owners that said they couldn't get park in their garage.

Seriously people get rid of your junk.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
It might burn up if your buddy disables the auto cool feature.
WoMD
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Yep. I didn't like my crappy battery life on my old laptop so I took the fan out. Problem solved! And it's quieter now too!

Just don't keep it on your lap when using it…
YouBet
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Here all this time I just thought it was F150 owners that said they couldn't get park in their garage.

You beat me to the punch. If you have to park your car in the drive way then you are hoarder and have too much ***** Clean it out.
Ciboag96
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Disabled the cabin max temp cool. Not battery.
MouthBQ98
AG
I don't have a garage. I have a workshop. I might put my cars under the carport in a bad storm. Otherwise, they get to sit under the shade of some post oaks in the drive loop.
vansprinkle
AG
I have a couple neighbors whose garages are full of fridges, TVs, pool tables, shuffleboard tables, couches, etc. I'll never hate on them for not parking in their garage, because I love spending my evenings over there and their cars would just get in the way of my fun.

On the other hand, my garage holds my wife's GX and our golf cart.
bco2003
AG
I'd argue that my garage gets nearly as hot as it is outside. Granted it would likely be plugged in in there, but would still be using electricity to keep itself cool.
TexAg2001
AG
I recently returned from a trip to Scottsdale and was surprised by the number of Teslas driving around. It felt like 25% or more of all vehicles were some kind of Tesla. There were at least 10 parked near where I was at my resort and all of them were running every time I went to my car. It was well over 100 every day I was there, so I figured it was to keep the electronics cool inside the vehicle. I'm curious how much battery life that function uses and how it truly impacts range.
EMY92
AG
The garage gets hot, but being in the shade is much cooler than sitting in full sun.

If I get into my truck at 5 pm when it's in my garage, it may be in the upper 90s. If it's been sitting in the sun for several hours, it may be 140 in the truck.
Macarthur
Sims said:

You lose about 40% of battery life in extreme cold.

You lose battery life when it's extremely hot.

The range isn't high enough for most.

I love the idea of electric cars but it's not the blanket solution, yet, that many proponents make it out to be.

Yes, and no. I actually think the range is high enough for most for their driving habits 90%+ of the time.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/much-time-american-families-spend-153627904.html

I've even seen articles that say only about 40% of people actually drive everyday.

I do agree that EV have shortcomings and won't meet most folks needs 100% of the time, but I do think they do what most people need most of the time.
JAW3336
AG
YouBet said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

You beat me to the punch. If you have to park your car in the drive way then you are hoarder and have too much ***** Clean it out.
Wrong!

My garage holds my Model TT, electric scooters, tools, bikes, freezer, generator, and other toys. Definitely not a hoarder and still no room for our cars.
Attack life, It's going to kill you anyway!
drumboy
AG
I haven't heard any complaints from my coworkers w/ Teslas and other EVs that have to park at work in the intense sun on the Katy Prairie about battery depletion from the auto battery conditioning. The batteries are made to propel the car for 300 miles so circulating some coolant doesn't seem like a big deal.

In other news I just read that 3 & Y are the most American-made cars with the S & X coming soon after.

https://www.cars.com/american-made-index/

If we're talking garages I can fit a Tundra & QX56 in there with a ****-ton of other crap. Thankful for the oversized garage & high ceiling.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Ciboag96 said:

Learned something new today.

Spoke to a friend who recently bought a used model S. Went on a driving vacation with the fam and took the dinosaur burner given it was a long drive.

Battery was 60% on the Tesla before he left. Got back home and the parked Tesla had only 20 miles left. Couldn't figure it out until he did a Tesla message board search.

If the car gets too hot, then the car cooling system will start so the battery can be cooled. This is what happened, and is still happening. His garage is full and no shade tree in sight, at home and at the work parking lot. So his Tesla runs during the day in the heat. Says he will make room in the garage but work doesn't have an option.

He disabled the cabin temp protection but it is still running a lot during the day.

So, moral of the story, in hot climates you need to garage your Tesla or you'll use up precious energy keeping the batteries cool.

If its not plugged in at home or at work, where does he charge it?
JSKolache
AG
YouBet said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Eeeeeasy. We've been through this before. Half ton pickups and fullsize SUVs don't fit in spec home garages anymore. Builders still doing this should be run outta town.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
JAW3336 said:

YouBet said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Wrong!

My garage holds my Model TT, electric scooters, tools, bikes, freezer, generator, and other toys. Definitely not a hoarder and still no room for our cars.

Lists a bunch of stuff, follows it up with not a hoarder. See you on the next hail damage thread.
drumboy
AG
JSKolache said:

YouBet said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Eeeeeasy. We've been through this before. Half ton pickups and fullsize SUVs don't fit in spec home garages anymore. Builders still doing this should be run outta town.

Even $1+MM spec/custom houses in the heights area barely have room for full size vehicles.
JAW3336
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

JAW3336 said:

YouBet said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Wrong!

Lists a bunch of stuff, follows it up with not a hoarder. See you on the next hail damage thread.
we must have different definitions of a hoarder.
Attack life, It's going to kill you anyway!
TexAg2001
AG
When I became a homeowner 20 years ago, I challenged myself to to always have enough room to park at least 1 vehicle in the garage and I'm pretty proud to say that I've been successful at it so far. It takes some maintenance, though, and I have to reorganize or put things back where they belong about every 3 months.

My full size truck wouldn't fit in any of the 3 garages I've owned (even if it was completely empty - they weren't deep enough), but my wife's SUV or car has always had a spot. The rest of the garage is full of the typical: Bikes, tools, lawn equip, refrigerator, sports stuff, yard stuff, misc storage, plus a few kayaks and camping gear.
Sea Speed
AG
YouBet said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Spoken like someone who has never had children. Or hobbies.
Medaggie
There is an option to turn off the cabin overheat protection. Mine is on, and I have not seen that much battery depletion. I just looked it up and it wastes about .75mi/hour of protection. Not a big deal.
YouBet
AG
Sea Speed said:

YouBet said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Actually, I grew up having to clean out our garage all the damn time as a kid and it became a mission in life to not store a bunch of unnecessary crap once I became an adult and had my own garage.

Plus, I live in Dallas and people get their cars broken into daily if they leave it out in the driveway at night.

We also have built-in, air conditioned closet storage along one entire wall of the garage. It houses all of our boxes and hobby stuff.

OINK Privilege. It's real.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Sea Speed said:

YouBet said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

I have kids. I golf, bike, hike, woodwork, do all my own yard work, and have two SUVs lovingly nestled inside my garage.
drumboy
AG
YouBet said:

We also have built-in, air conditioned closet storage along one entire wall of the garage. It houses all of our boxes and hobby stuff..

More details on this, please.
Sea Speed
AG
And your garage is how big?

Don't get me wrong I can fit a whip inside mine but it is not worth it to deal with the constant headache of making sure everyone puts their crap back where it is supposed to go.
Sea Speed
AG
* on a daily basis.
ReloadAg
AG
Wife and I both park in the garage but only because we have a shed to hold lawn mowers and that kind of thing.
GAC06
AG
Garages are for cars. If you put other stuff in there, that's your choice. You could get a shed or a storage unit or better organization or get rid of some crap.
1208HawkTree
AG
On a related note, when we bought our house I got all excited because of the 10+ ft extended garage. I can fit a crew cab GMC, my wife's Camry, 5 bikes, 2 mowers, a ping pong table, a refrigerator, plus other misc. lawn equipment hanging up and other accumulated crap. It's still only a 2-car garage, width wise, but I've got a lot of room toward the back (what I know now is it's a 3-car garage turned 90-degrees).

Problem is (was) all three of my kids bike to school. Kids are not careful. Especially in the heat, rain, or cold before or after school. My wife's car's dark paint looks like we left it in the 5th ward for a week now. Handlebars, backpacks, pedals, etc will tear a car up with not a lot of wiggle room, plus kids that didn't pay for any of what they are trying to get past. I'm truly amazed at some of the locations of scratches that seemed to appear on a weekly basis. And most of the time when they left or came home, there was only one vehicle in there.
double aught
AG
drumboy said:

JSKolache said:

YouBet said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Even $1+MM spec/custom houses in the heights area barely have room for full size vehicles.
My Supercab F150 fits in one side of our 1974 built garage. It's a matter of inches, but it fits.
Sea Speed
AG
I played golf with a super rich guy who told the same story you just did but the car was his first ferrari. I never felt so poor.
EMY92
AG
My 2006 F150 would fit in my 1973 garage if I folded in one mirror. The house has a 2 car garage with 2 doors. Before getting a Raptor, I had the middle column removed and a custom door installed. The Raptor was way too wide to fit in a single width door. My 2006 super crew was much shorter than my 2018 or 2021 Raptors. I could walk around the front or back of the truck with the door shut. Now, the door must be open for me to get around the truck.
maroon barchetta
Must have taken a lot of stops and some careful route planning to make it to Texas!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.