Totaled my car over the weekend. Wow this market is wild!

3,115 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dr. Nefario
JerBu1337
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I luckily walked away with cuts and bruises, but am looking for a vehicle for the first time since the pandemic. Seems like there's new rules across the market.
I typically go used to avoid the drop in value of a new vehicle, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. So I was thinking about getting a new Ford Maverick near $25,000. Is that unrealistic to find one near MSRP and available? Any help through here or message would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Dallas, but would be willing to go to Houston or Austin to pick up if needed.
Furlock Bones
AG
JerBu1337 said:

So I luckily walked away with cuts and bruises, but am looking for a vehicle for the first time since the pandemic. Seems like there's new rules across the market.
I typically go used to avoid the drop in value of a new vehicle, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. So I was thinking about getting a new Ford Maverick near $25,000. Is that unrealistic to find one near MSRP and available? Any help through here or message would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Dallas, but would be willing to go to Houston or Austin to pick up if needed.
going to be very tough to find a Maverick at all. they are being snapped up for business vehicles.
Madman
AG
Where is the dash cam video?
drummer0415
AG
The general rule right now is, if you order a vehicle, you can get MSRP or less, but you have to wait. If you want something on the lot right now, be prepared to pay MSRP or more.

Mavericks are a special case because they are a new model. You may have trouble finding them at any price.
Rattler12
Never ever in my 72 years of life on this planet would I have ever thought I'd hear that Ford Mavericks would be in high demand.......we really are up that proverbial creek
Bronco6G
My mom used to have a saying that applies to today's vehicle market...

"You'll get what you get, and you won't throw a fit"
Furlock Bones
AG
Rattler12 said:

Never ever in my 72 years of life on this planet would I have ever thought I'd hear that Ford Mavericks would be in high demand.......we really are up that proverbial creek

Small truck with fantastic gas mileage. Every business owners dream especially right now.
JerBu1337
AG
I wish I had one from the car I had to avoid by driving in front of and ramping over their driveway!
AgGrad99
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Rattler12 said:

Small truck with fantastic gas mileage. Every business owners dream especially right now.
Yep.

They've taken the place of the Nissan Frontiers, since the new version of those are pricey.
CanyonAg77
AG
Rattler12 said:

Then you remember the original Maverick compact car. Not a bad little cheap hot rod, if you got one with a 302.

When they discontinued them in the 70s, I saw a magazine article claiming some guy bought 3 of them. One to drive, others to drive when the first one wore out. He thought it was the best car ever built.

I always wished someone would do a follow up story. Wonder if he regretted it, and how long it took to run through all 3. I bet less than 10 years for all three
Dill-Ag13
AG
buy a beater, pocket the cash, and check back on the market in 2-3 years, just my 2 cents
EMY92
AG
The downside to that is with the current rate of inflation, the vehicle in 2 to 3 years will cost way more than the ADMs dealers are charging today.

Unless you're lucky, it's not a good time to buy.
Dill-Ag13
AG
I'll take my chances
philothea
JerBu1337 said:

You find one at MRSP on a dealer lot right now it would be like finding a unicorn at the end of a rainbow. Even if it did exist someone would buy it to flip it to Carvana and make 5-7k.

Not sure if you want the hybrid or the Eco Boost. I plan to order one when the order banks open in August and am expecting a year wait to actually get it. I think there will be many people ordering more than one in the hopes to flip one when they get it. Plus I think more companies will be getting them for fleet vehicles.
MTTANK
AG
I like the mavericks too. Saw one in the wild the other day, looked as good as the pictures imo. Thinking it would make a cool extra car, but would like to drive one before ordering
GIG 'EM
Dill-Ag13
AG
It's a hybrid Ford Escape with a truck bed
EMY92
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

I'll take my chances
I ordered a truck a year ago, before I took delivery, Ford raised the price 3 times, fortunately, I got the truck at the original price and not with the $5250 increase.

There have been at least a couple of more increases since I got mine.
Dill-Ag13
AG
I don't see prices continuing to rise like this through a recession, will start to see demand destruction followed by a pricing correction
Picard
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

I don't see prices continuing to rise like this through a recession, will start to see demand destruction followed by a pricing correction

Normally I'd agree, but we now have a few years of pent up demand from deferred purchases during COVID.
Tim Weaver
Buy a Honda Fit or similar pregnant roller skate car. Save gas money and stack that cash until the market returns to normal in a couple years, then buy whatever you want. You'll be so far ahead financially that you could buy two Mavericks if you want.
maverick12
AG
I'm not sure about the Maverick but if you order, you can find dealerships offering invoice on F150s and other vehicles. Then you have to wait for it to be built. Climbing interest rates will have to slow automotive sales at least to some extent. I still wouldn't expect pre-pandemic prices anytime in the foreseeable future though.
Dill-Ag13
AG
True and not to be pedantic but that's why I said a couple years
MTTANK
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

It's a hybrid Ford Escape with a truck bed
Indeed. I'm curious about the interior as much as anything. Not the same as an escape interior wise at all. Don't worry, I have a Bro dozer Raptor, 1st gen Tundra, and an Expedition. I'll carry pictures of them in my wallet to show people I'm a badass when or if I ever drive a Maverick Escape.
GIG 'EM
94AGBQ
AG
I love my hybrid lariat maverick. It took 8.5 months to receive it after i ordered. 8 months for a hybrid is a best case scenario now. Up to a year wait for many people at this point.

Good luck finding one that's available for sale right now. It's not impossible but they are unicorns. I've only seen one other hybrid in the three months since I've had mine. If you do find one expect anywhere from 5 to 10k over Msrp.

Oh and I like the interior. It is nothing like the escape other than the gear shift knob. Everything is easy to reach and makes sense for use. Best of luck in your search.
Dr. Nefario
maverick12 said:

I'm not sure about the Maverick but if you order, you can find dealerships offering invoice on F150s and other vehicles. Then you have to wait for it to be built. Climbing interest rates will have to slow automotive sales at least to some extent. I still wouldn't expect pre-pandemic prices anytime in the foreseeable future though.

Username does not check out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.