Old school rule one

4,559 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Silvy
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Y'all probably know I don't mind driving old stuff, I've got the skills, the shop, and the time to keep them going. That's why I've been pulling my RV with a 2002 GMC Sierra crew cab 2500HD 2WD. It has the 8.1L gas, and Allison transmission, and just under 100,000 miles. But with the monster engine, and 4.10 gears, it uses gas like it was coming out of a firehose.

So when I stumbled across the identical truck, except in 4WD and diesel, I jumped on it. As I said, practically the same truck, just different drivetrain and 137,000 miles. Still have some work to do on cosmetics, switching the air bags and towing mirrors from the gasser, etc. But I like the new one. I loved the old one, too. It just got tiresome being able to pass everything on the road, other than a gas station.

Here's some photos of the twins, as I'm getting ready to sell the 8.1L. The diesel is the one with the 4x4 decal

Mookie
AG
Basic birch overload!!! Silvy lover gonna need a few minutes alone.
Silvy
AG
Miss her
CanyonAg77
AG
silverado_lover said:

Miss her
The 8.1 is up for sale. Come on home!
schmendeler
AG
Roughly, what is the improvement in fuel consumption?
CanyonAg77
AG
schmendeler said:

Roughly, what is the improvement in fuel consumption?
Haven't run the diesel enough to know. The 8.1 gets 11mpg empty, can drop as low as 7-8 pulling an RV hard. Even less going fast or in wind or hills.

Diesel is supposed to be 14-17 empty, and not much lower when towing.

Maybe a diesel guy can let us know.

I also needed the torque. The 8.1 pulls well, up to a point. Probably 60-70% of the capacity of a diesel. But add a hill or a strong headwind, and the 8.1 can't cut it.

Was also nice to get 4WD. Don't really plan on using it, but a nice insurance policy.
TSW2012
AG
How much are you selling the gasser for?
HollywoodBQ
CanyonAg77
AG
TSW2012 said:

How much are you selling the gasser for?
Starting out on the extreme high end of KBB at $17,500. Will drop it as time goes on, if no interest. Will post the complete ad here when I put it up
CanyonAg77
AG
So first tank full, 15,8mpg, empty. At current gas prices in Canyon

8.1l gas: 40.2 cents a mile

6.6 diesel: 32.9 cents a mile.

After purchase and a new set of injectors, I'll have right around $13,000 invested. Anything I sell the gasser for above that, goes into mods for the diesel
schmendeler
AG
Decent savings on top of the performance improvement
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
If you look closely, above the hood of the gasser close to the nose, right on the horizon, that little bump is the back of your head.
CanyonAg77
AG
From the new diesel: When the previous owner either didn't know or didn't care that the pickup had a cabin air filter
ac04
buying two of the same truck is one of the most bad ass old man flexes ever.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I test drove their suburban cousin a couple weeks ago. This truck is clean, total time capsule. You should buy it
https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/pattison-2003-chevrolet-suburban-2500/7489476827.html
He posted it on ebay but i guess didn't get what he wanted there
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185468662650?hash=item2b2ecb337a:g:E-MAAOSwy7xiq9ND

Edit: seems like you got a screaming deal on that dmax
CanyonAg77
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

If you look closely, above the hood of the gasser close to the nose, right on the horizon, that little bump is the back of your head.
Took me way too long to figure this out. Yes, it's awfully flat here. Yet, just 2 miles north of this pic is the Canyon for Tierra Blanca Creek, which is about 200 feet deep. Fifteen miles downstream is Palo Duro Canyon, 800 feet deep.
CanyonAg77
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Edit: seems like you got a screaming deal on that dmax
$8500, knowing it needed injectors, about $1200 in body work, and some other upgrades.

Not a steal, but good in today's market.
CanyonAg77
AG
ac04 said:

buying two of the same truck is one of the most bad ass old man flexes ever.
Took me 6 years. Bought the 8.1 in 2016. Was planning on keeping it, and stumbled across the diesel.
Centerpole90
AG
Sometimes I wonder how these trucks get set aside and collect so few miles; then I remind myself that my own uncle has a k3500 drw of this vintage that probably has less miles than those. I had an 01 Dmax that I drove to 260 before I turned it over to the farm hands to put out of its misery.
CanyonAg77
AG
Gasser was owned by a guy who only pulled ATVs to an off road area near Caprock Canyons SP. It had 58K miles when we bought it in 2016.

Diesel was bought to pull an RV. Owner passed, and his grandson drove it a while. Sold it to me (in February) because he was commuting to a job 60 miles from home, and was "spending too much on diesel".

He'd be pooping his pants a today's diesel prices.
Complete Idiot
Yesterday I cleaned up my FIL's F-350 and got it inspected and registered, due to health issue he hasn't driven in almost a year and never will drive again at this point. It's a 2000 with the 7.3L and 95K miles on the clock. Sitting next to his '93 F-250 with the non Powerstroke 7.3, which I couldn't get running even with starter fluid. It barely has more miles than the 2000. The 93 WILL run, just need more time and someone better and getting it turned over than I am. Might be a pump issue, fuel tanks were replaced not long before it was parked - but it ran then.
YouBet
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Sometimes I wonder how these trucks get set aside and collect so few miles; then I remind myself that my own uncle has a k3500 drw of this vintage that probably has less miles than those. I had an 01 Dmax that I drove to 260 before I turned it over to the farm hands to put out of its misery.
My Dad still has his '99 Silverado with around 110k miles in the garage.

Same color as these it looks like.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Milwaukees Best Light said:

Took me way too long to figure this out. Yes, it's awfully flat here. Yet, just 2 miles north of this pic is the Canyon for Tierra Blanca Creek, which is about 200 feet deep. Fifteen miles downstream is Palo Duro Canyon, 800 feet deep.

There may not be much in the way of topography but i hear there's a pretty girl behind every tree!
CanyonAg77
AG
Finally published the Craigslist Ad. All I have to do know is sit back and wait for the crackheads and scammers.

https://amarillo.craigslist.org/cto/d/canyon-2002-gmc-sierra-2500hd/7501666009.html
Centerpole90
AG
My biggest takeaway: you got to choose your cell no.
CanyonAg77
AG
Centerpole90 said:

My biggest takeaway: you got to choose your cell no.

Got my daughter her class year, too, though it turned out (years later) to be USAFA, not A&M
txyaloo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Finally published the Craigslist Ad. All I have to do know is sit back and wait for the crackheads and scammers.

https://amarillo.craigslist.org/cto/d/canyon-2002-gmc-sierra-2500hd/7501666009.html
You might throw it up on Facebook Marketplace too. I'm always looking for certain cars and never look on Craigslist anymore. It really dried up once they started charging.
CanyonAg77
AG
I will be doing so. Just got the CL ad up late last night, didn't have the energy to add FB
Centerpole90
AG
Not to detail Canyons thread…. But I used to just live on CL as a form of entertainment, looking at stuff I was interested in. I thought it was Covid that killed it when I saw listings had all but disappeared - I had no idea CL charged.
CanyonAg77
AG
I think it's only cars that they charge for. $5 for a month. Just enough to keep down spammers. And don't worry about derail, the main purpose has already been served.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
This is so cool that you have two of the same trucks. I had to double check to make sure they were both GMC. That makes it even better.
CanyonAg77
AG
Would be cooler if I could sell the gasser.

FACEBOOK AD

TexAgs Classified
Complete Idiot
Quick, everybody send him the "Hello, is this still available?" message.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
CanyonAg77
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Quick, everybody send him the "Hello, is this still available?" message.
Username checks out!

And for those interested in fuel economy, just filled second tank on the diesel: 15.8 mpg

At least its consistent. Wife is currently using it for her work commute, letting her shake out any problems.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.