Tesla Delivery Window

2,076 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexAg2001
TexAg2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You'd think for a company that seems as smart as Tesla, they'd be able to more accurately project delivery timelines. My wife ordered a Model Y in November 2021 and was told at the time it should be delivered by April 2022. The delivery window has changed so many times since April that it's hard to keep up with it and makes you question if it will ever arrive. Here's a list of the delivery windows we've been given over the last 2.5 months, in the order they were received.

May
June
October
December
November
January '23
May
Oct 24th - Nov 15th
June 28 - July 9 (received this delivery window today)

I get that there are part availability issues and they are unpredictable, but it just seems they would have some kind of system in place to more accurately project delivery timelines. The crazy jumps of 4-5 months (pushing and pulling) are what seems really crazy to me. Perhaps all manufacturers are having similar issues predicting delivery timelines on new vehicles?
Hincemm
AG
had the same issue with my Y. ordered mid august 2021 with expected delivery by december. finally got it at the end of january. it sucks fo sho
bam02
AG
Why do you think Tesla is so much smarter than every other mega corporation that is plagued by unprecedented supply chain issues?
3AgDad81
AG
Probably on the same time table as Starlink....I ordered it over a year ago. They used to email me updates on delivery dates. Now they don't send anything. I think they gave up and kept my deposit.
TexAg2001
AG
"Smarter" was a poor word choice. I understand that all manufacturer's are having supply chain issues. It's their communication style that is frustrating, I guess.

It seems like most of the timeframe changes I hear about from other manufacturers are about delays only. Tesla shows a delay, and then pulls the date back in a few days later, and then pushes it again. The constant push and pull is what seems weird to me. I think I'd rather be disappointed in a long delivery timeline than to get your hopes up for delivery, only for it to slip again.

It's seems as if others are underpromising with the hopes of overdelivering, whereas Tesla is trying to give a play by play, but they aren't very good at it.
drumboy
AG
Coworker ordered a MY long Range around that and changed his reservation to the Performance model a couple weeks ago and got the VIN after a few days. He should take delivery in about a week.
TexAg2001
AG
That's an option, but it's also significantly higher $. The price difference between what my wife ordered and the performance model is about $12k at today's price. The performance model also has lower ground clearance, which my wife didn't want.

I'm not sure I fully believe it, but Tesla has stated that our price is locked in at the price the vehicle was when the order was placed, and that if we were to make any changes in the car configuration, the price will be adjusted to whatever it is now. Price on the configuration my wife ordered has jumped about 10% since we placed the original order.

Teslag
AG
Performance versions are definitely prioritized. We ordered a Model Y Performance on February 14. Got Vin on March 15. Took delivery on March 26.
Medaggie
Tsla sells the higher priced quicker. I hear adding FSD moves the same car up eventhough its just turning on software.

Be lucky you got in at the lowered price b/c it seems to have gone up 10K in past 6 months
Whoop Delecto
AG
TexAg2001
AG
I've heard the same thing about adding FSD, but thats a $12,000 add.

I do feel kind of lucky that we got locked in at a lower price. I checked their website this morning and the same configuration vehicle is now exactly $10k more than it was when we ordered in November.
drumboy
AG
TexAg2001 said:

That's an option, but it's also significantly higher $. The price difference between what my wife ordered and the performance model is about $12k at today's price. The performance model also has lower ground clearance, which my wife didn't want.

I'm not sure I fully believe it, but Tesla has stated that our price is locked in at the price the vehicle was when the order was placed, and that if we were to make any changes in the car configuration, the price will be adjusted to whatever it is now. Price on the configuration my wife ordered has jumped about 10% since we placed the original order.

He got the MY Performance price from when he ordered, so it was only a couple thousand more.
agracer
AG
TexAg2001 said:

My BIL ordered a Model S in July 2021. Was supposed to deliver in Oct 21, then Dec 21, then March 22. He finally got it in June 22. Several times they tried to get him to upgrade to the Plaid b/c that's all they were making but it was like $20-$30k more. I think they were hoping he'd just cancel b/c he paid a lot less for his b/c of his July 21 reservation than the current list price.

I was looking at used Model 3's back in Dec. and it seems like they are $3-$5k more now for similar miles/options.
AgGrad99
AG
I cannot hear Tesla & window, and not think of this...

TexAg2001
AG
Maybe I should have posted something about this sooner. We finally got the VIN yesterday morning and will be taking delivery of the vehicle this afternoon.

I took my trade-in (2013 Tundra) to CarMax yesterday afternoon to get another offer and was wandering around the lot while they were appraising. They had several 2021 Model Y's with between 5K - 10K miles. They were asking about $75K for them. The brand new Model Y I'm picking up this afternoon cost $57k. I'm half tempted to turn around and sell it for a profit!

I ended up selling the Tundra to a Toyota dealership. Tesla, Vroom, and GMTV were offering around $15k. Carmax offered $17k and Toyota dealership offered $19k. It is a 10 year old 2wd Tundra with 125k miles on it that I paid $30k for brand new. I feel came out pretty ahead on that deal.
Matsui
AG
Excellent!!! Share some photos
TexAg2001
AG
Sorry for the long post. TLDR: Tesla stores not being "dealerships" is kind of a PITA when it comes to temp/permanent tags and TTL. Well, at least their excuse for the PITA is because they aren't a dealership.

I've never posted pics in Texags, so not sure how to do it, but it looks like every other gray Model Y with black interior that's on the road . The way the accelerator works will take some getting used to, but we are loving everything about the vehicle so far...the driving, handling, technology, ease of charging, etc is fantastic. However, we do have a major compaint that has nothing to do with the car itself:

Tesla does not have "dealerships", which we knew, but didn't really know what that meant until we took delivery. All of the paperwork, financing, etc is completed and signed prior to arrival at the Tesla store to pick up the car. We arrived and told them we were picking up a new vehicle. The person inside said "Go out to the lot and use your app to locate your vehicle. Then, you can just get in and drive away, but if you have any questions, pop the trunk and someone will come by to help". Thought this was weird, but OK. About 20 minutes later someone finally stops by to answer some questions we had about operating the vehicle. The last question we had was about the temp tag and permanent plates, which is where the surprises came.

After waiting 7 months, delivery of the vehicle was so rushed (finally got VIN and only a few hours later had to confirm immediately we would accept the car the next day or they would sell it to someone else), they "didn't have time" to process the paperwork needed to get a temp tag. They said we should receive it via email the next day. Well, this was 4:30 on Thursday and the DMV was closed Fri/Mon for the 4th. Needless to say, we haven't received it yet. Tesla is now saying we should have it by tomorrow afternoon. So, basically, we took delivery of a vehicle 5 days ago and we still can't legally operate it. The chances of getting pulled over are probably pretty low, but, still, it's irritating.

Then the question about permanent plates. Tesla's answer was "You'll get a package from us in 2-3 weeks with instructions on how to get the plates. YOU'LL need to make an appointment with the DMV, go down there, pay the TTL, then you'll get the plates." Talk about a PITA, plus the "surprise" of needing to pay the TTL ourselves. They didn't necessarily hide this, but it also wasn't explained at any point during the process. In my previous car buying experiences, dealerships just roll TTL into the total cost of the purchase.

Overall, we love the vehicle itself, but Tesla needs to do a better job of explaining the differences between purchasing a vehicle from them versus the traditional way.
Hincemm
AG
TexAg2001 said:

Tesla's answer was "You'll get a package from us in 2-3 weeks with instructions on how to get the plates. YOU'LL need to make an appointment with the DMV, go down there, pay the TTL, then you'll get the plates." Talk about a PITA, plus the "surprise" of needing to pay the TTL ourselves. They didn't necessarily hide this, but it also wasn't explained at any point during the process. In my previous car buying experiences, dealerships just roll TTL into the total cost of the purchase.
the TTL also caught me off guard.

i doubt you'll have to go to the DMV. I think they outsource their TTL process with a company called "the title girl' or something like that. That's what came to me in the package after vehicle delivery. it was a pretty easy process.
TexAg2001
AG
I really hope we don't need to go to the DMV, but the soonest appointment was weeks out so we went ahead and made one just in case.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.