Craigslist crack heads and Facebook freaks

9,002 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mefoghorn
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just sold a derelict pickup on Facebook. Lots of interest, lots of idiots. Like the guy who drive 15 miles to see it, but didn't read the ad until he got to the pickup, and was shocked it needed a lot of work…which was laid out in detail in the ad.

Or the idiots asking for parts, when I clearly was selling it whole. Or the dope smoker who low balled me at 25% of the asking price, within an hour of posting.

Sold it at about 80% of asking, to a polite young man who seemed to understand what he was and was not getting.

Feel free to add your experiences.
CanyonAg77
AG
But I really want to ask about the ads I'm seeing daily. It will be a used pickup, clearly worth $10-$20 thousand. Photos are of beautiful, clean pickups. Wording is almost always the same. And price is ridiculously cheap, like $1000.

Click on the seller's name, and the same ad is in multiple cities. Often, the seller is a real estate company.

Obviously a scam. But to what end? The pickup doesn't exist, they clearly aren't selling it. What do they gain if you reply? It's just bizarre to me.

Any ideas?
CanyonAg77
AG
Example ad:

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 - $1000
It's a beautiful and very clean with a clean title Overall it's in very good condition and loaded in and out No issues Cash only no payments

FIRM price is: $1000
It's in absolutely beautiful condition Hardly used Ready to go and has not any kind of issues. I bet is one of best that you seen
Clear Title in hand
Runs and Drives Perfect, zero issues!

Thanks in advance!
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
My guess is at some point in discussions there will be a reason you need to send them something - info, money, etc. - that some people may fall for when dreaming of a car being purchased at 10% of the justifiable price.
Yesterday
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Example ad:

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 - $1000
It's a beautiful and very clean with a clean title Overall it's in very good condition and loaded in and out No issues Cash only no payments

FIRM price is: $1000
It's in absolutely beautiful condition Hardly used Ready to go and has not any kind of issues. I bet is one of best that you seen
Clear Title in hand
Runs and Drives Perfect, zero issues!

Thanks in advance!

You'll have desperate or ignorant people send them a down payment to hold it. Make sure and flag every one of these you see. Could help save someone money.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Make sure and flag every one of these you see. Could help save someone money.
I have some but there are tons of them.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
I'm always looking for another nice 6.0 Ford Diesel and I found one in almost as good a shape as mine. It looked pretty legit. The price was $1600, but I assumed a typo. The seller was a realtor out of PA "selling it for her daughter". After no response from anyone and multiple attempts, the daughter emails me

Hi, my name is Daniela !
Thank you for your interest in my 2005 Ford F-350 LARIAT 4X4 DRW model, never had or needed any paint/body work done, garaged, kept always, without any mechanical problems. The truck has only 124,610 miles, it is in excellent condition, no liens or loans, it has been very well maintained, with a clean title and no accident history. The engine is 6.0L 8-cylinder, automatic transmission. I am selling it at this final price of $ 1600 because my husband died 2 month ago (he had a heart attack) and it brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it asap. I also got a new job and moved, and many other things have priority now, so the truck has to go. I want to use eBay services for the safety of both of us so if you're interested in purchasing this truck, I can notify eBay that you are selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure. I am waiting for your reply.

As soon as I read that I knew it was actually a scam. Again, can't figure it out but don't really care that much.
HollywoodBQ
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Feel free to add your experiences.
Your selling experience is basically why I shipped my Grand Cherokee back from Australia.

If you really want some fun, try selling your household goods that you can't or won't ship to your new residence. I sold a $70 iron to a guy for $5. It was listed for $10 which he agreed to and then showed up and asked if I'd take $5. At that point, I just wanted it gone.

Similar stories for Printer, Computer Speakers, Television, Microwave, etc.

And it's hilarious too. People are getting a $150 microwave for $30 and they want to inspect it. And the Indian kid who bought my computer speakers and subwoofer who wanted me to give him the speakers and then Paypal me when he got home. Cash on the barrel head thanks.

I still feel kind of bad about the teenage kid who showed up with his dad to buy my Grand Cherokee for $1,500 and offered me $1,400 which I would have taken. But they decided it needed too much work. Fine by me. Thing runs like a bat outta hell on the LA Freeways and has no trouble on the trail to my mountain property in Nevada either (except for where I hit the rear diff on a big rock).

EDIT: Left out the best story - the lady who showed up to buy my outdoor table and six chairs. She was smart, she brought a tape measure and checked to see if it would fit in her apartment. Barely.

Agreed to $150 (I spent $1,000 a decade earlier) and showed up to pick it up in her Mini Cooper. Then asked if I could deliver it to her since it wouldn't fit in her Cooper (remember she already measured it). I'm still in at this point, just want it gone. Then, decided it wouldn't fit. I just left it for the next tenants when I moved out.
The Fife
That's why I stick to selling crap on the neighborhood and immediate area facebook group. Neighbors are a hell of a lot more reliable, and if something has sat around long enough it just gets donated.
CanyonAg77
AG
That description is in a lot of these ads
Silvy
AG
I've never posted anything on FB marketplace because I've seen the experiences others have had. If I care enough to sell something, it goes on Texags. Otherwise, I hang onto it, give it away, or throw it away.

However, I did buy a couple metal shelves off FB yesterday. Sum*****es are stout, over 7' tall, and only cost $50 ea.
Tumble Weed
I sold my boat on Craigslist last year. Listed it $1000 below similar boats.

2 yahoos that wanted to negotiate without seeing it. Some people are just bored. After 5 emails I shut one guy down and explained that he had champagne taste but a Budweiser budget.

A guy showed up with dollar bills and I took his family for a 10 minute ride. He bought it immediately.

Was listed for less than a week. As a buyer, CL seems to have cleaned it up with the number of fake ads by charging a small amount to list the item.

I have bought 2 boats off of CL and one outboard motor with zero issues. One phone call and you can tell who you are dealing with.
Martin Q. Blank
Offerup is better because the buyers/sellers receive feedback. On time? Friendly? Communicative?
2girlsdad
9 years ago I listed my BMW S1000RR ON Craigslist. I got what seemed to be a scammer out of Lebanon (not Texas) who sells exotic bikes. All signs pointed to a scam, but I went with it. Checked online, found his dealership, continued negotiating. We agree on a price, he wires the money to my bank, and I drop off the bike at a shipping place in downtown Houston. Odd experience but only offer I got that wasn't a low ball.
Tim Weaver
Lots of exotic or classic cars and bikes are going overseas. Big market for them there and they have proxy shippers here that do nothing but put vehicles in sea cans and ship them out.

The lowballers, resellers, meth heads, and other assorted riff raff have all but ruined online classifieds. I have been trying occasionally to offload some cheap, but decent hand tools after I inherited a bunch of Snap On stuff. Talking USA Craftsman level tools. Not expensive, but worth a few bucks and are miles better than harbor freight. The amount of absolute dumbassery I have to deal with on these ads makes me want to just toss it all in the Brazos instead of passing it on to someone who can use them.
Tim Weaver
Martin Q. Blank said:

Offerup is better because the buyers/sellers receive feedback. On time? Friendly? Communicative?
You ever used Offerup in BCS? It's nothing but toddler clothes that still has a goodwill price tag on it.
Hewey Calloway
AG
Sometimes I enjoy talking with the Facebook crackheads. Here's a conversation I had a few years back when I was trying to sell my dirt bike. He didn't end up buying it.
Yesterday
AG
Hewey Calloway said:

Sometimes I enjoy talking with the Facebook crackheads. Here's a conversation I had a few years back when I was trying to sell my dirt bike. He didn't end up buying it.

Haha. I nearly spit my drink out reading that.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Tim Weaver said:

Lots of exotic or classic cars and bikes are going overseas. Big market for them there and they have proxy shippers here that do nothing but put vehicles in sea cans and ship them out.

The lowballers, resellers, meth heads, and other assorted riff raff have all but ruined online classifieds. I have been trying occasionally to offload some cheap, but decent hand tools after I inherited a bunch of Snap On stuff. Talking USA Craftsman level tools. Not expensive, but worth a few bucks and are miles better than harbor freight. The amount of absolute dumbassery I have to deal with on these ads makes me want to just toss it all in the Brazos instead of passing it on to someone who can use them.

Bruh…we got a classified board here. Those tools would be right up someone's alley here.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
If you decide to sell any of these tools, please put them on the classifieds board. There are quite a few folks here who may be interested as well as folks like my son who is building out his toolbox.
Tim Weaver
GrimesCoAg95 said:

If you decide to sell any of these tools, please put them on the classifieds board. There are quite a few folks here who may be interested as well as folks like my son who is building out his toolbox.
Yeah I will.

I am planning another garage clean up this summer. WIll have more tools to sell at that time.

FWIW, My FIL passed away almost 5 years ago. Got the MIL moved close to us about 1.5 years ago. I'm still cleaning up the mess that has occured from these events! FIL was an aircraft mechanic and has tools for that job that I don't even know what they do, or what they are called to even find out about them.
CanyonAg77
AG
Are any of his buddies still alive? Or simply call a nearby airport and ask a mechanic to come take a look
CanyonAg77
AG
How old is the son? Old enough to need quality stuff, or jr high age needing everything?
GrimesCoAg95
AG
My son is 17 and has some tools. He is restoring an antique tractor for 4-H and recently started working as an apprentice technician at a local repair shop. He has some very nice new tools, some older good tools, and a little harbor freight. We recently found him a nice breaker bar at a garage sale.
CanyonAg77
AG
I have a few surplus tools that are probably lower quality than his needs. Would be good for a 12-13 year old kid just starting.

Between some tool collections I've bought, my dad's stuff, my stuff, and minus the stuff I've already set aside for my kids, I still have a bunch of excess stuff like Taiwan sockets. Also have a 3/4 inch drive socket set.

I plan to garage sale a bunch of surplus stuff, but I'd be happier with them going to someone who could use them.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
He doesn't have a 3/4 set at all, so that would be hugely appreciated. My email is in my profile. I have another son that is almost 12 so some of the others may be able to find a nice home too.
CanyonAg77
AG
It may be early next week, but I'll get back to the farm and see what I have for certain
Tim Weaver
Yeah we know a couple former coworkers of his. I will be talking to them when the time comes.
frankm01
Tim Weaver said:

GrimesCoAg95 said:

Yeah I will.

I am planning another garage clean up this summer. WIll have more tools to sell at that time.

FWIW, My FIL passed away almost 5 years ago. Got the MIL moved close to us about 1.5 years ago. I'm still cleaning up the mess that has occured from these events! FIL was an aircraft mechanic and has tools for that job that I don't even know what they do, or what they are called to even find out about them.

If you have any questions on aircraft maintenance tools, shoot me an email with pics and maybe l can help with description and/or value. Email is username @ flash . net.

I retired in 2020 after 40 years of commercial jet maintenance. Some of those tools (even hand tools) can be expensive and maybe some young kid just starting out can benefit.

Edit: Sorry OP for derailing the thread. Couldn't PM Tim so just replied here.
Tim Weaver
frankm01 said:

Tim Weaver said:

GrimesCoAg95 said:

Yeah I will.

If you have any questions on aircraft maintenance tools, shoot me an email with pics and maybe l can help with description and/or value. Email is username @ flash . net.

I retired in 2020 after 40 years of commercial jet maintenance. Some of those tools (even hand tools) can be expensive and maybe some young kid just starting out can benefit.

Edit: Sorry OP for derailing the thread. Couldn't PM Tim so just replied here.
Will do! I was hoping to pass them on to a newby in school.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I sold a flatbed gooseneck trailer on Facebook marketplace last week. Besides the 10,000 people asking "Is it still available?" for no apparent reason the process was pretty easy. I got way more traffic on FB marketplace than I did on Craigslist.

I got what I paid for the trailer 8 years ago. Pretty crazy.
Yesterday
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I sold a flatbed gooseneck trailer on Facebook marketplace last week. Besides the 10,000 people asking "Is it still available?" for no apparent reason the process was pretty easy. I got way more traffic on FB marketplace than I did on Craigslist.

I got what I paid for the trailer 8 years ago. Pretty crazy.

I'll never understand the "is this still a available" question with no other response. Drives me nuts.
CanyonAg77
AG
The reason everyone asks "Is this still available", is because Facebook is set up that way. Look at the ads, they all have a button you can click, that says "is this still available". It's a combination of laziness from the other users, and a stupid button Facebook puts on every ad

vansprinkle
AG
I sold a couple racing karts a month or so back. Guy found the post on FB marketplace almost immediately after I posted them. He says he's been looking for a while and hadn't seen anything for kids so saw my ad and jumped on the deal. He drove an hour to see them the next afternoon and showed up with half of the cash expecting that I would sell both for the price of one.

I ended up cutting him a deal on some of the extra supplies I had but made him come up with the extra money before he took both karts. I guess he's used to buying stuff off Facebook, showing up with half the money, and having sellers just roll over.
CanyonAg77
AG
Check your spam folder, I sent an email yesterday. It may be blocked because I attached photos.

It's my user name at hotmail.com
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.