Massey Ferguson tractor restoration

1,067 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CanyonAg77
AgCWby90CS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recommendations for Massey Ferguson tractor restoration in central Texas. A friend has two he'd like to get restored. Paul's Paint and Body in Seguin has been recommended for the body work but he needs work done on the motors etc.
CWby '90
AgBQ-00
AG
Where in central Texas?
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Well, the first MF rolled out in 1957 and shares most of the exact same parts as the Fergusons before, so we are talking about a lot of machines from them to current production. What is he wanting restored?

I would start with your local Facebook page. Try joining

South Texas Used Farm and Ranch Equipment

AND/OR

SOUTH TEXAS FARM & RANCH BUY,SELL,TRADE EQUIPMENT

Ask on there for recommendations near where you are. There are dozens of people that do exactly this for fun. There is some 75 year old man named Bob or Fred and he worked on these when they were new. If you go to Massey Ferguson, you will go broke.

Now, for the unsolicited advice....I have personally worked my tractors … Farmalls, Ford, McCormick, International, Ferguson, Massey Ferguson, and probably a few other brands that aren't all that common. This is going to be a ridiculously expensive undertaking if he is not going to do any of the work himself. These old machines are like onions as you get into them. So....start simple. Replace only that which NEEDS it.

He just needs someone that works on tractors and has the equipment to split a tractor and remove a motor if needed.

Good luck. There are a lot of places online to get parts and just about all are readily available.

AgCWby90CS
AG
New Braunfels
CWby '90
AgBQ-00
AG
A little far away probably. I have a cousin that owns the MF house in DeLeon. I know there are folks in that are that do old tractor restos and was thinking he might have some leads for you.
AgCWby90CS
AG
Was going off memory trying to help a friend when I posted this. Had the wrong type.

He has 2 Allis-Chalmers tractors. He believes both are WD...they are identical. The wheels are together in the front. They look like this (minus the paint and add some rust)

CWby '90
CanyonAg77
AG
I can dive deep in it if anyone has questions, but a few observations:

The tractors are pretty simple. Almost anyone with basic car knowledge can make them run.

Most people really don't want a resoration. If you're taking it to the field, work on the internals, and forget the paint. If you are putting it in a collection and only driving it in parades, do the minimum to the internals. Just make it dependable and pretty. Who cares if the transmission leaks, the hydraulics don't work, and the engine burns almost as much oil as gas?

You'll almost never recover the cost of a resoration, do one only if you have excess cash, it's a rare model, or it's a family heirloom. If the latter, maybe you want to leave the dents that grandpa put in it.

Facebook can be a great resource, but look for national brand specific groups, not just local. I can almost certainly guarantee that there are Ferguson tractor Facebook groups.
CanyonAg77
AG
BTW, due to my inheritance and own purchases, I have a 1937 Deere unstyled L, one of only 1400 made.

Also own three Gibson tractors. A restored Super D2, an unknown model, probably a D that was heavily modified, and a D that I just got that is complete, but not currently running
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.