Getting into washing/detailing my own cars - need advice on products

2,042 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by WP69
jakester03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Decided I want to start washing/detailing my own vehicles. So far I already own:

• shop vac
  • buckets with plastic insert dirt guard things
  • Meguirs gold class wash
  • wash mitts
  • a ton of microfiber towels from costco
  • 303 protectant
  • zaino leather cleaner and conditioner (but they are old)

I know I need to pickup and looking for recs on:
  • pressure washer
  • foam cannon
  • wax/polish/protectant (i get lost with all of the options here)
  • engine degreaser / cleaner
  • interior cleaner

I've started watching the autogeeks youtube videos, but man there is a ton of info and products out there... If I were to make a walmart run this weekend for products what should I pickup?
Post removed:
by user
Stat Monitor Repairman
Check out Chemical Guys and there is a bunch of instructional videos on Adams Polishes website.
chimpanzee
Anything half decent will work pretty well and it's up to your attention to detail to make the difference. You can geek as far out as you like, of course, no harm in that. It's a satisfying thing to do something with immediate gratification, but going to extremes gets you a tiny little bit of noticeable difference for a whole lot of effort and cost.

I will say, using a spray foamer hose end thing instead of a bucket is pretty cool.

FIDO*98*
AG
Use ONR and 4-6 clean microfiber towels. It saves a ton of time and the results are outstanding.
Duncan Idaho
FIDO*98* said:

Use ONR and 4-6 clean microfiber towels. It saves a ton of time and the results are outstanding.

Works great for maintenance. Especially for a garage kept car.
wargograw
Make sure you watch Darren Priest. Cuts through a lot of the industry BS.
Tumble Weed
I prefer Mother's liquid carnauba wax for a deeper shine.

It doesn't last as long and you will have to apply every 2 to 3 months.

Sometimes I use a small orbital buffer to apply, depending on the car. Use cotton to buff off.

Put rainx on my windshield.

Meguires makes a good plastic product for headlights called plastx.
Duncan Idaho
"Pan the organizer" on YouTube has some good videos. But he is a Canadian, so there's that.
EMY92
AG
Tumble Weed, use a ceramic coating on your windshield and you'll hate RainX.

Ceramic should last about 2 years on a windshield and is better than RainX. It's much better when you only have to apply it every other year.
Tumble Weed
I have been considering the ceramic for the windows after the rave reviews on texags. Any recs for BCS?
Tcutters24
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Great recommendation. Tried it for the first time after reading this today and it worked like a charm. Great product.
EMY92
AG
No recommendations, I did it myself.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
F150 guys, what do y'all use on the black plastic moldings (like the cowling) that oxidize and turn white in the sun?
JamesPShelley
Maximus_Meridius said:

F150 guys, what do y'all use on the black plastic moldings (like the cowling) that oxidize and turn white in the sun?
986 guy... using Mother's Back to Black.

Can be used on any color vinyl. Been using it forever.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Maximus_Meridius said:

Heat gun.

Check vdeos on youtube about this.
EMY92
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

Ceramic coated that as well.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Cerakote or the same stuff you use on the rest of the car?
EMY92
AG
I used the same coating on the paint, glass, and plastic.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Been washing cars for 40+ years. This is the best method I've found.

Wash: Purple Power Vehicle and Boat Wash (Walmart $8-9). It has a higher (above 7) pH and WILL remove older or weak wax on paint but it will also remove road film. "pH" neutral soap, whatever that means, typically will not remove all road film so your car won't get completely clean.

Mitt: Chemical Guys green Chenille wash mitts. Get 4 or 5 of them and use one per section of the car so you don't have to use a bucket of water or the so-called "two bucket method," which doesn't work as well, nor is as safe, as some think.

Towel: lots of options here from cheap Costco yellow microfiber towels (something like $18 for 36) to higher quality Rag Company. The costco ones are safe to use on paint for drying and sealant removal.

Chemical Decontamination: there are again many options here. Everything from Iron X to an acid based wheel cleaner (keep that off the windows). I use Eagle One Triple Cleaning Foam (I think its the Plasti Dip version; I'll check). You can skip this and do a clay bar if you like.

Sealant: Carnuba is (mostly) old school. Some still like it and that's fine, but I think the sealant products have caught up in shine and long ago surpassed in longevity. I personally don't see the need to go ceramic, but again, if you want to invest in that, go for it. For me, Meguiars Fast Finish is all I need or want. It lays down a very good sealant in almost no time (my car takes about 10-12 minutes to cover) and the sealant lasts a long time. How long? Depends on whether you garage your car and/or let it sit during the day and how much weather it is exposed to. Harsh conditions, 3 months; Garage all day with only elements is sees is while driving, you'll get 10 months. (Yes, I'm serious). It might take a few applications of that but you will see good time from this product.

The thing with the PPVBW soap is I don't mind degrading the sealant since its so easy to apply it after the wash. Plus, the car is much cleaner.

Inexpensive pressure washer with a foam cannon is the best way to apply soap. It doesn't have to be shaving cream thick, but it needs to stick to the paint reasonably well. Absent that, Adams makes a rebranded hand pump sprayer that works OK. I strongly discourage anyone from applying soap to their car from soap/water in a bucket UNLESS they are using a FRESH (unused) mitt or towel every time and they do not put a used mitt back into the clean bucket. Regardless of how you "agitate" the dirt on the car, always use a clean mitt on each area or panel.
Terk
AG
The dreadnought towel (for drying) is the king. Yes, it's stupid expensive, but its worth it. The knock offs are pretty good as well. Combine this with a ceramic coating and regular washing is a breeze!

WP69
AG
Watch the videos and how to on autogeek.com. Very informative and honest. Many (almost all?) of the players on youtube are pushing their product or get paid for their endorsement and review.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.