Toyota Connections Outside of GST?

1,330 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by txags92
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am in the market for a new 2022 4Runner, and one of the options we are looking for (KDSS suspension on an Off-Road Premium) seems to be unavailable for the foreseeable future via GST dealerships. I am working with Aggiepaintrain's guy, and it is uncertain whether or when they might be able to put in an order for one. So I am starting to look at the possibility of buying one from a dealer outside of the GST territory, since there do seem to be some available through non-GST dealerships. So I just thought I would check to see if anybody has any info or contacts through dealerships outside of GST, but within relatively easy driving distance (something like New Mexico or Colorado, not Washington or Maryland) is what I am looking for. TIA for any help.
Redstone
AG
I bought my 4Runner in San Antonio (Limited).
txags92
AG
Unfortunately from what I can find, none of the dealers in Gulf States territory have any 4runners allocated with the KDSS suspension. And according to APT's guy, they are not able to order them until at least Nov. or Dec...maybe. So none of the dealers in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, or Mississippi will have one.
Pahdz
Minnesota too far?
txags92
AG
Pahdz said:

Minnesota too far?
Trying to keep it to somewhere we can fly in on Friday night and drive home in less than two full days. Not really up for driving 15-20 hours in a day like I used to be.
Pahdz
If you change your mind I have someone here
txags92
AG
Pahdz said:

If you change your mind I have someone here
Thanks! I hope I don't get that desperate...but I will let you know if it comes to that.
JSKolache
AG
Always thought it was a weird Toyota business practice that you cant order what you want. You can choose among a few offerings nearby, but no true custom orders.
txags92
AG
JSKolache said:

Always thought it was a weird Toyota business practice that you cant order what you want. You can choose among a few offerings nearby, but no true custom orders.
You can actually do a true special order, but my understanding is that they are not fulfilled until after all of the allocated builds are completed, if they have space and time at the end of the model year. In this case, due to the chip shortage, they have already announced they are going to be building fewer vehicles this model year and I have my doubts about whether there will be any chips left over after the allocated builds to do any special order builds.
91AggieLawyer
AG
txags92 said:

Pahdz said:

Minnesota too far?
Trying to keep it to somewhere we can fly in on Friday night and drive home in less than two full days. Not really up for driving 15-20 hours in a day like I used to be.

I don't know where in Texas you are, but it appears you don't realize that drive time/distance from, say Denver or Minneapolis to, say, Houston, isn't more than 2-3 hours difference. Even Santa Fe isn't that much less time.

With that said, I've driven Denver to Dallas (multiple routes) and Santa Fe to Dallas but never up North to Texas so I don't know what kind of drive it would be other than boring. But Kansas and eastern Colorado was a whole lot of nothing for what seemed like a long time.
txags92
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

txags92 said:

Pahdz said:

Minnesota too far?

I don't know where in Texas you are, but it appears you don't realize that drive time/distance from, say Denver or Minneapolis to, say, Houston, isn't more than 2-3 hours difference. Even Santa Fe isn't that much less time.

With that said, I've driven Denver to Dallas (multiple routes) and Santa Fe to Dallas but never up North to Texas so I don't know what kind of drive it would be other than boring. But Kansas and eastern Colorado was a whole lot of nothing for what seemed like a long time.
I am in Houston, and yeah, I know it isn't that much further, but I am a much bigger fan of Colorado and New Mexico scenery than I am the upper Midwest. Kansas would be ok too, and closer than any of them most likely.
reproag
AG
txags92 said:

Pahdz said:

Minnesota too far?
Might want to check with Pahdz's guy to see if the KDSS is a GST or Toyota delay.
txags92
AG
There seem to be plenty of kdss models in stock or on the way at dealers outside of the gst territory. The inability to order may be GST or nationwide, but the lack of currently allocated kdss models seems to only be a GST thing. I ran into the same issue with getting a double cab long bed Tacoma back in 2015-2016. GST had none in their allocation system wide and the only way to get one was to order one after the allocated models were all built. But they were available at other dealers outside of GST. The only reason I am hesitant to wait and order one is that I am concerned that chip shortages and already announced production cuts may make it impossible. I am mainly hoping to find a dealer outside of GST that is going to work a fair price and not try to add a "market adjustment" on top of MSRP.
ktownag08
AG
KDSS isn't available in GST region. Went through the same thing about 5 years ago when I got my ORP.

Only option is to order or travel outside GST. In the end, I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and got my ORP then did a suspension upgrade. I'm happy with the results for my use.

Best of luck!
txags92
AG
ktownag08 said:

KDSS isn't available in GST region. Went through the same thing about 5 years ago when I got my ORP.

Only option is to order or travel outside GST. In the end, I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and got my ORP then did a suspension upgrade. I'm happy with the results for my use.

Best of luck!
Thanks for confirming. Looks like we will be buying one from Mountain States Toyota in Denver. Won't be here until late October or early November.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.