Ford Expedition backup camera screen black

1,069 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CapeAggie89
CapeAggie89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All knowing Automotive board,

I have a 2012 Ford Expedition King Ranch that the backup screen has gone wonky. It has gone black with squiggly lines. Picture below does not show much. No error messages or codes. I have read online that it might be a corroded connector or a bad ground. Has anyone else run into this ?
Martin Q. Blank
Is there a fuse for the camera itself?
CapeAggie89
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Is there a fuse for the camera itself?
Don't think it is a fuse, took the back lift gate panel off looking for corrosion but everything was bone dry and no evidence of any moisture ever getting in the space. Jiggled the connector and when I went to back it into the garage the camera worked so I don't think it is a fuse. I am concerned this will happen again so thinking a possible short somewhere

Thanks for the idea
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Likely a bad camera. 10 years of car washes and summers is hard on electronics.
CapeAggie89
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Likely a bad camera. 10 years of car washes and summers is hard on electronics.
Thanks 1ags, have ordered a new camera
dead zip 01
AG
I fought a year long battle with the back up camera on our expedition. I replaced it twice and it would work for a week or so before it started messing up again.
If you would slam the hatch or bang on the camera it would clear up momentarily but always go back to being distorted.

After hours or research online I found someone with a similar problem and they found out that the problem was a poor connection where the camera plugs into the wiring harness because of dust building up inside the connector.

I blew out both ends of the connection really well with my air compressor and puts lots of dielectric grease in the connection to keep dust out and it has been working perfectly ever since.
CapeAggie89
AG
dead zip 01 said:

I fought a year long battle with the back up camera on our expedition. I replaced it twice and it would work for a week or so before it started messing up again.
If you would slam the hatch or bang on the camera it would clear up momentarily but always go back to being distorted.

After hours or research online I found someone with a similar problem and they found out that the problem was a poor connection where the camera plugs into the wiring harness because of dust building up inside the connector.

I blew out both ends of the connection really well with my air compressor and puts lots of dielectric grease in the connection to keep dust out and it has been working perfectly ever since.
Thanks, when I install the new camera I will clean it out and put dielectric grease in it.
highlonesomeaggie
AG
Following this. Our 2015 expedition camera will do this too. It typically happens after driving on rough roads. Sometimes it comes back fairly quickly but this last time it took a while. I'm figuring it's not too long for this world.
atxaggie07
AG
Also following. My 2018 F-150 goes between a blue screen and black screen...but I can still see the guide lines. Thanks y'all!
tandy miller
AG
Is something covering the camera?
FJB
CapeAggie89
AG
tandy miller said:

Is something covering the camera?
No, cleaned the lens. Since I jiggled the connector it is working. I have a replacement camera and plan to install it, clean the connector and use dielectric grease. Will report back.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.