Houston recommendation for stripes/paint shop

1,004 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamuags08
tamuags08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wanting to put stripes on the mustang GT I bought recently. Shadow black and debating white stripes or maroon stripes.
the pit man
Don't know about Houston, but I know a guy here in College Station that does old faction hand stripping. He's awesome. Had him do several things for me. You can find him on Facebook search Jeff Islam or contact me.
HumpitPuryear
AG
Vinyl is a good option. I had Big Worm Graphics cut mine and then I installed them myself. Here's a good look at maroon on black too. This is 3M vinyl, I think the color is Black Rose Metallic. I've had it on about a year. I'm not completely satisfied with the look. You can't even see the rocker panel stripes. Thinking about going grabber blue or white. It was a good experiment and only cost me <$400 and a weekend in the garage.

tamuags08
AG
Beautiful car! Definitely agree the stripes don't quite pop like you said.

Do you think it's partially because it's a darker matte color?
HumpitPuryear
AG
Thanks

It's not matte. It's a gloss finish over a metallic vinyl. It seems to have a "grain" or catches light best from one direction. If the sun hits it right it pops. If the sun is not on it from that direction its hardly noticeable. It has a ghost stripe effect which is kinda cool but the rocker stripes don't ever get the light from the right perspective so they don't show up much at all. This is one advantage of the vinyl - you can peel it off and try something else.
aftershock
HumpitPuryear said:

Vinyl is a good option. I had Big Worm Graphics cut mine and then I installed them myself. Here's a good look at maroon on black too. This is 3M vinyl, I think the color is Black Rose Metallic. I've had it on about a year. I'm not completely satisfied with the look. You can't even see the rocker panel stripes. Thinking about going grabber blue or white. It was a good experiment and only cost me <$400 and a weekend in the garage.

Pics look sweet. I like the subtleness of those stripes. Also, hats off to installing that yourself. I'm sure it's not rocket science, but there's almost a 100% chance I would find a way mess that up.
HumpitPuryear
AG
Thanks. Yeah it's not rocket science. YouTube. Patience. Lots of patience. And plan and measure twice (3,4 5 times) and cut once. Modern good quality vinyl is pretty amazing stuff too. I've got some minor imperfections that no one else would notice. If I do it again it will probably take half the time now that I've done it once.
tamuags08
AG
Finished product. Ended up using Underground Graphics in Houston. Good folks that did a nice job.

Went with white stripes with a maroon pinstripe on the outside of the white stripes. It's subtle but it's there.

'

Towns03
AG
Is that a sticker or paint?

tamuags08
AG
It's vinyl
HumpitPuryear
AG
Looks good. The maroon pinstripe is a good idea.
Aggietaco
AG
Good thing they are better at centering stickers than you are.
tamuags08
AG
Aggietaco said:

Good thing they are better at centering stickers than you are.
yea…I already put in an order for a new sticker from AFS
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.