GMC with 6.2 or Ford with 3.5ecoboost

2,249 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Strongwind86
drred4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking at getting a new truck in the not so distant future. Let me start by saying I have had a 3.5 ecoboost and currently have a 2016 F150 with 5.0. The ecoboost to me pulled much better and did not hunt for gears even in normal driving in hilly areas without load.

Was hoping maybe someone has had both the F150 in 3.5 ecoboost and have also had the GMC/Chevy 6.2gas
that can give me some feedback.

Thanks
3rd Platoon
AG
The Boost's torque is excellent, but nothing beats the powerful sound and feeling of a naturally aspirated 6.2!!!
AggieMPH2005
Can't speak to the engine but I don't believe GM offers a 36 gallon tank like Ford which is a huge convenience factor for me. That alone would push me to the Ford. (Full disclaimer current ecoboost owner)
Teslag
AG
A GMC with the 3.0 diesel if you can find one. There will be more coming at the first of the year.
agnerd
AG
I'd much rather have the 6.2. Problem is the rest of the chevy it's attached to. Definitely wait for the new gm design if you can because the current gm trucks are the worst of the big 3, even though I think they have the best engine.
Teslag
AG
The GMC AT4 is the best looking truck on the road
tamuags08
AG
Salute The Marines said:

On the outside, yes. The current gen interior leaves a little bit to the imagination compared to the competition.
Bob Lee
AG
I had a 2012 Z71 with a 6.2. waaaay back when you could still get that engine in an LT. Got it for $39k brand new. It was a great truck. I mean great! Lots of ranch driving over pigs ruts, rough terrain, brazos river mud, sand bar, and you name it. Plus a 70 mile daily commute. All I ever did was follow the maintenance schedule. Ran like a top the day I sold it.

Eta: the only thing I pulled with it was a single axle trailer and mule, and it pulled it easily. Current Ford owner fwiw, but not a 3.5 so I can't help to compare them.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I have a 2014 boost and tow frequently with it. It pulls better than any half ton on the market, in my opinion. I can set the cruise on 80 with a dual axle trailer and a ranger and gear on it and it just goes. I don't think I'll ever get another motor in a Ford.

I do like the 6.2s because what guy doesn't like a big V8? However , the few dudes I know with them have had some weird issues with them. Mostly minor but everyone of them has had a loaner vehicle at least once.
drummer0415
AG
I currently have a 2017 3.5 boost with 125k miles. It has been in the dealer 3 times for new cam phasers/timing chains. I have a friend that had like a 2018 or 2019 Chevy with the 6.2. At 30k miles It had a lifter fail (thanks AFM/DOD) and wipe a lobe off the camshaft. They ended up putting a whole new motor in and then he traded it in.

Point is, when they work, they're both great motors, but I'm not super confident in either one from a reliability/longevity standpoint, and my next truck likely won't be either one.

Oh and the boost will tow better due to the low end torque from the turbos.
MouthBQ98
AG
Meh. I've got nearly 200K on the 3.5 I own and the only thing bad on it is the cats. I stuck on an oil catch and cats aren't an inspection item in my county (have to be there, don't have to be actually working), so I can't complain.
HumbleAg04
AG
Enjoy your cam phaser issues with the 3.5.
tamuags08
AG
HumbleAg04 said:

Is that the stupid rattle I hear when I cold start my '13?
HumbleAg04
AG
tamuags08 said:

HumbleAg04 said:

Correct.
Madman
AG
Salute The Marines said:

Exterior A+
Interior C-
Furlock Bones
AG
if only GM would get rid of the crappy govlock or at least offer a proper locker in the AT4 trim. But, this is the same company that brought the Blazer name back on a minivan.
drred4
Why would Ford still have cam phaser issues this long in the production of the 3.5. The redesign of the 3.5 has been severals years back now.

Thanks for the input everyone. I would think about the 5.0 as well but hear the new 5.0 has the new cylinder drop for fuel efficiency as well.

SquanchyAg
Madman said:

Salute The Marines said:

Exterior A+
Interior C-

Those brown accents on the black leather seats of the AT4 are hideous.
Madman
AG
SquanchyAg said:

Madman said:

Salute The Marines said:

Exterior A+
Interior C-

Those brown accents on the black leather seats of the AT4 are hideous.
The buttons and knobs have the look of Fisher Price toys.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
HumbleAg04 said:

tamuags08 said:

HumbleAg04 said:

Correct.
It's annoying
Silvy
AG
Bruh a Truetrac is like $650
Furlock Bones
AG
silverado_lover said:

Bruh a Truetrac is like $650

Just say no to LSD.
Strongwind86
AG
Did your previous 3.5 boost or 2016 5.0 have the 10 speed transmission?

My 2016 5.0 has a 6 speed. The later year model F150's with the 10 speed drive alot different. You should probably drive either the boost or 5.0 with the 10 speed transmission.
Silvy
AG
No way
https://instagr.am/p/BqbAG5LBMLA
Furlock Bones
AG
I knew you'd post some race truck.
drred4
Strongwind86 said:

Did your previous 3.5 boost or 2016 5.0 have the 10 speed transmission?

My 2016 5.0 has a 6 speed. The later year model F150's with the 10 speed drive alot different. You should probably drive either the boost or 5.0 with the 10 speed transmission.
nope both were or are 6 speed. May have to do that.
mneisch
AG
Which transmission is generally considered better? Wife's expedition has the 3.5 with 10 speed and I have no complaints. Looking at an older Lariat with the 6 speed.
Strongwind86
AG
mneisch said:

Which transmission is generally considered better? Wife's expedition has the 3.5 with 10 speed and I have no complaints. Looking at an older Lariat with the 6 speed.

Not sure one is "better" than the other. Believe they started installing the 10 speed in late 2017/2018.

Seems the acceleration is smoother with the 10 speed in the truck I drove similar to mine (2016 with the 6 speed). Engine RPM seemed to stay in the sweet spot when accelerating.

You've got the 10 speed in the Expy - Imagine it's pretty smooth.

My 2016 w the 6 speed has 85,000 miles - Serviced the fluid at 60,000 miles. No issues or concerns
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.