1981 C-10 potential purchase

2,128 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
AgED
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My daughter has decided she wants a vintage truck. We have found a 1981 C-10 with 37,500 miles on the 305 engine. A/C and automatic. We've never bought from a private individual so looking for advice to make sure we don't get scammed or overpay. Any suggestions? Thanks.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I had an '82 Sierra with that 305 in high school. It's a true dog. Terrible power, terrible mileage. That's the scam.
agdaddy04
AG
Think it really has 37,500 miles on it? Or 337,500?
AgED
AG
Not sure. Planning on taking a local mechanic with me to take a look. It does look fully refurbished on the exterior.
sts7049
AG
what are they asking?
Schall 02
AG
That's 40 year old motor. I wouldn't trust it for my child regardless of mileage.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
How old is your daughter? Is she a new driver? I couldn't, in good self-conscience, let my kid drive something with so few safety features when compared to newer cars. Not that this is a thread asking for parenting advice. I apologize if I come across as overstepping.

On the other hand, if she's a grown woman, she can make her own choice, and I hope she enjoys her classic vehicle purchase.
rilloaggie
AG
I've got a line on a red '89 with some serious character. Could probably get you a good deal…
Silvy
AG
If she can't work on it herself, it'll be an expensive endeavor. A 40 year old truck with 40,000 miles will have as many issues as a 40 year old truck with 400,000 miles.
HollywoodBQ
AG
As a project, it could be fun.
As a daily driver, it would be a real hassle.
If she wants something old, I'd try for at least a 1994 or newer so she can have airbags, anti-lock brakes and R134a refrigerant.
Also,if she wants to make sure none of her friends can drive it, manual transmission is the way to go.
winmck
S
That 80's 305 was garbage. Put a 350 in it.
Yesterday
AG
Aside from all of the unsolicited advice it sounds like you're on the right track. Take the mechanic with you to look it over. Research similar trucks all over the country because there probably won't be too many local ones. Ultimately you'll be able to narrow a price but in the end it will come down to if you/daughter love the truck.

AgED
AG
Thanks everyone for the advice. Really appreciate it.
f2foxes2001
AG
EFI conversion.
Old Sarge
AG
80's 305s ended up as mosquito foggers right about 75-85k miles. Had an 83' GMC Sierra Classic. Loaded and had the new to the world overdrive transmission. Put a 350 in it, and it was too much for that trashmission and had to rebuild it. The 350 was a new crate GM motor. After the trashmission rebuild, it started leaking oil out of just about everywhere to some degree. It too was garbage. Of course all this happened in early 90 AFTER I left it at a buddy's body shop and he stripped it down to the bare body and repainted it to better than showroom quality and new factory striping. Stripped the bed down to metal kind of detail. Not a scratch or ding anywhere. Beautiful mosquito fogger when it happened. That truck was a black cloud that followed me until the day I got rid of it a couple years later. Damn that truck.
Tumble Weed
Sounds like your kid has great taste!

Glad that you are looking at an old square body. They are my favorite line of Chevys.

What the texags experts are not telling you is that when it breaks it will be cheap to fix and every body has parts and every body can work on them.

I was stopped 4 times yesterday on my lunch break with people wanting to ask me about my truck. I have owned a bunch of trucks over the years, and this one is my favorite.

It is reliable enough that I would drive it across the United States. It get 11 mpg, so it would cost me a pretty penny to do so.

Make sure that the brakes are sound, and budget for small nagging electrical issues.
elfurioso92
AG
Had an '84 with that engine. Amazing that it could develop so little power given the prodigious fuel consumption. At just over 100,000 miles mine developed an ever increasing transmission fluid leak so I traded it in on a new one. Love that body style though. Good luck.
Silvy
AG
Just because newer vehicles require more than a Phillips head screwdriver, 1/4"-9/16" sockets, and a ball peen hammer doesn't mean they're harder to work on.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Tumble Weed said:

I was stopped 4 times yesterday on my lunch break with people wanting to ask me about my truck. I have owned a bunch of trucks over the years, and this one is my favorite.
My neighbor across the street parks his 67 Chevy stepside in front of my house all the time. A couple weeks ago somebody stopped by asking if I wanted to sell it, or if I knew who owned it.

I told my neighbor and he said that he gets unsolicited offers for his truck all the time. He said he's been offered $10,000 cash for his truck in the parking lot at our grocery store.
Tumble Weed said:

It is reliable enough that I would drive it across the United States. It get 11 mpg, so it would cost me a pretty penny to do so.
In 2020, my daughter and I drove my 1999 4x4 Expedition from Lexington, VA to Los Angeles via the U.P. of Northern Michigan. I think it was about 3,000 miles. That Expy with the 5.4L V8 gets 13 mpg no matter what you do to it.

Anyway, the only problems we had were a flat tire before we left Virginia and a tire blowout just as we arrived in Salt Lake City. Luckily we were in SLC when we had the blowout so we were able to get 4 new tires and get back on the road within two hours. And only had to dodge one Black Lives Matter march near the Mormon Temple.

Nothing wrong with old vehicles, you just gotta be ready to do some maintenance - regularly.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.