Hey 1ags ----2000 f150 intake coolant leak

1,202 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by UmustBKidding
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like the intake manifold on my 2000 f150 5.4 is leaking coolant at the aluminum crossover near the heater bypass hose.

Anything I need to be aware of to fix this?
Any preference on a replacement part?
Anything else I should do that falls in the "since you are in there" category?
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Plastic intake. It's cracked. 1ags will have more insight but from what I recall having done the job…

Replace the intake with an OEM, replace your gaskets. At the time I did mine, the only alternative to OEM was a Dorman and it's not made exactly the same. Get the intake from Tasca or White Bear Lake Autonation and it'll cost less than aftermarket anyway . I don't recall anything unusually difficult about the install aside from keep clean, don't drop **** in the motor, etc etc. Seems like I removed and replaced the o rings on my injectors and considered having them professionally cleaned but opted against that. There are two heater hoses going into the firewall that have quick disconnect fittings on them. These will leak eventually as well and they were a ***** to do in place. Might be easier to do with the intake out so inspect those for any remote signs of leakage and replace as needed.

My 5.4 has nearly 400,000 miles and havnt had issues with either of these two parts since I did them.

The only other thing you can do "while your there" is get into chains and tensioners in the front. Just depends on how much fun you can handle.
Duncan Idaho
Thanks. I've only got 140k on the clock so I will probably hold off on the chains.
Duncan Idaho
3 more questions:
Does the oem intake come with gaskets?

On my dodge the intake bolts are TTY bolts and have to be replaced every time you pull them. Is that the case for these bolts?

Aside from the injector o-rings and the thermostat gasket. Any other consumables/replacement parts I need to have on hand?
Shelton98
AG
I replaced mine with a Dorman intake and never had a problem. Pretty sure it came with the bolts and gaskets.
txyaloo
AG
Now's your opportunity to throw a Lightning blower and IC on there,
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Dorman is lifetime warranty. But motorcraft is better quality. Throw a new thermostat in it at the same time. Sorry I been scarce. We won a contract with FedEx to upfit 77000 trucks with safety equipment and I've been slammed.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Duncan Idaho said:

3 more questions:
Does the oem intake come with gaskets?

On my dodge the intake bolts are TTY bolts and have to be replaced every time you pull them. Is that the case for these bolts?

Aside from the injector o-rings and the thermostat gasket. Any other consumables/replacement parts I need to have on hand?

Here's my order list, I wouldn't have bought this stuff if it came together I don't think. But you may want to wait for 1ags or call the parts dept to verify. These numbers may have also changed since I did it. This order is from 2015.

I ordered valve cover gaskets because mine were seeping. You don't necessarily need them and they are designed to be reused I don't even think you need to remove the valve covers. This is for a 2002 F150 5.4L

Not sure about TTY bolts on the intake. I don't think they are. They aren't that big and I torqued them down to spec per the Ford service manual. That may be a 1ags question. I know I didn't replace them and I haven't had issues.

UmustBKidding
Have not had to replace on my newer 5.4 f150s but i believe the heater hoses are a similar configuration as my 4.6 crown vic. The heater return routes under the intake and the fitting that snaps on the water pump is a problem child. I would replace all that when intake is removed. On cv the only hard part was removing the added safety bolt they added to back of engine. To secure the fuel rail. During crashes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.