motorcycle thread

4,603 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Daingerfield, Texas
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The itch to get back on a motorcycle is pretty strong right now. Liking the looks of the new Indian Chiefs and Super Chiefs. Anyone had any seat time on one?

For context my last bike was a Honda VTX1300.
PMD03
AG
They look good overall. I just want the bobbed fender look to be over.

If you find a good dealer, post up. I'll be in the market soon.
AgBQ-00
AG
The other thing I am considering is getting a Chief Vintage and stripping it down to a solo seat with no bags. Love the lines on the traditional Indian fenders but don't want the fringe bags etc
Beckett12
AG
while different than the Indian, I was close to picking up a BMW nine T r a month or so ago. It was just to run around locally -- park, restaurants, etc. Held back, but still thinking. Anyone know about these bikes?

For context, last bike was KTM 450 EXC. I have ridden Harleys, but not thinking that direction.
AgBQ-00
AG
Have friend that has a BMW for a commuter bike. He loves it. Not sure what model it is though.
tandy miller
AG
I saw a guy on a crotch rocket fall off on 45 trying to switch 4 lanes and exit. I bet he rolled 100 yards down the exit ramp. **** from bike everywhere. He got up so I guess he was ok (had helmet, jacket, and pants)

I can't think of a scenario in which I'd ride a motorcycle

Moped is more my speed
FJB
AgBQ-00
AG
Riding a motorcycle made me a hell of a lot more considerate and conscientious driver. It really is a matter of realizing that you and only you are responsible for your safety going from place to place. And you get really good at spotting trouble from a long way off.
Beckett12
AG
thats kind of the reason i was looking at the pure 9. not an aggressive bike but still with the power. moped on steriods... I think i live in a close hood to Tandy, so if i rode it i would not necessarily need to hit a freeway. washington, heights and memorial type rides, but i know it will get extended overtime.
Beckett12
AG
i bought a R1 about a year ago. did not take it off the lot, slept on it, realized my life span was about to get reduced by many years, called dealer, never took delivery and got my money back. tricked out my jeep with the money instead, but still have an interest in a two wheel.
NRH ag 10
AG
If you've never ridden before, that was an incredibly stupid decision followed by an incredibly wise decision.
maverick2076
I left the cruiser world a little over 3 years ago and bought a Yamaha Super Tenere. Best riding decision I ever made. More comfortable for long miles than my Street Glide, infinitely more reliable than either of my HD's were, and it can take me places none of my other bikes could.
Goat Man
AG
Nothing compares to riding. Best hobby there is bar none. Too bad it is so damn dangerous.
Frisco
AG
But hot damn are they fun!
NRH ag 10
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Riding a motorcycle made me a hell of a lot more considerate and conscientious driver. It really is a matter of realizing that you and only you are responsible for your safety going from place to place. And you get really good at spotting trouble from a long way off.
AgBQ-00 nailed it. I did about 58k on bikes in 7 or 8 years of riding, a lot of that commuting from Dallas to Grapevine followed by tons of mountain riding in CO and a couplet rackdays. No crashes but plenty of close calls. You need to become the most prejudiced person on the planet when it comes to who you'll be next to on the road. '08 Nissan Altima with temp plates and oxidized paint? Stay the hell away from them!

If you're getting anything sporty, do yourself a favor and book a trackday. Nothing will help you improve faster. You will eventually get surprised on the street and be in a bad situation. Knowing what you are capable of and what the bike is capable of can save you. I've had plenty of times I came around a blind corner and a good clip, and had to get on the brakes because there were rocks or bighorn sheep, or, my personal favorite, some dip**** that thought doing a photoshoot with his ****box Chevy truck was an appropriate use of a public road.

I got some crap a long time ago on here for saying being able to use the front brake in a turn is a needed skill. Despite the insistence of some people, who probably use their front brake as a get-back whip mount and nothing else, that it's impossible to turn and apply the front brake at the same time, that skill made the instances above a minor annoyance (or really cool in the case of the sheep) when they could've been a wreck.

Shameless bike photos since COVID pushed the unwashed masses outdoors and I switched to dirt:

My Tuono 1100. Dream bike, every bit as good to ride as I wanted it to be, but Aprilia has pretty crap quality and will do everything in their power to get out of honoring their warranty.

Steet Triple R 675. Amazing bike, put ~43k on it, including going from Dallas to Austin to watch MotoGP at COTA 3 years in a row, with a 500 mile Hill Country loop each time.

bigjordo
AG
I had an r9t for about a year. Such a fantastic bike. Feels way faster than it actually is.
TXAGFAN
AG
Used to ride, had 4 bikes and put tens of thousands of miles on them on road trips (mostly touring bikes).

I had a car accident and scared the hell out of me thinking what would have happened if I'd been on bike. Sold my two bikes a couple months later. No regrets. Every year people are more and more distracted.
AgBQ-00
AG
The bikes I am really getting interested in

Indian Vintage stripped down

2022 Indian Chief
Sea Speed
AG
I want a barebones matte black bobber more than probably anything else in this world.
jefe95
AG
Harley has a two tone maroon and white softtail slim that's giving me all kinds of wants.
maverick2076
The Slim is a gorgeous bike, but that low seat height comes at a cost of a very diminished lean angle. Last year in Arkansas, a friend of mine was on one. We were doing so spirited riding in the Ozarks. He not only drug floorboards, but drug his engine guard, which actually lifted his wheel off the ground. Scary moment. He felt it was the first time he'd ever outridden a motorcycle. This year, when we went to NM for our annual trip, he was on a Pan America.
hunterjr81
This thread makes me sad. I just sold my two bikes I had a couple months ago (2014 Harley Fat Boy Lo & 2009 BMW R1200GS) and I miss riding. I wanted to buy a new bike thus the reason I sold my two others but my wife stated buying furniture was more important. She is a liar.

Now just trying to figure out how to get one without making her too mad lol.

The Indian Super Chief looks just like the bike I would want. I was also looking at the Triumph Bonneville T120 as I love the classic look of it also. If I had the money I would probably own 20+ bikes.
Rexter
hunterjr81 said:

This thread makes me sad. I just sold my two bikes I had a couple months ago (2014 Harley Fat Boy Lo & 2009 BMW R1200GS) and I miss riding. I wanted to buy a new bike thus the reason I sold my two others but my wife stated buying furniture was more important. She is a liar.

Now just trying to figure out how to get one without making her too mad lol.

The Indian Super Chief looks just like the bike I would want. I was also looking at the Triumph Bonneville T120 as I love the classic look of it also. If I had the money I would probably own 20+ bikes.

Did you get a killer dinette set?
moore42
AG
I had a Honda Magna most of the way thru college and a few years after. Put probably 15k miles on it in those few years, took some long weekend trips (Dad had a Goldwing, brother a 1200 sportster, a buddy with a Shadow).

Even after I sold it, I never really lost the itch to get another one. Would love to get another one someday.

I have always been more into the power cruisers (power with some comfort) first and then naked streetbikes second.

And i agree with everyone here...riding on 2 wheels makes you a better driver on 4. You learn to look for EVERYTHING. College station in 2001-2003 was no different...there were LOTS of bad drivers there.
Beckett12
AG
start an ag riding club? I am sure one already exists, but could be another excuse for a bike purchase...
tx1c
AG
I already have an A&M logo patch.
maverick2076
Suzuki has a new sport tourer coming out.

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/suzuki-introduces-2022-gsx-s1000gt-sport-tourer/?fbclid=IwAR1A2nGHrebfC1Bj2xHpp73rgnikCX_zRqkCFIL6PxhIL5yC-4I5dYq25Hg
AgBQ-00
AG
Honest question for you sport bike riders...How does your back and shoulders not kill you after time on that style bike?
OasisMan
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

2022 Indian Chief
what you think about the indian bobber for a 1st-timer
lb3
AG
Nice rides.

Btw, I was probably the one giving you crap for braking in a turn.
chimpanzee
I rode a little with my dad back when I was in school, he had a few different BMW's and a Honda VFR. I did the MSF course and still have the endorsement, but haven't ridden in forever.

My wife can't even see a motorcycle on the street without talking about gruesome death, so I'm thinking that ship has sailed. The stats aren't good, no sugar coating that, and living in Houston makes having a good time on one even more difficult.

But I will say, it is a very unique experience. Your concentration ratchets up and you clear your mind more fully than in any other conscious pursuit. You're brain is working, but it's meditative in a way, gets you out of the mental load that you have to deal with in your normal life completely. If they invent some tech that makes it impossible for *******s in paper plated 2008 Altimas to hit you, I'm getting one of these...

AgBQ-00
AG
I think they look like great bikes and have heard good things about them. But I have no personal experience on one. The one criticism I have heard is they ride a little stiff, but that is to be expected on that style I think.
AgBQ-00
AG
Saw a triumph on the road today. Was not a Bonnevile but was a great looking bike!

Eta: It was a speed master. Not sure if that is considered a Bonneville or not.
SquirrellyDan
AG
I'm getting one of theseā€¦. One of these days. May necessitate divorce but we'll see.

Grown Pear
AG
Sea Speed said:

I want a barebones matte black bobber more than probably anything else in this world.

Never ridden a motorcycle and highly unlikely I get one but I've added the Indian Scout Bobber as a dream vehicle. So tempting but think my wife would kill me Lol
NRH ag 10
AG
lb3 said:

Nice rides.

Btw, I was probably the one giving you crap for braking in a turn.
Thanks!

Eh, pretty mild compared to a guy on here saying he hoped I died because I'd lane split during commutes.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.