2008 Toyota Tacoma seems like it is missing when accelerating once in a while

5,852 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by zooguy96
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First thing I'm going to do is change the spark plugs. Yes, I should have replaced them many moons ago. At least I'm good at regularly changing the oil with a high performance oil filter and 20,000 mile full synthetic Mobil 1 oil every 5000 miles.

Changing the spark plugs doesn't look like the easiest thing (I'm definitely not mechanically inclined), but it doesn't look like the most difficult thing either. The only thing I've ever changed out was the AC blower motor, which was relatively easy.

I have a torque wrench to torque the plugs correctly. I've gotten NGK plugs and will make sure they are gapped correctly.

1. Should I add some anti-seize compound on the threads of the plugs and some dielectric grease on the wire boots? I'm doing all of this from Youtube videos.
2. Should I go ahead and replace all of the ignition coils, or should they be alright? I can't tell if it is the price per coil or for all 6.

https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tune-up-and-routine-maintenance/ignition-coil/p/ngk-coil-on-plug-ignition-premium-replacement-ignition-coil-48926/450780_0_0

I have 190k on the truck, and have had no major issues except for the normal bearing issues (have had them replaced) and the rear differential (had it replaced).
Ag for Life
AG
If that is 190K on the original plugs I would change those first and then reassess from there. If it's not throwing codes then I doubt the coils are bad. If you need replace them I would recommend using the OEM ones.

I always use anti-seize and dielectric grease but it's probably not 100% necessary. I think it does help when you have to do it again though.

I changed the spark plugs on my Dad's 2005 Tacoma back in the summer and it wasn't bad at all (I assume the 2008 is identical or almost identical, this is Toyota we're talking about ). There were a few air hoses, etc that had to be unplugged and moved out of the way, but it only took around 30 minutes and I was taking my time.

Be careful with the electrical connections to the coils though. They get brittle and break easily if you try and muscle the connections apart and the wires pull out easily too. I've learned the hard way on that!
Martin Q. Blank
What do you mean it's missing? Does it hesitate?
Flaith
AG
190k on the stock plugs? Toyotas are ridiculous. Agreed - if its not throwing misfire codes, I wouldn't sweat the coils yet.

Go ahead and check out your maintenance manual for any deferred maintenance. I know that differential and t-case fluid changes are recommended every 30k miles

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-08Tacoma/pdf/T-MMS-08Tacoma.pdf

You probably are due for brake fluid flush if you haven't done that in a while.

Any clunking in the suspension? I can only imagine that you have some worn out bushings in the LCAs, sway bar links, and tie rods.
zooguy96
Like it literally feels like one of the spark plugs doesn't fire and causes a sudden pause in acceleration (like microsecond).

How do I know how this feels? When I had my first truck (a Ford Ranger), I was an idiot and changed the plugs while the engine was warm, so had to have a heli-coil inserted because I had stripped the threading. So, I was driving around on 3 spark plugs for a couple of days as I was a poor student.
zooguy96
Flaith said:

190k on the stock plugs? Toyotas are ridiculous. Agreed - if its not throwing misfire codes, I wouldn't sweat the coils yet.

Go ahead and check out your maintenance manual for any deferred maintenance. I know that differential and t-case fluid changes are recommended every 30k miles

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-08Tacoma/pdf/T-MMS-08Tacoma.pdf

You probably are due for brake fluid flush if you haven't done that in a while.

Any clunking in the suspension? I can only imagine that you have some worn out bushings in the LCAs, sway bar links, and tie rods.
I bought at 80K, so probably not 190 on the original plugs.
zooguy96
And, yes, now that my truck is up there in miles, I'm trying to do some regular maintenance. I didn't have a car until I was 20, and my dad knew nothing about cars, so I didn't have someone to learn from. His idea of taking care of a car was running it into the ground until it died.

I have had the radiator fluid and transmission fluid drained and refilled 30-40k miles ago. I'll probably have them check out the serpentine belt and go ahead and drain and refill the brake fluid... and start looking at what regular maintenance I've missed.
zooguy96
Ag for Life said:

If that is 190K on the original plugs I would change those first and then reassess from there. If it's not throwing codes then I doubt the coils are bad. If you need replace them I would recommend using the OEM ones.

I always use anti-seize and dielectric grease but it's probably not 100% necessary. I think it does help when you have to do it again though.

I changed the spark plugs on my Dad's 2005 Tacoma back in the summer and it wasn't bad at all (I assume the 2008 is identical or almost identical, this is Toyota we're talking about ). There were a few air hoses, etc that had to be unplugged and moved out of the way, but it only took around 30 minutes and I was taking my time.

Be careful with the electrical connections to the coils though. They get brittle and break easily if you try and muscle the connections apart and the wires pull out easily too. I've learned the hard way on that!
Yeah, the video I've watched details all of the hoses etc. you need to disconnect.

Thanks to all the assistance. I'm an idiot when it comes to cars... which is why I drive a Toyota (reliable), but I'm trying to get better on regular maintenance.
Motot
AG
Had an 06 that had similar symptoms and changed cam position sensors and that solved the problem. I think it may have thrown a code for that. Cheap part so maybe worth a shot.

Edit, as I recall, I was too cheap to buy new ones and cleaned them off, both sides, and that solved the sputtering
zooguy96
sbtxag13 said:

Had an 06 that had similar symptoms and changed cam position sensors and that solved the problem. I think it may have thrown a code for that. Cheap part so maybe worth a shot.

Edit, as I recall, I was too cheap to buy new ones and cleaned them off, both sides, and that solved the sputtering

No codes thrown so far.
Goose
AG
Sounds like your plugs need changing either way, but I'd also clean your throttle body, and maybe take a look at your O2 sensor.
fixer
Please post pics of the plugs
Jack Cheese
AG
No need to apologize for not knowing about cars. This board is a good place to hang out if you want help.

I was in your boat until I started watching some vids and asking questions here. Everyone is willing to help, just listen and be patient.
Tumble Weed
I had an occasional miss recently and found that I had a loose wire when I went to change the plugs. Changed the plugs anyway, but the wire was causing the problem.
JamesPShelley
I suspect the coils and wiring are going to be brittle. Exercise caution, and patience.
zooguy96
fixer said:

I'll post them this weekend. Going to wait until then to have enough time to make sure I do it right and don't screw anything up.
Goose
AG
zooguy96 said:

fixer said:

I'll post them this weekend. Going to wait until then to have enough time to make sure I do it right and don't screw anything up.

No no no, this is the kind of job you do at night, in the Napa parking lot. With only the most basic of hand tools, most of which fit "almost". While your drunk cousin holds the flashlight sort of kind of mostly in the general area you're working…some of the time at best.
Tumble Weed
Goose said:

zooguy96 said:

fixer said:

No no no, this is the kind of job you do at night, in the Napa parking lot. With only the most basic of hand tools, most of which fit "almost". While your drunk cousin holds the flashlight sort of kind of mostly in the general area you're working…some of the time at best.

I have met a Mennonite that can tear down and rebuild a car with a crescent wrench. We get carried away with fancy tools and comfortable garages when motivation is all that is required.
zooguy96
I'm thinking these plugs were bad. 2 different types. At least 1/2 were changed out once.

I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
bbry81
Toyota is known for doing half ngk and half Denson. Changed mine today in a 05 4Runner. Didn't look as bad as yours though. Mine were white.
zooguy96
bbry81 said:

Toyota is known for doing half ngk and half Denson. Changed mine today in a 05 4Runner. Didn't look as bad as yours though. Mine were white.

So, may have been original. Eek!

The most difficult one to do was the front drivers side. That was a pain in the ass to get the clip on and off.
Ag for Life
AG
zooguy96 said:

bbry81 said:

The most difficult one to do was the front drivers side. That was a pain in the ass to get the clip on and off.

The good news is that new plugs should fix your miss!
zooguy96
Ag for Life said:

zooguy96 said:

bbry81 said:

Yes, hopefully. Now I have successfully changed the AC blower motor and spark plugs. I'm still a dumbass about cars, though.
Ag for Life
AG
zooguy96 said:

Ag for Life said:

zooguy96 said:

bbry81 said:

Yes, hopefully. Now I have successfully changed the AC blower motor and spark plugs. I'm still a dumbass about cars, though.

Well you just performed more routine maintenance activities yourself than 95% of today's male population so I'd call that a win.
bbry81
I used a u joint adapter. That was the only way I could get mine off.
fixer
I changed the plugs on my FIL's 2002 Dodge ram 5.9. They were original plugs with 180,000 miles on them. They looked like the middle three plugs in picture above (except the threads were coated in oil because Dodge).

He had all sorts of drivability issues and MPG problems. He gained over 3 mpg and seemed like 30 hp.

Of course this truck also had the following repairs at same time

Timing chain set..chain so worn the timing was jumping around.
Thermostat housing
Front cover cracked
Water pump shot
valve cover gaskets
Steering rack replacement
Front differential replacement with u joints
Radiator
fan clutch...the bearing seized.
Harmonic balancer was shot...
Brakes and front rotors
cap and rotor
all rubber hoses and heater hoses
"re-upholstered" the front driver seat.

Flaith
AG
Came here to say this. Factory Toyota uses half and half. Crazy they lasted this long, and they aren't fancy plugs iirc - just single electrode copper
zooguy96
The truck runs soooooo much better. And that is an understatement. Amazingly, I have been getting 19-20 mpg... so that should go up.

Anything else I should be looking to do? I've had the transmission fluid drained and re-filled about 30-50 k miles ago, had the radiator fluid flushed and filled, all the bearings have been replaced, the rear differential has been replaced, and the brakes and rotors were done about 40 k miles ago.

Right now, I'm considering having them look at the shocks and tie rods and look at the serpentine belt.
Flaith
AG
Sounds pretty sorted. Check for valve cover gasket leaks (pretty typical old car problem, but Toyota gaskets become very brittle and leaky in my experience). And yeah check the suspension bushings for cracks.

Also check steering rack and shocks for any leaking fluid
TexAg1987
bbry81 said:

Toyota is known for doing half ngk and half Denson.

Is there a reason for this or do they just have both on hand and depends which box is picked when assembling the heads?
zooguy96
Yeah, I've had a gasket replaced in the last year for an oil leak.
Ag for Life
AG
Leaf Spring Recall

Is your truck a 4x4 or Pre-Runner?
zooguy96
Ag for Life said:

Leaf Spring Recall

Is your truck a 4x4 or Pre-Runner?
4X4. Already had the leaf spring repair done. Thanks!
Flaith
AG
TexAg1987 said:

bbry81 said:

Toyota is known for doing half ngk and half Denson.

Is there a reason for this or do they just have both on hand and depends which box is picked when assembling the heads?
it's definitely planned - 3 on one bank, 3 on the other

I would imagine it is some supplier agreement, since NGK and Denso are Japanese companies with a huge partnership with Toyota
Green2Maroon
AG
I would recommend a full transmission flush with a good synthetic ATF. I did my 2010 Tacoma last year at just over 150k miles and it made a huge difference. I had cleaned the throttle body and replaced the spark plugs shortly after buying it in 2019.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.