2009 F150 dual zone AC problems

1,167 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by danieljustin06
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So my truck has Had a problem for awhile where only the passenger side will blow heat and driver side was pretty much always cold. I know it's the lower blend actuator. I live in Houston and 11 months out of the year it isn't a problem so I haven't done anything about it.
Well this past weekend on a trip down to the coast the driver side, and backseat air would only blow ambient air temp with the passenger side only cooling.

What is causing this problem now and is it easier to fix than replacing the blend actuator buried beneath the front dash/center console?
TXAGFAN
AG
What part of Houston? I have a mechanic in stafford area that is pretty reasonable and does a lot of fleet work so I'm certain he's done this repair on a n F150.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I have a heater blend door actuator, maybe I can just replace the passenger side without bothering with the drivers side to at least get it to cool everywhere
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Is this a Lariat with auto climate?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
KR but yes auto
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
West side, i10 near the BP campus
Shawdaddy
AG
had an issue with the AC on my 2012 F150 where the AC would only run on the one particular setting - wouldn't change. This was problematic, because it was set on low, and like you - I am ok with it for most of the year, but NOT in July and August! Ended up being the the blower motor resistor, which was an easy swap.
danieljustin06
AG
I have a blend motor that's brand new that I didn't get around to replacing. You can have it. Upper motor is easy to replace. Lower, is real hard.

danieljustin84 at gmail
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I have one for the lower I bought a while ago, I think I'm going to use it to replace the upper and see if I can get at least cold going again
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Shawdaddy said:

had an issue with the AC on my 2012 F150 where the AC would only run on the one particular setting - wouldn't change. This was problematic, because it was set on low, and like you - I am ok with it for most of the year, but NOT in July and August! Ended up being the the blower motor resistor, which was an easy swap.

Yea those are good I can change speed no problem, it's the temps that are the issue.
danieljustin06
AG
If you have someone with small fingers it'll be easier. The bolt can be hard to reach.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
So if you start the truck now and let it run and change the AC temp from cold to hot and then hot to cold, can you tell us which each side does?

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Driver side stays ambient Passenger side cools down with both on low
when turning heat on both sides passenger side will heat only, driver side ambient
With driver side only on heat and passenger on lowest setting driver side is ambient and passenger is cold

Before last weekend passenger side would respond accordingly to heat or cold settings, driver side was always cold only.

Now driver side is ambient air temp only with passenger still responsive.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
So I used this video and changed out the upper blend actuator

Still having the same problems.

Weird that it use to at least blow cold on the driver side and now nothing but ambient
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Did you change the blend door or mode door?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
So I bit the bullet and ripped the seats out and the center console and got to the lower blend actuator and got it out and put in a new one. Now I have a whole new set of problems. The driver side now only blows hot air, like high heat only while the passenger side still blows cold/ can adjust the temperature.
Do I need to somehow reset the actuator? Is there another step I need to do to somehow get it to recalibrate back to the cold position?
Do I need to just say **** it and take it to an ac repair guy?
danieljustin06
AG
Disconnect the battery. Let it sit for a little while (a min or two) then reconnect. It'll do a reset for the blend motor.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.