2022 Tundra photos leaked

32,639 Views | 272 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by El_duderino
JP76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any update on when you can actually start ordering a 2022 and get a realistic eta ?
Jbob04
AG
So no more V8? Only a twin turbo V6?
Garrelli 5000
AG
Over 200 photos of it here: https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g37621308/2022-toyota-tundra-revealed-gallery/?slide=1
azul_rain
I wish they would show the tundra with a better lift
ABATTBQ11
AG
Furlock Bones said:

JSKolache said:

Furlock Bones said:

JSKolache said:

Payload equal / slightly better than Raptor, FYI. If you need to haul 2k lbs of ish, then buy a 1 ton truck or rent a trailer.

The Raptor is a special purpose vehicle. The TRD Pro isn't even in the same stratosphere.
They are basically identical. Both are heavy twin turbo V6 IFS crewcabs whose primary purpose is to haul dad to work Mon-Fri and kids to soccer pratice on Saturday mornings. Change my mind.

LMAO

A Raptor and a Ted pro are no where near identical. Watch some videos on the raptor runs in Baja. No TRD pro is going to handle that without heavy modifications.

Just because most people use them the same way does not make them the same.

I think you missed the joke
azul_rain
What's with all the Ford bros talking trash
aggiepaintrain
AG
they are bored waiting for their trucks to get out of the shop
evan_aggie
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

they are bored waiting for their trucks to get out of the shop

Furlock Bones
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Furlock Bones said:

JSKolache said:

Furlock Bones said:

JSKolache said:

Payload equal / slightly better than Raptor, FYI. If you need to haul 2k lbs of ish, then buy a 1 ton truck or rent a trailer.

The Raptor is a special purpose vehicle. The TRD Pro isn't even in the same stratosphere.
They are basically identical. Both are heavy twin turbo V6 IFS crewcabs whose primary purpose is to haul dad to work Mon-Fri and kids to soccer pratice on Saturday mornings. Change my mind.

LMAO

A Raptor and a Ted pro are no where near identical. Watch some videos on the raptor runs in Baja. No TRD pro is going to handle that without heavy modifications.

Just because most people use them the same way does not make them the same.

I think you missed the joke

I think you missed the context. Kolache started the comparison to the Raptor.

The Tundras payload is only equal to ford's special purpose off-roader. That's not a good thing for the Tundra which would really be compared to Fords Tremor package not the Raptor.
RushHour
Jbob04 said:

So no more V8? Only a twin turbo V6?
Correct.

TTV6 or a TTV6 Hybrid
ttha_aggie_09
AG
hedge said:

What's with all the Ford bros talking trash
I have had 3 major issues with Tundra that prevented me from ever considering them. 2 have been fixed….

1) 24 gallon gas tank (fixed)
2) Ugly, old interior (better)
3) Payload of a Camry - still a problem

Not a big deal for most but that's an automatic disqualifier in my book and I really think they're great trucks. Most people I know that have them love them.
The Dog Lord
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

Over 200 photos of it here: https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g37621308/2022-toyota-tundra-revealed-gallery/?slide=1

Just can't help but feel that a few pics look good while way more look terrible. At times it reminds me of the old design (2005 and earlier) mixed with a Silverado, but the front end is closer to the more recent models. Some of those grills look awful.
azul_rain
its like if a tundra and a f150 had a kid and then that tundra also had a kid with a gmc at4 and then those two kids ****ed this is what we'd get
bkag9824
AG
They were stoned out of their minds when they designed this.

Right?
azul_rain
See above
longeryak
YouBet said:

AggieFrog said:

longeryak said:

El_duderino said:

YouBet said:

For those wondering about payload it's 1,940. It's in the articles posted on this thread. Maybe I'm missing something obvious. Maybe that is only for TRD PRO trim?

MAX payload is 1,940 which will be on a 2wd stripped down truck. The trd pro payload I believe was 1,490, and the limited crewmax with 6.5' bed was 1,270
How the eff do you mess that up when you had ~15 years to plan this generation?
Not sure it's messed up. What is the target market for the Tundra? It's not a work truck - 1400+ payload is more than enough for the vast majority of the Tundra market. Being capable off-road and a smooth ride are more important than payload.
I've only owned an El Camino so I'm not sure why I'm even commenting on this thread, but I was going to say this. 99.9% of people will never come close to the Tundra's payload max nor would Ford, Chevy, or Ram drivers.
Towing tongue weight counts against payload capacity so it affects more truck users than you are thinking it does. My travel trailer tongue weight is 550lbs but the trailer is only 4K total pounds. Two large adults, two older kids, and a dog is another 600+ pounds and now you've got 120 pounds of payload left for your stuff(full ice chest, camp chairs, shade canopy, generator and fuel, firewood, etc) in the bed. That is not enough.

Another way to think of it is tongue weights should be at least 10% of trailer weight to keep down sway issues. If you're towing a 12,000 trailer that is the max spec for the new Tundra it would eat at least 1,200lbs of payload capacity and leave 70lbs for occupants and stuff in the truck.

I just looked up the tongue weight of the Airstream Toyota used in the PR shots and it is 900 lbs dry weight(which means no stuff or water and waste water are included). That leaves 370 pounds of capacity in the truck for people and their stuff.
El_duderino
Apparently someone on one of the tundra forums grabbed a payload sheet and it's actually better than what I thought. A 2022 crewmax 6.5' bed SR5 has a payload of 1,720 which would make it 500lbs better than my 2017 SR5 crewmax had at 1,220.
Madman
AG
On the payload and capacity topic.

I work for a manufacturer. My catalog ratings are very conservative. I have Chinese competitors that have catalog ratings well over mine. Yet my company invented the standard formulas most industries use to come up with a performance number. I can take the Chinese products apart and use my math to come up with a real number and its never what the Chinese advertise.

So question. Do we always believe what the car companies publish? Or do we have a situation where car companies are willing to put a number on paper to "win"?

Because I would trust Toyota to be conservative in their published numbers. A company like Dodge, not so much.
Furlock Bones
AG
Madman said:

I work for a manufacturer. My catalog ratings are very conservative. I have Chinese competitors that have catalog ratings well over mine. Yet my company invented the standard formulas most industries use to come up with a performance number. I can take the Chinese products apart and use my math to come up with a real number and its never what the Chinese advertise.

So question. Do we always believe what the car companies publish? Or do we have a situation where car companies are willing to put a number on paper to "win"?

Because I would trust Toyota to be conservative in their published numbers. A company like Dodge, not so much.
in this case, no. i expect auto manufacturers to be on the money due to the massive liability involved.
Furlock Bones
AG
El_duderino said:

Apparently someone on one of the tundra forums grabbed a payload sheet and it's actually better than what I thought. A 2022 crewmax 6.5' bed SR5 has a payload of 1,720 which would make it 500lbs better than my 2017 SR5 crewmax had at 1,220.
i really hope that is the case. this would make way more sense.
trailrunner
AG
My understanding is that the owner's manual payload is the staring point for that basic configuration. It will be reduced by any weight of added options (ex TRD package) and dealer add ons (ex running boards). That's why you have to look at the door sticker. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
El_duderino

The head tundra engineer talks about that subject starting at 7:40 in this interview
JP76
A 2017 crew max is really only 1220 ?

My dc 2018 is 1600
longeryak
El_duderino said:

Then Toyota made a poor decision in not releasing them the full specs as this isn't the only board dissecting the numbers.
El_duderino
Yeah my initial reaction was based on TFL showing one truck with 1,270 payload. I think a fully loaded platinum with 6.5' bed. If the payload sheet I saw is correct, then Toyota addressed the 3 big issues against the current Gen. (payload, no 6.5' bed, mpg)
mts6175
AG
longeryak said:

El_duderino said:

Then Toyota made a poor decision in not releasing them the full specs as this isn't the only board dissecting the numbers.
Did Toyota release that number or did TFL? There were multiple rooms with each one having a different vehicle set up where reporters were moving in and out of to do their reporting from
Madman
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Madman said:

in this case, no. i expect auto manufacturers to be on the money due to the massive liability involved.
Maybe others don't inflate their numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota cuts a few percent of their number to always be well below a safety factor. Similar to my company.
AgGrad99
AG
All 200 of those pics were Limited, 1794 and TRD models. Im curious to see what the SR5 looks like. That'll be the majority of the ones on the road.
El_duderino
There's the gray SR5 trd sport video on YouTube. There's also a picture of a silver SR (very base model) out there as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.