Mustang Ecoboost 4 cylinder / V-8 engine differences

2,599 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by racerfink
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After I pay off my wife's Highlander, I'm looking at a Mustang (preferably a GT, but funds may prevent that). I've had a Civic Si, but hate the new body style and like the Q60, but have heard bad things about the reliability of the transmission.

1. How is the performance of the 4 cylinder ecoboost? How is the reliability of the turbo? Is there a big difference between the single turbo variety and the twin turbo?
2. Is it really worth the price difference to get the GT? For reference, I've owned an '08 Si and an '03 G-35, and they had plenty of power for me.
3. Which is more reliable between the two engines?

I'll keep my '08 paid off Taco as a weekend hauler / trips to Lowe's vehicle. Just wanting a little more exciting daily driver. I value reliability above all else.

I'm assuming this is like a 1Ags bat signal. TIA.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I haven't driven the newer Mustangs and of course can't speak to the reliability, but in terms of performance numbers on paper, the ~310/330 HP/Torque specs of the boost is more output than almost any stock V8 Mustang until the last 10-15 years or so. Without going back and looking at each year, I can't tell you for sure, but it is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

I remember when we thought the mid-80s GTs with roughly 225 HP was fast. This was right after they did the '80s version of the "ecoboost" with the SVO Mustang (short lived) then put roughly the same engine in a late '80s sporty T-Bird. I didn't drive the SVO Mustang but I did drive the T-Bird some. The weight of the car bogged it down a little but it moved down the road all right. Ironically, that engine was also 2.3 liters.

ETA: the good news is we are long passed the days of the NA 2.3 that put out something like 85 HP. That thing was a dog.
AggieEP
I've owned 4 5.0s and now I have a GT350, the best I can tell you is that there is a huge gulf between the performance of the Ecoboost and the GT, hell there is a grand canyon sized gulf between my GTs and now my GT350. Also, once you are in the mustang world you will start feeling the urge to upgrade... It's a slippery slope.

The GT now puts out 460 HP, bit in addition to that you get the V8 symphony which is priceless in comparison to a turbo 4.

If you are really on the hunt for something special, check out the Boss 302. That is a wild and fun car. A little older now, but if you get a 2013 the only thing it's missing is a backup camera. Things have been essentially bulletproof, I owned one for 2 years and regret letting it go still.

HumpitPuryear
AG
IMO the boost stang is a pretty nice compromise for a daily. I've driven a rental with an auto and was not blown away by the performance but I think a six manual would up the fun factor substantially and it's going to blow the gt away on mpg. The gt is going to be a different experience. Drive both would be my advice. You might also look at a 2013-14 gt with low miles. They are live axle vs irs and won't have the bells and whistles of the 2015+ but you can get the V8 experience for the price point of the ecoboost.
zooguy96
Good responses so far, keep em coming. Yeah, I'll probably go drive both. I suspect the ecoboost 4 cylinder will have plenty of power for me since the 207 hp of the Si with a manual transmission was fine for me, although I preferred the 280 of the G35 (although it had an automatic transmission). I'll definitely get a stick either way, and am probably 55/45 right now towards the ecoboost given the superior gas mileage and not feeling the need to have a super fast car - just something that is a little more fun to drive. I suspect I'd love the power of the GT, but at the end of the day be more drawn to the gas mileage and cost of the ecoboost (as far as getting a newer model).
Lynch
Look for a performance pack gt from 16-17, reasonably priced and they are very quick cars.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I've rented a number of Mustangs since 2015 and they've had plenty of power for what I needed (driving fast on LA freeways).

I've also rented a couple of Camaros and like the Stang better.

As mentioned, the 4 banger turbo of today would crush the 5.0 that we thought was fast in 1986.

And as mentioned, once you get into the Mustang GT game, there's endless possibilities.
Aggie Athlete Involved
AG
Go GT or you will regret it and lose more $ by swapping later
I had a 2017 Perf Pack GT, it was really fun!

The new ones are so well designed, so you are going fast but doesn't feel like it...definitely different than the older ones. So you will want the GT's extra power and did we mention the sound...?
PoppaB05
AG
So, I bought a basic 2019 Ecoboost with a stick new. Got a great deal. It's been lots of fun. However, i am about to sell it because 1) I can make about $6000 over what I paid 2 years ago and 2) I think I want a GT. It's been a great car though. There's definitely an itch that is always there.
zooguy96
Yeah, the fuel efficiency of the Ecoboost will probably win me over. I'm too practical to probably go with the GT.
JSKolache
AG
Practical? Its a sports car,het the best one you can afford.
chimpanzee
If you're comparing the two, just go ahead and get the GT.

I would recommend the 4-cyl if you wanted a coupe that got good mileage and had good power compared to other "regular" cars. If you think the extra power of the GT might be interesting, it will be, only buy the 4-cyl if that doesn't interest you at all.

I had a '14 GT for a while, and you can see how so many of them end up wrapped around trees and in ditches. You only have to be a little bit stupid with that much power to get into trouble. If you're not stupid, the effortless acceleration is addictive.
jwright4288
AG
Wife got a 2015 turbo 4 while we were engaged (so I couldn't veto it) and I pushed really hard for the v8

I hated the turbo 4. It was reliable but it was pathetic at speed on the freeway. It also sounded like a go kart
ac04
live a little, get the GT.
Yesterday
AG
No better sound than a Ford 5.0.
Ag for Life
AG
Sorry but this thread is a sign of the apocalypse unless the OP is a 16 year old girl.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Bruh...
racerfink
With gas prices going the way they are, take the Ecoboost and be happy! Between insurance, monthly pymt, and gas, you'll be iver $200 ahead a month.

My 2016 V6 Camaro has a 50 mile avg best of 36.2mpg, and I run 13.9's at the dragstrip. Fast enough to beat my friends 2011 4.6 GT more often than not. Also, for at least the last five or six years, the automatics are faster and get better fuel mileage. The Ecoboost Mustang and Ecotec Camaro both have a healthy aftermarket as well. It's pretty common to get 400hp without going into the motor, and the mpg doesn't suffer much, and is still better than the V8.
AggieEP
I mean, I get what you're saying with the fuel economy... but the sound

And realistically, I've always watched the ecoboost engines make their advertised mileage per gallon for like 10000 miles, and then it craters for some reason.

Do the math if you're really worried about MPGs, and then ask yourself if it's worth the sacrifice in SPGs

I bought an automatic V6 Mustang in 2002 even though I wanted a GT (well let's be honest, I was too poor to afford the GT and barely could afford the V6 at that point in my life)

I bought a base GT in 2013 even though I had the money to afford the Boss 302. I sat there and wished I had a Boss until I finally bought one in 2017. I bought the base GT because it was the "smart" decision.

I bought a Bullitt Mustang in 2019 even though I really wanted a GT350, because I was trying to be practical and budget conscious... All I did was lust after the GT350 until I just went and bought one.

All of this to say, you need to buy what you want to buy if you have the disposable income for a "fun" car. There is nothing worse than lusting after another car because you were trying to be practical. Sounds like you have the Tacoma for practical reasons.

(Also, as you can see from my purchases, I'm not a good influence for you on this thread
EMY92
AG
The only change in my Ecoboost's MPG average depends on the amount of highway driving I do.
AggieEP
All I know is that our 2016 explorer sport used to get 21+ on the highway and now I get about 19.

I've heard similar stories from others with the 3.5 boost.
vansprinkle
AG
Yesterday said:

A Ford 5.2?

How about a Chevy 5.7, 6.0, 6.2, or 7.0?
aggieforester05
AG
Watch the savagegeese review of the ecoboost Mustang and then go buy a GT. At the very least it will convince you to buy the performance pack at a minimum. Then start saving for boost for the GT because that's the next step and the 5.0l is nasty with boost!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
r said:

. Fast enough to beat my friends 2011 4.6 GT more often than not.
GT what? No 4.6L GT Mustang in 2011.
Yesterday
AG
vansprinkle said:

Yesterday said:

A Ford 5.2?

How about a Chevy 5.7, 6.0, 6.2, or 7.0?

Have had corvettes with the 5.7 and 6.0. Doesn't sound as good. Although the corsa extreme exhaust sounds nasty
racerfink
Got it confused with his Boss 302. The GT is a 2010.
scd88
AG
I never understood why someone would buy a "muscle car" that had anything smaller than a nice rumbling V-8 in it. Get the gas on a six or turbo 4 and it sounds like a Honda Civic.

racerfink
Muscle cars are four seat mid-size sedans. The Mustang is a Pony car.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.