What to do with my 2010 Ford Flex

1,699 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by inozips
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
My 2010 Ford Flex (134,740 miles) has a failing/failed transmission. I fear the the cost of repair or replacement may exceed the value of the vehicle. I know I probably ignored warning signs that something was amiss. Occasionally, when putting it in reverse, it 'jolted' into it. The last time I drove the car, it would not get out of the lower gear when I accelerated. I was able to put it in neutral, coast for a few seconds, put it in drive and then limped on home, hoping I wouldn't have to stop again. I haven't driven it since (happened last month). Would I be able to sell it 'as is' or, given the current car market, would I better off seeing about getting the cost of repair or replacement and hope that another expensive problem doesn't happen before the market settles down and there's more inventory?

My first car was a 1990 Ford Taurus that had an expensive transmission repair at about the same age and mileage and it didn't last a year before I had to get rid of it.

FYI - I am not very knowledgeable about car mechanics. Not counting the car I inherited from my parents when I was in college, this is only my 3rd car in 31 years. I keep up with routine maintenance by taking it to my trusted mechanic for any recommended services.

DeWrecking Crew
My advice, since you have a trusted mechanic, take it in for diagnosis and see what we're looking at, only way to make an informed decision is to be informed.
MiMi
S
Thanks. He doesn't do transmission work. It's the same mechanic I used for my Ford Taurus. He took one look at that car and said to take it to the local transmission place. Before I go through the hassle of having it towed to be looked at at a place I don't really trust (I didn't have a great experience previously), I was trying to see if selling it would be a viable option.
DeWrecking Crew
Does it have any lights on? Did you trusted mechanic do a transmission flush recently by chance?
DeWrecking Crew
1ags is a Flex guy so he'll know more but I'd at least look to see if TSBs 10-21-2 and 11-9-11 have ever been done, if not, call the dealership and get an estimate on what those would cost, at that point you'll at least have a little more info to go off of.
JB
AG
If be interested in it if the price is right.

Where is it located?

I think you need to get a $$ number from a transmission shop so you know wheat you need to do.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Have you tried draining and filling? Not flushing.
MiMi
S
It's in College Station. I have absolutely no idea what the resale is worth. I'll have to do some ciphering to figure it out. I think I'm just ready to 'start over' and not deal with troubleshooting the issue.
MiMi
S
Quote:

Have you tried draining and filling? Not flushing.
No. I haven't done anything to yet except park it in my driveway. My enthusiasm is pretty low about trying to resolve this even though I loved this car. I remember some of the early reviews I read about the Flex that it was like 'driving a hallway,' but it's been a great vehicle. With my kids now becoming young adults, I really don't need the extra space any more.
Aggietaco
AG
If it's a secondary vehicle that you don't want/need, now is the time to sell regardless of transmission issues. But , like 1Ags suggested, a simple fix may make it worth much more.
Tim Weaver
So you've tried nothing, and you're all out of ideas?

Step one is to check the transmission fluid. Is it full? Does it look or smell burned?

Step two is to just do the basic maintenance that ford said you didn't need, but in reality you need it unless you want to throw away the whole car and buy a new ford which is what ford would like you to do. Drain and refill with new fluid, and change the filter.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit!
JB
AG
Mimi,

Sent you a PM about the the Flex.
dubi
AG
There are a few recommended transmission shops local to BCS. Holler if you want me to get you some recommendations.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I would change the transmission fluid first before I did anything.
inozips
AG
Take it to Oliver Bros in Bryan. They helped with the trans on my 94 Impala SS, it had over 200k miles on it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.